NVR ds-7608ni-i2/8p firmware upgrade gone wrong.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good work danaussie. Hope you get another reply and if you do, can you put it up. :goodpost:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
A factory reset button would be handy built in to the nvr
Just like a router when a ddwrt firmware flash goes wrong
There’s no stress just hit the factory reset and try again
Sadly if a user error occurs,yes you will find your self in a whole lot of pain
With hikvision
Region locked i don’t think they know what there talking about
Language hacked yes,Chinese market and the rest of the world
As the firmware has ml or eng not USA,UK,DENMARK,AUSTRALIA,ect
This is the annoying part why buy an nvr in Australia for let’s say $899 and you get old stock apparently and through better research and channels you can buy the same unit with the latest firmware and the serial numbers now have a letter in them “a12345678” for $399 delivered to your door and have zero problems with them
They expect you to pay double and have zero help and bullshit excuses
The exact reason 2.5 years ago I learned everything I could and still learning more so I don’t have to put up with hikvision unwillingness to help

tangcla

n3wb
Reaction score
Aussies - the Hikvision website has been updated and there appears to be a new firmware page, starting to filter through v4.1.11 for the DS-96* models.
Maybe we'll get something soon for the 76xx...

NVR - Hikvision Australia
Baseline Firmware_I series super NVR 128-ch &256-ch_V4.1.11_171204

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
still haven't got any replies from hikvision, but my cameras are now setup. Live view doesn't work for more than 2 at a time using the web browser, which I think is an issue I have seen someone else mentioning... these 8mp cameras look really good! some issues with night vision which I hope I can work on to improve things a bit.

upload_2018-7-2_16-1-52.png

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
After a long time fearing this process, I've decided to pull the trigger. Below is my journey, which I think may help someone. Reminder: I have the official legitimate australian version of the DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P NVR and cams DS-2CD2385FWD-I.

First thing I did was download the latest NVR firmware from the "europe" website. However I've actually downloaded it from the Netherlands website in english, accidentally. I then upgraded my NVR using that firmware via a USB stick, and that "semi-bricked" it. Once powered on, the user list was big and only had values with strange characters in it. The NVR became useless, I couldn't get past the login screen.

After the initial WTF did I just do moment and some cold sweated desperation, I proceeded to download the latest firmwares for the NVR (V4.1.64 build 190119 at the time) and the CAMs (V5.5.82 at the time) from the UK websiteHIKVISION UK PORTAL, and

- Downloaded the tftpd software from scottlamb/hikvision-tftpd
- Put the NVR new firmware digicap.dav file in the same folder as tftpd
- Connected both the NVR and my laptop to my LAN
- Connected the NVR to my LCD display and a mouse
- Set my laptop ip to 192.0.0.128 / 255.255.255.0
- Tested that my laptop, with that ip address, could ping the NVR at its default IP (after brick) of 192.0.0.64
command for that is "ping 192.0.0.64". if it times out, its not working.
- Downloaded and installed python for windows Python Releases for Windows. For this, either version 2.x or 3.x will do. I used 2.7.
- Went to the path where I extracted the tftpd software and ran the commands
path=C:\Python27 (this is the path where I installed python at)
python hikvision_tftpd.py
- The above last command displayed a message saying digicap.dav was being served. It will sit there not doing anything until you proceed with the step below
- I then powered off and powered the NVR back on (this is very important. the NVR basically tries to download the new firmware during its startup, via a fixed IP address... it tries to reach, by default, the IP 192.0.0.128. Which is the one you set for your the machine running tftp :) )
- After I powered my NVR, the tftp software running on my laptop started showing messages saying the file was being sent to the NVR
- All you have to do is wait for that process to finish by itself. The NVR will then reboot a couple times and it should come back with a wizard for you to configure it

After that was done, I've re-configured my NVR and updated the CAMs firmware via the NVR web interface without any issues.

In the end, I thought the firmware upgrades were totally worth it (so far at least... If I encounter an issue I will report it here). Main gains for me were:

- using the cameras via NVR and hik-connect is a LOT faster now (the image will display in 1-2 seconds, versus 6-7 s from before)
- using the playback function works a lot better
- I can now download video files via web interface and hik-connect, both of which are things I could not do before

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent!
And a good write-up, that will help others on that same journey.
It does seem to be quite common, and has been a bit of a puzzle as to how to fix up.

