New to NVR request direction

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect that the NVR defaulted resolution is higher than the monitor you are plugging it into.

You will need to login via the NVR GUI from a computer and change the resolution.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspect that the NVR defaulted resolution is higher than the monitor you are plugging it into.

You will need to login via the NVR GUI from a computer and change the resolution.
Ahhhh that's an interesting take. The display is the one I use on my laptop daily. I wasn't sure if I could login remotely since it is directly out of the box.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

There we go, thanks for the idea. I thought it had to be done with a display attached for the first time. Evidently I was wrong. Thanks again.

1674476314936.png

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay guys, thanks to your help I am moving right a long. I have the OpenALPR services running and reading license plates both day and night very reliably. I am ready to add another camera but have a question. I get it, as I was told, I think in this thread, the larger the sensor on the camera the better. I get that, more light to process. My question is, on the camera we all agree works well, the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E with a sensor size of 1/2.8" and a 2 MP output, why would we not consider the IPC-B5442E-Z4E which has a 4 MP output? I get it, not all of my cameras need to read license plates but I am working on sort of a neighborhood watch and I want to make sure I present the best camera, not only for the application, but also the cost. These cost the same through Andy.

Ohhhh I may have just seen the reason, is it because of the lense? The 2MP has a 5.3 to 64mm lense where the 4MP has an 8-32mm lense. Is that why?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay guys, thanks to your help I am moving right a long. I have the OpenALPR services running and reading license plates both day and night very reliably. I am ready to add another camera but have a question. I get it, as I was told, I think in this thread, the larger the sensor on the camera the better. I get that, more light to process. My question is, on the camera we all agree works well, the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E with a sensor size of 1/2.8" and a 2 MP output, why would we not consider the IPC-B5442E-Z4E which has a 4 MP output? I get it, not all of my cameras need to read license plates but I am working on sort of a neighborhood watch and I want to make sure I present the best camera, not only for the application, but also the cost. These cost the same through Andy.

Ohhhh I may have just seen the reason, is it because of the lense? The 2MP has a 5.3 to 64mm lense where the 4MP has an 8-32mm lense. Is that why?
Yep, that is why! The Z4E is half the focal length of the Z12E and it has been proven that OpenALPR can read D1 resolution if the optical zoom is there, so as you mentioned, since they are the same price, it is better to go with the more powerful optical zoom camera for plate reading purposes.

Outside of LPR, if the distance you want to IDENTIFY is within 60ish feet or so, then the Z4E is a better choice. If the objects are beyond that to say 150 feet or so, then the Z12E is the better choice.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, that is why! The Z4E is half the focal length of the Z12E and it has been proven that OpenALPR can read D1 resolution if the optical zoom is there, so as you mentioned, since they are the same price, it is better to go with the more powerful optical zoom camera for plate reading purposes.

Outside of LPR, if the distance you want to IDENTIFY is within 60ish feet or so, then the Z4E is a better choice. If the objects are beyond that to say 150 feet or so, then the Z12E is the better choice.
Awesome, thanks again for your help. I will catch on eventually. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks again for your help. I will catch on eventually. :)
You are doing great and have come a long way in a short time. Already jumping whole body into CodeProject and trying out the ANPR!

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are doing great and have come a long way in a short time. Already jumping whole body into CodeProject and trying out the ANPR!
Yeah CodeProject is giving me a little issue, but I am sure it will work out in the long run. OpenALPR seems go do well but I would like to have the integration into BI. I will get there.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah CodeProject is giving me a little issue, but I am sure it will work out in the long run. OpenALPR seems go do well but I would like to have the integration into BI. I will get there.
Yeah I have been holding on to Deepstack as that works well in my case. I use OpenALPR as well and would love the BI integration (I currently am using the free component of Plate Recognizer as that has BI Integration but it is limited to 2500 plates/month). I tried CodeProject last week with the new integration but I am having more issues than you with it.

Have you looked at this utility - it is fabulous and takes your OpenALPR to a whole other level. It is so nice to just jump in quickly and see what has gone by that hasn't before and then see if it is something I need to look at more. It has helped solve several incidents in my neighborhood.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I have been holding on to Deepstack as that works well in my case. I use OpenALPR as well and would love the BI integration (I currently am using the free component of Plate Recognizer as that has BI Integration but it is limited to 2500 plates/month). I tried CodeProject last week with the new integration but I am having more issues than you with it.

Have you looked at this utility - it is fabulous and takes your OpenALPR to a whole other level. It is so nice to just jump in quickly and see what has gone by that hasn't before and then see if it is something I need to look at more. It has helped solve several incidents in my neighborhood.

Oh man, I will have to look into that. Thanks, that's exactly what I would like to be able to do, help with problems in our neighborhood. They seem to have risen in the last couple years.

I wasn't exactly sure how to get Plate Recognizer to work just yet. I wasn't sure if my free sign up would do it. I don't think the 2500 limit would be a problem in my case, as I am on a culdesac so not a huge amount of traffic. I will be ofline for a bit, heave to head out but will look at the utility you recommend once I get back.

Thanks Again

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah in a cul-de-sac the Plate Recognizer may be all you need.

But the utility and fullness of it makes the utility hard to want to leave OpenALPR.

If BI integration can make something similar then maybe, but it is nice to see a questionable car and then quickly see had they been back here before or not. We have caught folks that came thru during the day and then came back at night a month later, so we were able to get clean captures during the day of the car and even see the occupants.

That utility makes it a quick search. Could you imagine how long it would take to scrub video and see if that car had passed by before?

Last edited:

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah in a cul-de-sac the Plate Recognizer may be all you need.

But the utility and fullness of it makes the utility hard to want to leave OpenALPR.

If BI integration can make something similar then maybe, but it is nice to see a questionable car and then quickly see had they been back here before or not. We have caught folks that came thru during the day and then came back at night a month later, so we were able to get clean captures during the day of the car and even see the occupants.

That utility makes it a quick search. Could you imagine how long it would take to scrub video and see if that car had passed by before?
I may do this a little later. It looks like I would have to install a few more things on my machine as well as understand some C# and create some databases? It's been a long long time since I have messes with any of that.

Suggested setup includes the following, all on a single Windows machine will make this easiest.
  • OpenALPR agent installed with the local webserver enabled and retention of local images set as high as reasonable for your system.
  • Visual Studio Community Edition - This is free, you'll just need some basic knowledge of C# or the ability to learn it quickly. Every attempt was made to extract the settings into a settings file so minimal editing should be required.
  • SQL Server Express - This is free, and is the engine that will store the data.
  • SQL Server Management Studio - This is free, a separate install from SQL Server Express. This will be used to manage the SQL Server instance to create the initial tables and stored procedures.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I may do this a little later. It looks like I would have to install a few more things on my machine as well as understand some C# and create some databases? It's been a long long time since I have messes with any of that.

Suggested setup includes the following, all on a single Windows machine will make this easiest.
  • OpenALPR agent installed with the local webserver enabled and retention of local images set as high as reasonable for your system.
  • Visual Studio Community Edition - This is free, you'll just need some basic knowledge of C# or the ability to learn it quickly. Every attempt was made to extract the settings into a settings file so minimal editing should be required.
  • SQL Server Express - This is free, and is the engine that will store the data.
  • SQL Server Management Studio - This is free, a separate install from SQL Server Express. This will be used to manage the SQL Server instance to create the initial tables and stored procedures.
I have ZERO experience C# and those programs. The detailed instructions in that thread allowed me to get it up and running in about an hour. That included downloading the SQL programs and following the steps.

Once it is running, you can make the retention of local images pretty small. You can set it up to have the database scrape for them at whatever interval you like.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have ZERO experience C# and those programs. The detailed instructions in that thread allowed me to get it up and running in about an hour. That included downloading the SQL programs and following the steps.

Once it is running, you can make the retention of local images pretty small. You can set it up to have the database scrape for them at whatever interval you like.
Okay, I will do it a little later. Probably tomorrow.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I linked this one to, but here are the detailed instructions thread.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just figured I would keep the thread I started for another question. I am wanting to replace an old outdated camera that was left on my front porch from the previous owners of the house. Since the camera recommendation of the LPR camera you all recommended turned out so well, I just thought I would ask your recommendation here too. This is the camera I am replacing.

1675869768459.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you want it to be an overview/observe camera or IDENTIFY at a distance more than 10 feet?

How much light is there?

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you want it to be an overview/observe camera or IDENTIFY at a distance more than 10 feet?

How much light is there?
Hmmmm good question. That camera is about 8-10 feet from my front door. I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing to be able to Identify someone but mainly for observing. As far as light, I would say, even though we do leave the front porch lights on, I ought to assume very little light if they are forgotten. I guess I would rather prepare for the worse case.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would recommend the 5442 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed camera.

You could probably get by with a 2MP fixed camera there, but the cost difference isn't really enough to justify it, especially if you want IDENTIFY purposes.

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would recommend the 5442 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed camera.

You could probably get by with a 2MP fixed camera there, but the cost difference isn't really enough to justify it, especially if you want IDENTIFY purposes.
Cool, I will look into those.