Newbie: Recommendation for Managed PoE Switch

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

New visitor to IPCT! I'm planning to install a few IP/PoE cams at my home. I'm planning to connect all the cams in their own VLAN so that I can filter out-bound internet traffic from the cameras (based on my preliminary knowledge). My understanding is that this can be achieved by a managed switch. Also, since the CAMs are all PoE, I'm thinking of getting a managed PoE switch with at least 8 ports (for future expansion). I was wondering if you could provide any recommendations for such a managed switch.

Given the price range of these switches, I was leaning towards buying a used one from ebay. Any gotchas I need to be aware if I buy from ebay?

Thanks in advance!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are you using to record the camera video a NVR or a VMS (blue iris...) ?

The NVR may a built in POE switch that isolates the cameras from the internet.
If using blue iris then use a second nic card in the PC to isolate the cameras.

You really trust the software in a switch ??

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

ntssyd

n3wb
Reaction score
Ubiquiti Unify gear is what I chose. Besides the vlan capability (although some would argue that you should put the cameras on a physically separate net) you can also add wireless POE access points later. I have 10 cameras and 3 access points running off a 16 port unify switch. You can later add other managed switches (for your normal computing), a gateway/firewall all controlled from a central web page. It is really neat stuff if you want business like features but don't want to spend ages managing them.

One really nice feature of the unify POE switch (I think most managed POE switches do it but nonetheless) is that you can power cycle a specific POE port from the web app or the mobile app. That is great if a camera is unreachable or doing funny stuff and you want to force a reboot without making your way to the switch.

Also, most 16 port POE switches have loud fans. The ubiquity 16 port has very good fan speed controls (auto) and it only gets loud when it is boiling hot in the room. Compared to Netgear POE switches it is like it doesn't have a fan!