Mike Ross

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the firmware upgrade on the NVR using 4.1.50 and got to the join the dot part. It would not accept the dots, I powered off then on, now I can't get past the log on. The "admin" line is blanked and when I change the password and set a new one and attempt to use it, it still won't proceed on. Hope this makes sense. I have attempted to log on from a browser using the 192.0.0.**, but that doesn't proceed. I have attempted SADP and can't get past the log in.
Any ideas??
Yep, i recovered from the same issue but using Windows, No Python needed. See below.

UN-BRICKING Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2 8P using TFTP on a Windows PC.

I have the AU version of this NVR and bricked it by upgrading from AUS 3.93 to UK version 4.1.64 which corrupted the user accounts making login impossible post bootup. However I unbricked it again myself using tftp.

As others have reported, the Hikvision TFTP server cannot do this job anymore as the NVR file sizes are now too big and as a result the file transmission repeats endlessly without completion. The Hikvision TFTP server however performs an authentication check with the NVR on an undocumented port prior to beginning a TFTP session on a regular port. Replicating this auth function on a 3rd party TFTP server would be tricky, so a work around was needed.

I solved the problem by using Two separate TFTP servers on my laptop.

a) The Hikvision one, to authenticate on an undocumented port.

b) Solar Winds free TFTP server for windows. This one does the transfer of the big file. Likely any 3rd party TFTP server would do just as well.

Method is to start the solar winds TFTP server first. This locks the TFTP transfer port on the PC so that the Hikvision one can't use it.
Then start the Hikvision TFTP server which authenticates the NVR on the undocumented port. The 3rd party TFTP server takes over for the TFTP session as it has exclusive use of the common TFTP port. You can shutdown the Hikvision server as soon as TFTP session begins.

When the TFTP file transmission completion message appears, the NVR will reboot itself, so make sure no TFTP servers are connected at this point or the process will repeat.
Bingo, unbricked and back to 3.93 with all users and passwords intact !

Last edited:

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, Mike, finally success due to your post. I couldn't use Solar Winds but used Tftp32 and with this and your post fixed the bricked NVR just over 12 months after bricking it. I thank everyone here who had any input. It was all valuable. I now have a unbricked NVR woo woo.

Mike Ross

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, Mike, finally success due to your post. I couldn't use Solar Winds but used Tftp32 and with this and your post fixed the bricked NVR just over 12 months after bricking it. I thank everyone here who had any input. It was all valuable. I now have a unbricked NVR woo woo.
Glad it worked for you !!!

Reaction score
After a long time fearing this process, I've decided to pull the trigger. Below is my journey, which I think may help someone. Reminder: I have the official legitimate australian version of the DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P NVR and cams DS-2CD2385FWD-I.

First thing I did was download the latest NVR firmware from the "europe" website. However I've actually downloaded it from the Netherlands website in english, accidentally. I then upgraded my NVR using that firmware via a USB stick, and that "semi-bricked" it. Once powered on, the user list was big and only had values with strange characters in it. The NVR became useless, I couldn't get past the login screen.

After the initial WTF did I just do moment and some cold sweated desperation, I proceeded to download the latest firmwares for the NVR (V4.1.64 build 190119 at the time) and the CAMs (V5.5.82 at the time) from the UK websiteHIKVISION UK PORTAL, and

• Downloaded the tftpd software from scottlamb/hikvision-tftpd
  • Put the NVR new firmware digicap.dav file in the same folder as tftpd
  • Connected both the NVR and my laptop to my LAN
  • Connected the NVR to my LCD display and a mouse
  • Set my laptop ip to 192.0.0.128 / 255.255.255.0
  • Tested that my laptop, with that ip address, could ping the NVR at its default IP (after brick) of 192.0.0.64
command for that is "ping 192.0.0.64". if it times out, its not working.
  • Downloaded and installed python for windows Python Releases for Windows. For this, either version 2.x or 3.x will do. I used 2.7.
  • Went to the path where I extracted the tftpd software and ran the commands
path=C:\Python27 (this is the path where I installed python at)
python hikvision_tftpd.py
  • The above last command displayed a message saying digicap.dav was being served. It will sit there not doing anything until you proceed with the step below
  • I then powered off and powered the NVR back on (this is very important. the NVR basically tries to download the new firmware during its startup, via a fixed IP address... it tries to reach, by default, the IP 192.0.0.128. Which is the one you set for your the machine running tftp :) )
  • After I powered my NVR, the tftp software running on my laptop started showing messages saying the file was being sent to the NVR
  • All you have to do is wait for that process to finish by itself. The NVR will then reboot a couple times and it should come back with a wizard for you to configure it

After that was done, I've re-configured my NVR and updated the CAMs firmware via the NVR web interface without any issues.

