Not worth the time or trouble.

Discussion in 'ZoneMinder' started by hmjgriffon, Apr 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Murilo

Murilo n3wb

Hey guys, thanks a lot for this thread.

I have 10 câmeras in my store (runing at 720p @ 10 fps), using motion detection to record all of then.

I have tried Zoneminder for 3 months in a Ubuntu VM, after several troubles (change record files folder, 100gb/day with tons of files, socks limits on browser), a LOT of CPU processing (more than 50% when viewing all cameras), several crashs (that made me set to mocord just 4 of 10 cameras) and a lot of headache, I finally decided to check for alternatives.

I have tried Shinobi too, maybe its better than Zoneminder, but still a lot of trouble for just a few cameras. When I was thinking to stick with Shinobi, moeiscool decided to change the project to have a "pro" version, maybe with a more mature software it will be a good option.

And then I found BI, now it's running in a Virtualbox VM for 4 days.

Files: 30gb up to now
    CPU Load - i7 920: 15% (idle) and 20~25% with 5~6 cameras detecting movements and recording.
    Viewing all cameras through GUI at 8 fps over a RDP connection (cameras in Brazil while I'm in USA/Germany).

My tests will continue for more a couple of days and I will probably order the full version of Blue Iris.

aristobrat and The_Penguin like this.
  2. jasauders

jasauders Getting the hang of it

Glad to hear Blue Iris is working for you. If it works for you, by all means, great. I've been keeping my eye on ZoneMinder for years, though like you I ran into snags that shifted my focus elsewhere.

If you're trying to hone in on a Linux-specific option, Bluecherry is another to consider. I have been running Bluecherry for about 2 years. It's been rock solid. I haven't had any major issues with it, literally, at all. It's running on a low end i3 system, and even still the processor is next to asleep. I have 8 cameras, all 3 megapixel, all 10 FPS, recording to a 2TB drive. There's no dedicated mobile app for Bluecherry, but TinyCam does have a pre-defined Bluecherry entry for live viewing remotely, which works great. Pretty easy to set up.

The thing I like about Bluecherry is it has an actual client, and likewise, it's cross platform. So while the server is specifically designed for Linux (which, just personal opinion here, I consider a benefit), the client is available on Mac, Linux, and Windows. Takes the edge off quite a bit as some friends and family have requested CCTV installs and I don't have to give their OS of choice a second thought as I know they can interface with it (so far, two are Ubuntu users, one is a Mac user, two are Windows users, so you can see how the cross platform client helped in this case).

Other oddball uses I've grown to appreciate: My HTPC system (computer in my living room which controls Netflix, Kodi, Amazon Prime Streaming, DVD playing, etc) is running a full OS (Ubuntu Gnome), but just scaled up to nicely fit for longer distance (living room) viewing. Having the client there is nice on the weekends when the kiddos are napping and I'm on the laptop catching up on work. Fire up the client on the HTPC, full screen it, let it rip while I work. Helps to see what the kiddos are up to. Likewise, I have an old laptop on my nightstand. It streams the video feeds throughout the night. It's nice if I'm woken up during the night to just glance over and know what's going on. I know others can accommodate these things in different ways, but I figured I'd share while my thoughts were rolling.

If nothing else, possibly something to consider. But if Blue Iris does what you're after, then carry on. :)

Murilo likes this.
  3. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

bluecherry needs a mobile app..otherwise simply unusable for 99 percent of folks who want to be able to view a recorded event..even if 30 seconds earlier...

4. jasauders

A native mobile app would help, surely. All things considered, I'd take a cross platform client + live view on mobile over no client whatsoever and a mobile app capable of pulling down past feeds. Remotely pulling feeds isn't the quickest thing in the world unless you have the upload bandwidth to support it. That said, there are some misc oddball things that help, such as automatic email notifications with screenshots of motion detection, etc. There's no denying that a mobile app would be a nice supplement to what's already provided, though. That said, just speaking entirely from my own experience, the majority of folks I've worked with are typically after a live view when on mobile, seemingly just to spot check the driveway and see if the kids are home, or see if that Amazon package is at the front door, etc. I have yet to come across a deal breaker in any capacity regarding someone requiring digging up past feeds when out and about on mobile. I'm not denying that there's not folks out there who require this -- just speaking from my own experience that that particular item has yet to be an issue.

One thing I've flirted with in my mind regarding Bluecherry and their lack of mobile app is whether something like that could be integrated into TinyCam when interfacing with a Bluecherry server. I have a very high opinion of TinyCam. It's a solid app. The mobile apps I've used with multiple other CCTV systems are often very lacking, prone to crashing, etc. If TinyCam could somehow be extended to carve past feeds from Bluecherry, that'd be a pretty stacked offering.

5. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

remote client, while nice, is not needed for most applications...if you do, there are much better options like milestone, exacq, or digital watchdog etc...I have not met anyone, literally anyone who would find it acceptable that they cannot check on a motion event or other event remotely..live view is mostly useless unless as you say to see a package was delivered...the fact that they dont have a mobile client tells me there is a serious issue with the development...
    There are other benefits to remote clients such as push notifications, and in blue iris things like profile/alert changes, (easy to disable alerts when you get home)...enable/disable cameras, etc..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. jasauders

The lack of a mobile client isn't an unknown thing about Bluecherry. It's something they are working towards. Some folks out there have different preferences than yours. Some folks find the benefits they get from Bluecherry outweigh being able to draw up past feeds from their phone and are fine with mobile live view. It's not a sign of "bad development". I've seen the code, helped troubleshoot that code and have experienced this product over a solid period of time. It's rock solid stable and easy to use. That's not a sign of bad development, it's a sign that they deliver when fully tested and ready. I'm not saying I don't want a mobile client, but I'm saying what they offer gives me, and others, something that other outlets do not. When it comes to remote clients, Milestone is still lacking as they only have a Windows client. The cross platform client of Bluecherry acts as a benefit here. 100% of your folks may fit that paradigm, but most of mine do not. Likewise, I feel as though the UI is cleaner. It may not matter to you, but it matters to others, thus the blanket statement of "this is bad, but these over here, much better" goes against what some folks out there might experience. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, I'm simply saying that different folks have different preferences. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. People have options, choice, and a different subset of preferences and differences to hash out. And that's okay. Honest. It's okay to explore different options. As long as what you're using/what you're after does what you need it to, who is to argue?

7. aristobrat

aristobrat Getting comfortable

8. jasauders

All depends on your perspective. :)

But yes, the roadmap is nice, the transparency is nice as well. Several features I requested were added and a few more are already in progress. Small but good group of devs from everything I've experienced.