Not worth the time or trouble.

Gaggi

n3wb
Reaction score
read again..hardware acceleration is set in the blue iris options>cameras..
Then the default will apply and you can adjust for individual cameras...
What is the exact processor model of your laptop?
I did read it and thats why asked: Hardware acceleration= Is it Hardware decoding
as I am not in front of my laptop now. I will check the settings and report back.
- Laptop i5 processor is : i5 3320M , 2.6 Ghz.
More to come.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did read it and thats why asked: Hardware acceleration= Is it Hardware decoding
as I am not in front of my laptop now. I will check the settings and report back.
- Laptop i5 processor is : i5 3320M , 2.6 Ghz.
More to come.
the setting in the camera properties allows you to adjust the cameras individually...you should set hardware acceleration to h.264 yes in blue iris options..do not use vpp..
That processor is weak but can handle your cameras at 1080p as you have them set..make sure you have windows set to high performance and there is nothing throttling the cpu

Gaggi

n3wb
Reaction score
the setting in the camera properties allows you to adjust the cameras individually...you should set hardware acceleration to h.264 yes in blue iris options..do not use vpp..
That processor is weak but can handle your cameras at 1080p as you have them set..make sure you have windows set to high performance and there is nothing throttling the cpu
I will check that. I remember I left the video setting as Blue IRIS video and save direct to disk.

Gaggi

n3wb
Reaction score
I went to the camera settings and hardware decoding was not set. I have enabled it for now and processor count is down a bit now. Currently doing 45-60 %

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip fenderman, set windows to high performance. It made a big difference.

Gaggi

n3wb
Reaction score
I tested it for couple of hours yesterday and this change did a massive improvement. So a big thanks to you fenderman.
I was already on high performance and all settings were bare minimum. So I was scratching my head why a 3rd gen i5 cant take on 6 cameras. I was thinking earlier that I have already done this setting in individual cameras. Blue IRIS should make these changes default.

Cheers
G.

afddwfadwfadwf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
support/documentation for zoneminder is terrible... It is quite old architecture, with most features works sometimes and mainly tested with garbage cameras (Foscam).. Not a fan of Blue Iris either because it runs on Windows...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
support/documentation for zoneminder is terrible... It is quite old architecture, with most features works sometimes and mainly tested with garbage cameras (Foscam).. Not a fan of Blue Iris either because it runs on Windows...
be a best tool for the job type, do I love windows? not really, do I love blue iris? yep, so who cares what it runs on, my windows installs are always rock solid anyways. just don't look at pr0n and surf to the shady parts of the internet and you'll be fine, so that when you're in linux.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I think its a bad idea to use windows for any server environment. Just installing AMPPS can get you screwed. Also there is no need for a server machine to have a GUI. WIndows also takes a fair amount drive space.

If I was in need of a CCTV software and had only windows to turn to, I'd go with BI. Apparently though it turns out BI has a max camera limit of 64. For a piece of paid software there shouldn't be any such limit. The limitation should come from your hardware not BI itself... but that only effects people with lots of cameras (which is not many).
Windows is fantastic and works really well to host blue Iris... As far as a camera limit blue iris is a $60 piece of software... You are comparing it to VMS packages that charge 50 to $150 per camera and Licensing fees..Kinda silly.. it is not geared toward a corporate environment requiring more than 64 cameras...
Has far as hard drive space you must be joking...its 2017 you can pick a 128gb ssd for peanuts or install windows on the storage drive...
A server machine absolutley needs a gui..almost all of my BI installs use the server to display BI on a monitor for viewing and making adjustments.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I think its a bad idea to use windows for any server environment. Just installing AMPPS can get you screwed. Also there is no need for a server machine to have a GUI. WIndows also takes a fair amount drive space.

If I was in need of a CCTV software and had only windows to turn to, I'd go with BI. Apparently though it turns out BI has a max camera limit of 64. For a piece of paid software there shouldn't be any such limit. The limitation should come from your hardware not BI itself... but that only effects people with lots of cameras (which is not many).
my windows is rock solid just as solid as my linux installs, maybe you don't know how to manage it lol. as for 64 cams, you'd never be able to run near that many 2mp cams anyways unless you bought some ridiculous server hardware.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it does work well for hosting BI, the only issue is that it's windows. Don't need all the extra stuff. Imagine DVR boxes running windows, or even regular ip cams. They'd need to be twice as powerful just to do the same things as one based on Linux. Given that you are running windows 7 or higher. I admit windows makes things user friendly, but it's not for a type of machine that gets left alone and viewed remotely. Assuming you view your BI data on another machine or from your phone or something. I personally would feel uncomfortable interfacing with the machine that is doing the work just to save processing power. A little lag can mean the difference between a clear frame and blurry frame.