In the end, I thought the firmware upgrades were totally worth it (so far at least... If I encounter an issue I will report it here). Main gains for me were:

• using the cameras via NVR and hik-connect is a LOT faster now (the image will display in 1-2 seconds, versus 6-7 s from before)
  • using the playback function works a lot better
  • I can now download video files via web interface and hik-connect, both of which are things I could not do before
Hey Guys,

Wondering where you are at, as far as firmware updates, and if your still using this method outlined by danaussie?

I've just purchased a DS-7616NI-I2/16P last week, and believe it was from a reputable Australian authorised retailer (on ebay Aus), not 'gray' market.

My current firmware is V4.1.64., which seems to be working fine so far. It's nearly a year old though. I noticed there is a newer firmware update V4.22.005 available on the Hikvision UK portal you referred to.

Newer firmware contains 32MP UHD camera compatibility, 802.1x protocol authentification (for some switches), and some modified functions for stability optimisation. Doesnt seem like it's absolutely necessary firmware.

This updated (or previous) firmware does not seem to be listed anywhere on the Hikvision Australia Support/Download/Firmware Page?

So still stuck doing this method via the Hikvision UK portal?

Regards,

Paul in West Oz

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
So still stuck doing this method via the Hikvision UK portal?
I would not update unless you have a 32MP camera. I think 4.1.64 does its job well enough and has good enough performance. I would only upgrade if there were significant improvements to the interface, the way videos are downloaded and/or how recording take place (sensitivity, different options to configure, etc)

Reaction score
I would not update unless you have a 32MP camera. I think 4.1.64 does its job well enough and has good enough performance. I would only upgrade if there were significant improvements to the interface, the way videos are downloaded and/or how recording take place (sensitivity, different options to configure, etc)
Yep, agreed. It's not worth the hassle.

stumpy

n3wb
Reaction score
Reaction score
My Australian authorised reseller told me to download the latest version from the USA Hikvision site. I flashed this no problem, but the previous version, NOT the V4.22.005

Link above for USA version if you ever did want to upgrade.
Cheers for that Stumpy. O.K , so your saying if I'm at V4.1.64, the next version I should upgrade to V4.22.000 first, before V4.22.005? Also noticed on that USA website, there are other later versions V4.21.005/008, preceeding V4.22.000?

stumpy

n3wb
Reaction score
I was at V4.1.50 build 180227 and went straight to V4.22.00 using usb stick plugged directly into the nvr front usb port. I think the problem arises if you try and upgrade from v3. I did this and bricked mine and sent it back to hikvision who flashed the v4.1.50 build. I had the corrupt user password interface that bricked mine originally.

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking at updating mine as well and have come across a very very interesting situation.

We had been told by the Australian distribution partner CSD that upgrading the DS-76xxNI-I2-xP NVR from firmware V3 to V4 was not possible as it bricked the NVR so it was a complete no go. We have heard of many people that have done this but it seems only AU units are having the issue

I found the support number for Hikvision support AU so rather than going through the distribution channels CSD and being stonewalled, I asked Hikvision Australia if I can get my DS-7608NI-I2-P8 updated from V3 to V4 firmware his comment was" You will have to ask your distribution channel for this firmware" "We have an agreement with them on what firmware is available for that region? i said"So you are telling my CSD has the call on what firmware we get and what we don't?" answer was "Yes you will have to talk to CSD and get it from them"

Very interesting

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at updating mine as well and have come across a very very interesting situation.

We had been told by the Australian distribution partner CSD that upgrading the DS-76xxNI-I2-xP NVR from firmware V3 to V4 was not possible as it bricked the NVR so it was a complete no go. We have heard of many people that have done this but it seems only AU units are having the issue

I found the support number for Hikvision support AU so rather than going through the distribution channels CSD and being stonewalled, I asked Hikvision Australia if I can get my DS-7608NI-I2-P8 updated from V3 to V4 firmware his comment was" You will have to ask your distribution channel for this firmware" "We have an agreement with them on what firmware is available for that region? i said"So you are telling my CSD has the call on what firmware we get and what we don't?" answer was "Yes you will have to talk to CSD and get it from them"

Very interesting
I had a very similar convo with them, which I detailed in earlier posts. It is what it is, I think people wanting to upgrade their AU NVRs will be left unsupported for upgrades for many years to come.