New to NVR request direction

Dingoboy77

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems to me I could buy a POE switch and a Non POE NVR and actually break up the two functions, is that not correct? Seems to me that an NVR with POE has a better chance of possible problems if the switch dies and you would have to replace the full NVR. Is there any advantage to having the POE included with the NVR? I mean maybe a speed advantage or something like that?
I can only answer your questions with generalities because almost everything will be relative to your specific situation. Could you buy a non-POE NVR and a POE switch? Absolutely, however, your happiness will depend heavily on the quality of NVR, POE switch, cables, and quality of cable termination. Is there an advantage to having POE included with the NVR? Absolutely, that's probably the main driving factor in having POE standard on most NVR's. Does it end up being an advantage to you? Again, that will depend heavily on how it fits your scenario.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can only answer your questions with generalities because almost everything will be relative to your specific situation. Could you buy a non-POE NVR and a POE switch? Absolutely, however, your happiness will depend heavily on the quality of NVR, POE switch, cables, and quality of cable termination. Is there an advantage to having POE included with the NVR? Absolutely, that's probably the main driving factor in having POE standard on most NVR's. Does it end up being an advantage to you? Again, that will depend heavily on how it fits your scenario.
I guess I don't understand really. I mean if using quality equipment (switches and cables as you say) I don't really understand the difference. I guess there is a single point of failure at the interface of the switch to the NVR though. Thanks for the info.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to having the POE included with the NVR?
It's simpler for a non-technical person to deal with, not only from the hardware perspective, but also for network management. When it works right, all of the network configuration is plug-and-play, no need for the user to know about IP addresses and all of the associated management of them. There's also the security advantage of the cameras being isolated from the rest of the user's network. I prefer the NVR not having the switch built in, but could see myself advising a non-technical person to get the built-in POE switch.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's simpler for a non-technical person to deal with, not only from the hardware perspective, but also for network management. When it works right, all of the network configuration is plug-and-play, no need for the user to know about IP addresses and all of the associated management of them. There's also the security advantage of the cameras being isolated from the rest of the user's network. I prefer the NVR not having the switch built in, but could see myself advising a non-technical person to get the built-in POE switch.
Ahhhh That makes sense. I assume the internal switch of the NVR is an unmanaged switch, where as if you used an external switch, you actually have a choice between managed and unmanaged switches.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this NVR equipment and there is so much out there it's difficult to pick and choose what I need. I would like a 16 channel NVR just so I don't run out of channels. I am thinking I would like 8 to be POE and 8 to be WIFI. I would also like to add a License Plate reader and of course would like to be able to use the LPR software to read and store license plates.

That's the basics of what I would like to start with. I am thinking of just starting with the NVR box itself and add cameras as needed. I found this on Amazon and curious if it would be a good starting point? If there is something you would recommend that may work better, or better quality, please speak up.

Amazon.com : Lorex 16-Channel (8 Wired and 8 Wi-Fi ) Fusion 4K Security Camera NVR IP Recorder with 2TB : Electronics

Thanks

FYI - posting more info on the Lorex NVR mentioned .. looks like the NVR sold in the Lorex kit at Costco.

In general, getting a better pro version without WiFi is a better option imho .. can always use a WiFi router if you must connect up any WiFi cameras ( I would only use a couple of WiFi cameras to augment a good ip poe wired setup .. )

1674176106535.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - posting more info on the Lorex NVR mentioned .. looks like the NVR sold in the Lorex kit at Costco.

In general, getting a better pro version without WiFi is a better option imho .. can always use a WiFi router if you must connect up any WiFi cameras ( I would only use a couple of WiFi cameras to augment a good ip poe wired setup .. )
Yeah that was sort of my original intent but have moved past that due to the input of others here. Probably going with something like this. I just need to decide if I want the POE switch built in or not. They make this I already have the camera on order as well as a hard drive to get me going.

Amazon.com : EmpireTech NVR 32Channel 1U 2HDDs 16PoE 4K&H.265 Pro Network Video Recorder Max 320 Mbps Incoming Bandwidth ,NVR5232-16P-4KS2E : Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seems to me that an NVR with POE has a better chance of possible problems if the switch dies and you would have to replace the full NVR.
Not always true. You can still buy an external switch when the internal switch dies. The NVR is then not trash, assuming the uplink port is functioning and just the POE part is broken.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, I already have the camera everyone uses for LPR ordered and should be here today or tomorrow so don't think to yourselves why did he ask in the first place if he wasn't going to follow our advice..... Anyway is there any reason this camera could not be used as well? I do see that it is a 4MP instead of the 2MP (more storage space required) and it does have an adjustable focal length but I was just curious if this could not work as well. I may just buy one and try it.
1674313319906.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like that is the ring of IR which means it won't be very good and is more likely to attract spider webs and then IR reflection all night on the webs LOL.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like that is the ring of IR which means it won't be very good and is more likely to attract spider webs and then IR reflection all night on the webs LOL.

Ahhh Okay, knew there had to be a reason.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I already have the camera everyone uses for LPR ordered and should be here today or tomorrow so don't think to yourselves why did he ask in the first place if he wasn't going to follow our advice..... Anyway is there any reason this camera could not be used as well? I do see that it is a 4MP instead of the 2MP (more storage space required) and it does have an adjustable focal length but I was just curious if this could not work as well. I may just buy one and try it.
View attachment 151562
You want to check the specs, look for sensor size .. and try to determine the OEM if possible.

Also the 262 ft night vision spec listed in the title is probably super optimistic

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to check the specs, look for sensor size .. and try to determine the OEM if possible.

Also the 262 ft night vision spec listed in the title is probably super optimistic
Yeah optimistic by about 230 feet LOL. Once you dial in the camera off of auto shutter so that you can get a clean capture of a person, the IR is not going to be good much past 30 feet if that.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heck yeah, about 30 minutes of working with the new camera and it's on my network. I am sure it would take a person who is familiar with the equipment to do it much quicker.
1674390850361.png

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And here we are in Blue Iris, 7 minutes later. Sorry got distracted downloading the CodeProject AI. The reason I am showing this is just to show how easy it is to start with no experience and help from the members here with equipment to start with.
1674391178509.png

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my NVR in today. It's the model NVR5232-16P-4KS2E. Very little documentation. It looks like just installing the hard drive and hooking a monitor up to get it to boot. Is that correct? I have the HD hooked up and it spins up, I have the monitor plugged in to the HDMI port but nothing comes up. Eventually a blue status light comes up on the front panel and from what I have found, that's a problem.

It seems strange there is no mention of formatting the HD, or since this is Linus, low level and then mounting? I just seem to be missing something here. Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I was not sure what to search for, and what I did search for, didn't seem to help.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Indeed interesting, but seems to differ per model number. The links in @tigerwillow1 's post are a bit old. The newest user guide/quick start guide can be found under the 'Downloads' tab here.

In the user guide on page 24/25 is where my screenshot comes from.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Indeed interesting, but seems to differ per model number. The links in @tigerwillow1 's post are a bit old. The newest user guide/quick start guide can be found under the 'Downloads' tab here.

In the user guide on page 24/25 is where my screenshot comes from.
Are you using the HDMI port of the VGA port for your display? I am using the HDMI and wondering if I need to try the VGA. I think I have a VGA connected display in my attic.