Noob here

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you guys prefer a turret camera at the front entrance or a doorbell camera?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you guys prefer a turret camera at the front entrance or a doorbell camera?

Kind of depends on the entrance, the ability to be somewhat discreet, wife approval, etc

Look at the Dahua wedge, it can be mounted flush as just a wedge but you have to manage the cables. The Dahua wedge with a low profile Dahua mount is my general recommendation. It is about half the size of the 5442 turret which is fairly small. Turrets that focus on the door approach is another good solution.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kind of depends on the entrance, the ability to be somewhat discreet, wife approval, etc

Look at the Dahua wedge, it can be mounted flush as just a wedge but you have to manage the cables. The Dahua wedge with a low profile Dahua mount is my general recommendation. It is about half the size of the 5442 turret which is fairly small. Turrets that focus on the door approach is another good solution.
Funny you mention wife approval. I’m totally ok with a full size turret but she would rather it be more discreet if possible. And they say size doesn't matter. Pfff ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since there are really no good doorbell cams, then either
This: Review-IPC-E3241F-AS-M Loryta (dahua) 2mp 2.8mm mini dome. mounted next to the door at 5' from the floor
Or
A 5442 fixed lens mounted at 6-7ft. The fixed lens are a little smaller than the varifocal. 99% of the people that come to my front door never notice it.
Porch 2023-01-30 01.54.40.51 PM.jpg

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since there are really no good doorbell cams, then either
This: Review-IPC-E3241F-AS-M Loryta (dahua) 2mp 2.8mm mini dome. mounted next to the door at 5' from the floor
Or
A 5442 fixed lens mounted at 6-7ft. The fixed lens are a little smaller than the varifocal. 99% of the people that come to my front door never notice it.
View attachment 152504
I was just reading your review on another thread. Good stufff. I can’t seem to find a good POE doorbell camera. Here’s a picture of my entryway. Ceiling mounted would be preference since we have a stucco house. The height is 9ft though which is obviously too high for facial recognition. Our Ring doorbell misses half the stuff anyways. Not quite sure what to do at the moment.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Perfect place to install a Wedge cam, run the cable and connections through the wall into the garage, then on to where needed.
No junction box needed, most people would never notice the cam.
Use corridor mode and a 2.8mm lens, you you will get a good view of the entire entry.
Position at 5' high at black circle.
Untitled.png

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perfect place to install a Wedge cam, run the cable and connections through the wall into the garage, then on to where needed.
No junction box needed, most people would never notice the cam.
Use corridor mode and a 2.8mm lens, you you will get a good view of the entire entry.
Position at 5' high at black circle.
View attachment 152513
Thank you!

Reaction score
See this thread for some ideas. I have a window next to the door like you and have had good luck mounting cams behind the window since my porch light is on all night.

This tread discusses multiple views and shows the specific cams used.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I feel like I’ve tumbled down Alice in Wonderland’s tunnel. ;)

Can someone let me know how Blue Iris notifications work when you’re away from the house. Say I’m away and I get sent a message. Am I able to view that directly from the Blue Iris mobile app or do I have to VPN from my phone before I can see it in the app? I appreciate the insight. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you port forward, then you will get an image with the push. That is not recommended.

Instead get the Pushover app ($5) and you will get an image with the push notification.

Based on the picture you can tell if it is someone you know or not and if you then need to VPN and see the video feed.

Or you can use something like Tasker or other programs that will automatically connect you to your VPN whenever you are off your wifi and then get them from the BI mobile app.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you port forward, then you will get an image with the push. That is not recommended.

Instead get the Pushover app ($5) and you will get an image with the push notification.

Based on the picture you can tell if it is someone you know or not and if you then need to VPN and see the video feed.

Or you can use something like Tasker or other programs that will automatically connect you to your VPN whenever you are off your wifi and then get them from the BI mobile app.
I will not be port forwarding. I’m going to take other peoples advice and use a 2nd NIC on the BI computer.

Thank you for the confirmation. That’s what it was looking like from all my research but couldn’t confirm 100%.

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just realized that a 2nd NIC might not work in my setup. Let me run this by you guys. I want to have all my camera ethernet lines drop to a media hub in my utility room where I'm going to install the POE switch. My BI computer would be in my office hard wired to an Orbi satellite unit. I'm reading the Dual NIC wiki and it says the cameras call home. Does that include the 5442's? Or was that written for camera's such as Ring, Reolink, etc?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
very camera can call home, including the 5442s. There are things you can do to mitigate it (turn of P2P and do not use the QR code to set it up and even then folks that wireshark and other things have seen the camera try to ping out), but best practice is to keep the cameras from going thru a router. Even if the router isn't "routing" and simply passing the data thru it, it can bog down routers.

How are you going from the POE switch to the next device? You can't run that to the BI computer?

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting about phoning home. I have a mesh network so 1 main Orbi router with 2 satellites. Fiber modem is in the media hub which is hard wired to a port in the family room where the main router is. The Orbi satellites then connect via a wireless backhaul and each satellite has 4 ports on the back. My original plan was to connect BI to a port in the back of the satellite. A 2nd NIC would be on the same network so that wouldn't work.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any chance you can put the BI computer near the main router and then just remote in to it from your office? Or how hard would it be to wire to the office?

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop between 280Mbps to 350Mbps depending on motion. This is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data will impact its speed.

I would just as soon not have that much video data going thru a device if it doesn't need to. Has to slow the system down.

Last edited:

bbatman99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically I could have the guys running ethernet to the camera's drop a new line to my office which would feed to the media hub. What do you think about this? New line drops to the office, NIC2 connects to the wall which feeds directly to the POE switch that only has the camera's on it. BI computer NIC1 still connects to the back of the Orbi satellite to the main network.