I wasn't comparing to VMS. I don't know where that came from.

Also corprorate environment isn't the only place where this many cameras would be. Currently there is a fellow who has 90 cameras going on Shinobi for a high school. Only reason I know about the limit on BI is because he tried to use it and met the limit.
You are misinformed. I routinely review the video on BI machines...there is no lag no "blurry frame".. The extra stuff doesnt hurt you in any way. Windows machines for the typical installation are cheap and very efficient.
"personally would feel uncomfortable interfacing with the machine that is doing the work just to save processing power. A little lag can mean the difference between a clear frame and blurry frame."
That statement makes ZERO sense.
You imply that other paid vms have no limits..that is not the case...for example, exacq has a 16 camera limit for its start edition and a 64(analong)/128(ip) camera limit for its professional and enterprise editions.
Again BI is not intended for use with that many cams...high school with 90 cams is the same as corporate..semantics

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I don't know how to manage windows. I guess using it since I was 6 years old might make things difficult to understand. Also developing on it for the last 15 years might also make it difficult, I see. I also used windows to write an entirely different CCTV platform, along with many other kinds of programs. It all must be out my depth.

You only need a crazy server for the reason I have to keep repeating. windows wastes processing cycles for things you probably don't even use.
No that is not the case...blue iris is simply less efficient than other vms...you can run many more cameras if you use something like exacq or avigilon...you are very misinformed about vms and windows...and their capabilities.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Then you don't understand FFMPEG (the base blue iris uses). Ill stop debating with you about it then.

I am a developer, not a simple consumer or user. I make the type of programs you find solace in using.
Yes, so explain why exacq can handle many more cams than BI on the same system...its sad when folks misrepresent their capabilities..you are simply out of your league. You are not versed in VMS software.

moeiscool

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, so explain why exacq can handle many more cams than BI on the same system...its sad when folks misrepresent their capabilities..you are simply out of your league. You are not versed in VMS software.
Because of better engineering? You'd think that bit would be obvious LOL. IN MY EXPERIENCE I have found newer versions of ffmpeg perform with less overhead. So when you found the versions of ffmpeg in all the programs you are versed in, you should have been able to piece that simple bit of information together.

You say I'm out of my league and not versed when you were the one who went off on tangent. I never mentioned competitors. You did. I just said using CCTV on windows isn't as good as doing it on Linux. It seems you are getting very defensive for no reason. If you think blue iris is the best, it isn't. If you think all the programs you know are the only ones people should use, you're wrong.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Because of better engineering? You'd think that bit would be obvious LOL. IN MY EXPERIENCE I have found newer versions of ffmpeg perform with less overhead. So when you found the versions of ffmpeg in all the programs you are versed in, you should have been able to piece that simple bit of information together.

You say I'm out of my league and not versed when you were the one who went off on tangent. I never mentioned competitors. You did. I just said using CCTV on windows isn't as good as doing it on Linux. It seems you are getting very defensive for no reason. If you think blue iris is the best, it isn't. If you think all the programs you know are the only ones people should use, you're wrong.
EXACTLY. So your statement that "you only need a crazy server for the reason I have to keep repeating. windows wastes processing cycles for things you probably don't even use." is FALSE since you dont need a crazy server for exacq.
I never said blue iris is the best. I often recommend other options that you are simply unaware of... However blue iris is the BEST at this price point. No doubt.
Your little garbage software package is a joke at this point..there is always some joker who thinks that can do it better...go ahead..it would be great if we can all get a superior product for free.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I'm done on this forum, that level of stupid is not one I can match.

LOL you do know I started Shinobi in November? kids these days. Don't understand development because they are too busy crying and whining for other people to do everything for them.
Great, leave.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I'm done on this forum, that level of stupid is not one I can match.

LOL you do know I started Shinobi in November? kids these days. Don't understand development because they are too busy crying and whining for other people to do everything for them.
Who cares when you started it? You are claiming running IP cameras on windows is crap and best on linux, then point to a software that you wrote that doesn't hold a candle to blue iris, or anything else out there. A lot of the big name software run on linux yes, are they best? Not for home use, I don't want to run a giant server in my house, I also don't want to pay a license fee for every camera I have.