Newbie... little lost with IP

RickInJax

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Newbie here with the IP thing. I have an analog system at the house and it works great but tried to install an IP at my sister-in-laws and it did not work.
I have an IT background but not a network analyst or server admin, just enough to be dangerous! :)
Hoping to contribute when I can and learn otherwise.
Thanks for the join.
Rick In Jacksonville, FL

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the make and model of the NVR. What are the make and models of your camera.

The screen shot indicates that the cameras are connect to the NVR.

What do you mean that it does not work ? What does not work ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see the cameras in my list but cannot view. So I am missing something.
From your screenshot - it looks like you have a Hikvision NVR with PoE ports - but the cameras are connected to a PoE switch on the LAN.
I'm assuming here that you know the admin password for the cameras, as they have been 'Activated'

Does the camera wiring stop you from being able to plug the cameras into the NVR PoE ports?
If not -

With the NVR powered off, access each camera web GUI and use the Maintenance menu to reset the camera to factory defaults.
This will put it into an 'Inactive' state.
When you've done all the cameras, disconnect them from the PoE switch.
Power up the NVR, let it boot.
Connect the first camera to an NVR PoE port.
After a minute or so, it should be 'Activated' and should connect.
Repeat for the rest, one at a time.

If yes - and you want the leave the cameras connected to the PoE switch -
Access the NVR web GUI, and under 'Camera Management', on the first channel use the Modify button to change the mode of the channel to manual.
Change the IP address to match that of the first camera.
Set the password to match what you used on the camera.
Click OK.
The camera should connect.
Repeat for the remaining channels and cameras.

RickInJax

n3wb
Reaction score
From your screenshot - it looks like you have a Hikvision NVR with PoE ports - but the cameras are connected to a PoE switch on the LAN.
I'm assuming here that you know the admin password for the cameras, as they have been 'Activated'

Does the camera wiring stop you from being able to plug the cameras into the NVR PoE ports?
If not -

With the NVR powered off, access each camera web GUI and use the Maintenance menu to reset the camera to factory defaults.
This will put it into an 'Inactive' state.
When you've done all the cameras, disconnect them from the PoE switch.
Power up the NVR, let it boot.
Connect the first camera to an NVR PoE port.
After a minute or so, it should be 'Activated' and should connect.
Repeat for the rest, one at a time.

If yes - and you want the leave the cameras connected to the PoE switch -
Access the NVR web GUI, and under 'Camera Management', on the first channel use the Modify button to change the mode of the channel to manual.
Change the IP address to match that of the first camera.
Set the password to match what you used on the camera.
Click OK.
The camera should connect.
Repeat for the remaining channels and cameras.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you guys for your replies and help!
I wasn't sure if I needed to start another thread.
I am trying to get this to work at my Sister-In-laws house which is 4 hours away... so I did what I could the first visit. It will be Thanksgiving before my next trip and I am trying to get help.
They bought this house with the IP cameras and network cabling through out the house already installed. I traced as many as I could get a tone or signal. There are two POE switches, Linksys LGS124P and TrendNET TPE-1620WS.

The NVR is a Hikvision 8CH POE. I wasn't sure it this would work connecting through the network or just the back of the NVR. I am trying to get 8 working, or more if possible.
The NVR is in the hall closet with one switch and the other switch is in the garage, connected by a CAT5 cable. I can connect the Internet cable from the router to the closet switch.

I do currently have the cameras connected to the switches and the NVR connected to one of the switches.
I can only connect three/four cameras to the NVR since only those cables travel to the hall closet with the NVR. The other camera cables go to the garage switch. So if I can I would like to connect through the switches.
I did set a password when starting. The NVR and camera passwords were set the same for now.

I can view the cameras using their IP address from my laptop hooked to the switch.
I cannot get the views to show using the NVR software.

Thank you again.
I will follow your instructions on my next trip!

rick

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I neglected to mention -
As the cameras are on the LAN, it's much better to assign them each a fixed IP address to avoid them moving on the network of the router is restarted, or the cameras are rebooted.
And best to pick IP addresses outside the router's DHCP scope.
Access the router admin pages to check out the ranges in use.