Newbie help choosing cameras/nvr

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very green to cameras but am learning a lot reading some posts here. I'm looking for an HD camera system for my rural home. I would like around 6-8 outside cameras, nvr, and preferably a setup that has poe, as several of the desired camera locations have no nearby power.

Here's the dilemma...I'm kinda far from town, so my internet speed sucks. I mean it really sucks. 1mbs upload speed kind of sucking. I can only get AT&T dsl here, and unlikely to change anytime soon.

I currently have 4 ADT pulse cameras that work pretty well, but they only record 30 second clips. I plan on eliminating these and getting actual surveillance cameras. I would like my new NVR to record in HD 24/7. I would like to view one or more cameras online occasionally when I am not home, but don't need great resolution for online viewing. Just to see if someone is parked in my driveway or something like that. If something bad happens, I'll have the NVR footage in HD when I get home.

Basically, I want something that will not kill my bandwidth, but still has high resolution nvr storage.
Maybe a system that only puts live footage online when its requested.

Does something like this exist at a reasonable price? I'd prefer a packaged deal vs putting components together separate, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks for helping out.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------------
I do not use an NVR i use Blue Iris software on a standalone PC.
Most of the better cameras have more than one stream, The first stream has high resolution and the second stream has lower resolution. I would record both streams and then view the one that meets your available bandwidth.
------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess