New System Set Up

a1topgun

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie here. I have set up a few webcams at our local small airport so I have some (very little) experience. We are building a new terminal building at the airport and the manager asked me to set up a new security camera system with 7 – 8 cameras. Looking at Amcrest, Lorex, or Dahua system with a DVR/NVR. POE and Open Source are required and I will use Blue Iris.

One question I can’t find an answer to is do I need a DVR/NVR or can I just dedicate a computer as a server?

I would appreciate any comments and or gottcha’s in setting up a system like this.

Thank in advance to any and all who respond.

Ron

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above - Blue Iris/computer is basically an NVR. You don't need both.

What kind of airport is it? Does it get any federal or FAA funds?

If so, you probably need NDAA compliant gear and that throws out anything Dahua (they make Lorex and Amcrest) or Hikvision, among others.

In any event, I would look into the specifics of NDAA and make sure even a private airport wouldn't need to comply.

a1topgun

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 above - Blue Iris/computer is basically an NVR. You don't need both.

What kind of airport is it? Does it get any federal or FAA funds?

If so, you probably need NDAA compliant gear and that throws out anything Dahua (they make Lorex and Amcrest) or Hikvision, among others.

In any event, I would look into the specifics of NDAA and make sure even a private airport wouldn't need to comply.
It is a small GA airport. FAA funding for new terminal building, but specified security only applies to gate and building entry locks. I will check the NDAA but I don't think it will apply.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Newbie here. I have set up a few webcams at our local small airport so I have some (very little) experience. We are building a new terminal building at the airport and the manager asked me to set up a new security camera system with 7 – 8 cameras. Looking at Amcrest, Lorex, or Dahua system with a DVR/NVR. POE and Open Source are required and I will use Blue Iris.

One question I can’t find an answer to is do I need a DVR/NVR or can I just dedicate a computer as a server?

I would appreciate any comments and or gottcha’s in setting up a system like this.

Thank in advance to any and all who respond.

Ron
Requirements ..

PoE => thus NVR .. IP ethernet

Open Source .. not certain how to fill this requirement here ..

NVR .. blue iris VMS running on a PC will fill this functionality .. some nvrs have poe ports .. so you will need a PoE switch ..

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

a1topgun

n3wb
Reaction score
Requirements ..

PoE => thus NVR .. IP ethernet

Open Source .. not certain how to fill this requirement here ..

NVR .. blue iris VMS running on a PC will fill this functionality .. some nvrs have poe ports .. so you will need a PoE switch ..
Yes, I was thinking along the lines of a NVR for the POE ports and not having to run a separate POE switch. The town will likely provide a desktop for the server, probably Windows. I would prefer Linux, I use Ubuntu on my personal machine.
Is there a Linux distro that works best for Blue Iris?

a1topgun

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you will need an external PoE switch if using BI
If I use a NVR with POE ports and a desktop PC running BI, I will still need a POE switch? Or just run a POE switch to the router and all storage is on the desktop PC using BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An NVR and Blue Iris/computer are both considered a VMS system.

You only need one or the other. Although some run both as a redundant system.

But for either to work, they will need to be on 24/7 and have storage drives in them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure how deep this goes, but my first brush would be it would have to be NDAA compliant since the airport receives federal funds even if the camera isn't being used on the terminal receiving funds Folks are saying even parking structures at airports need NDAA compliant. You would hate to spend money to then find out you are out of compliance.

Quote: "At first glance it may seem that the NDAA ban only applies to federal agencies, however, there are a number of public entities that rely on federal funds in the form of grants. Airports are one of these entities.

While most airports are state or city-owned, many receive federal funding for capital improvements through the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which operates under the Federal Airport Act."

a1topgun

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, I think i've got the server / NVD part straight.

As far as NDAA, that is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. We tried to get the FAA to inculde a security system in the bid spec. and they specificly stated they would not allow the funds to be used for cameras. The FAA would not fund a conference room in the new builing. You should see our very spacious "Pilot's Lounge" with the big table and nice chairs! The town is funding the camera system and the NDAA states no government grant funds can be used for cameras. And on top of that almost all afforable camreas are made / sourced from China. As far as I know there are a couple of local airports that had government funds to renovate their facilities and they installed camera systems using town funds. I don't think they were told to tear out their systems.

Now back to Linux Open Source management software, I have set up some cameras using ZoneMinder and it works, but I find it not very intuitive. Anyone have thoughts on Linux Open Source management software?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would think town funds would require NDAA, but what do I know LOL. Just pointing it out. Keep in mind I am not a fan of NDAA, but don't want you coming back here saying you got bad advice if they are needed.

So you have jumped from NVR to Blue Iris and now to Linux open source lol.

NVR and BI are not open source, so if that is a requirement then toss those two out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one source of NDAA compliant cameras: Shop Security Cameras, Recorders & Complete Systems

As for software, there are several linux-based NVR programs. Shinobi comes to mind.

You'll get much better community support at this forum if you run Windows and Blue Iris though. It can run in a virtual machine just fine if you prefer.