NVR and IP Cameras almost done except... a picture is worth a thousand words...

Iggs

n3wb
Reaction score
(well actually not a thousand words but you get the idea haha)
Hello IP Cam Community I'm glad this place exists! I'm new but with enough knowledge to almost figure it out. I've got most of it complete, I just cant connect from the internet to the cameras :sad: I'm trying to isolate my IP Cams and nvr to its own network to avoid network congestion (and seems to work) and use the primary network for internet access. A Picture is worth a thousand words so check it out:

Is there a better way to do this?

I understand port forwarding but when it comes to two networks then I'm lost haha Hope some one can help!

Attachments

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aren't your bridges/access points all part of the same network?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not use wifi (looks like that is what you are using based on the image)...I would not worry about network saturation if your network is gigabit...there are other reasons to isolate, but saturation is not one - in a home environment..

Iggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Aren't your bridges/access points all part of the same network?
Thanks for the reply!!! They are on the same network, I believe now it's because the "Access point" connected to the router is actually A router and not an actual access point witch has DHCP running and creates confusion with the IP's and stuff. I just purchased a real AP (access point) and will try it out and post the results!

Iggs

n3wb
Reaction score
I would not use wifi (looks like that is what you are using based on the image)...I would not worry about network saturation if your network is gigabit...there are other reasons to isolate, but saturation is not one - in a home environment..
Some cameras will be placed where running a network cable wouldn't be very feasible but distance short enough to get a High powered wifi signal is adequate. I have been running test cameras on this same set up for a week now and everything seem very functional except for being accessible through the net. Isolating the camera network is for security reasons as well

Iggs

n3wb
Reaction score
One Word... DON'T...

Wifi and cameras = disaster
Although it's not recommend, I've been testing this similar set up for a week now with external antennas and and no disaster yet. I'm taking this concept from the professional setups witch use cameras from a remote location from witch the same reasons the pros do it, I can't run network cables but electricity isn't an issue

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
everything seem very functional except for being accessible through the net. Isolating the camera network is for security reasons as well
Usually when people talk about network security and being isolated it means not accessible from an external network.
Unless I have misunderstood it - according to your drawing, you do not have an isolated (from the internet) network. You show it as being connected to the internet, even the NVR.

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Key thing with keeping recording devices stable with wi-fi radios of any type is the wi-fi radios have to be dedicated to the cams. It's when wifi radios have to negotiate with half a dozen smartphones and other junk that they typically get unstable and cause problems because those devices roam and force the radio to constantly negotiate connections. This means other devices that need very stable connections get connection time outs.

Newer AC based routers and radios can handle the bandwidth - no sweat. However, for security sensitive installations direct wire is mandatory. It's one thing to debate how to crack WPA or WPA2, but I don't have to if I want to stop cameras from working. Far easier just to jam it, so think about this and be warned.

hereu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your cabling is wrong.

You need to cable from the access point to the switch/router and a cable from the NVR to the switch/router.

There should be no cable from the access point to the NVR.