NVR ds-7608ni-i2/8p firmware upgrade gone wrong.

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am wondering what consumer affairs will think about that, we have the current model NVR that we cannot take full advantage of without the new firmware updates unless we purchased another exact same model if you get my drift

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
I am wondering what consumer affairs will think about that, we have the current model NVR that we cannot take full advantage of without the new firmware updates unless we purchased another exact same model if you get my drift
They will probably get stuck in hikvision's horrible website trying to find out who to even talk to about this :banghead:

Reaction score
I was at V4.1.50 build 180227 and went straight to V4.22.00 using usb stick plugged directly into the nvr front usb port. I think the problem arises if you try and upgrade from v3. I did this and bricked mine and sent it back to hikvision who flashed the v4.1.50 build. I had the corrupt user password interface that bricked mine originally.
Followed your lead, and flashed V4.22.00, THEN V4.22.05 myself from the USA website, just for the sake of learning, more than anything else. All went well. Cheers again.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was told the same about bricking going from V3xxx to V4xxx by my Aussie seller- because there are hardware differences. Yet, you go to the US site and it says it can be done but a certain procedure has to be followed. (I don't have the link on me.)

Mine is currently playing up due to accidentally changing regions for a second time- thinking I was doing the right thing using the Aussie firmware. Seller's current solution is me paying $120 to get it fixed by Hikvision Australia. The procedures on the previous page (thanks guys) look like they could work.

If you do an update and get the symbols for the login (and your password fails) then contact your seller for the unlock file. That will fix it and get you the proper login back, even if you've used the incorrect region firmware. I originally found that out after using the Euro firmware. It also worked when I just updated to a later Aussie firmware- thinking I was still region locked to Australia, but apparently the Euro firmware I'd stayed with had changed the region! My issue is it now refuses to playback footage for more than 1 camera at a time via the NVR login.

I'm waiting for the Seller's response from Hikvision Australia. The whole region locking thing is a farce. There's no warning supplied with the NVR and (as stated) we're literally years behind in official firmware releases. I'd have been better off buying from O/S.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was told the same about bricking going from V3xxx to V4xxx by my Aussie seller- because there are hardware differences. Yet, you go to the US site and it says it can be done but a certain procedure has to be followed. (I don't have the link on me.)

Warning for I-Series NVR users:
Before upgrading to v4.1.10 or v4.22.000 firmware. Be sure the NVR is on at least firmware 3.4.92 or 3.4.93. Failure to have the NVR on either of these firmware versions before upgrading to v4.1.10 or v4.22.000 could render the NVR in-operable.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After a long time fearing this process, I've decided to pull the trigger. Below is my journey, which I think may help someone. Reminder: I have the official legitimate australian version of the DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P NVR and cams DS-2CD2385FWD-I.

First thing I did was download the latest NVR firmware from the "europe" website. However I've actually downloaded it from the Netherlands website in english, accidentally. I then upgraded my NVR using that firmware via a USB stick, and that "semi-bricked" it. Once powered on, the user list was big and only had values with strange characters in it. The NVR became useless, I couldn't get past the login screen.
I proceeded to download the latest firmwares for the NVR (V4.1.64 build 190119 at the time)
Danaussie, what's the build date on your 7608NI-I2 and what was your original firmware? Mine is September 2016 build with the BNC connector (apparently that makes a difference to firmware) and I'm wondering if I can get V4.x working?

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
Danaussie, what's the build date on your 7608NI-I2 and what was your original firmware? Mine is September 2016 build with the BNC connector (apparently that makes a difference to firmware) and I'm wondering if I can get V4.x working?
how do I find out? Is it only on a sticker? I've tried in the webui but doesn't seem to be there. Re software version I think I mentioned in one of my posts, its was version 3.4.93

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
how do I find out?
It's within the serial number- look for YYYYMMDD layout in it. (You can get the serial number up on the "System" info screen.)

I got mine working on the latest version 4.x Euro firmware. I'm just not so keen on the way the playback time line works and doing clips is a PITA.

BTW if you ever get locked out with the rubbish symbols in the log in after an update you can get the normal Hik unlock file from your seller and it will let you log in. Even with overseas firmware. That's how I originally got the Euro firmware on mine.

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
It's within the serial number- look for YYYYMMDD layout in it. (You can get the serial number up on the "System" info screen.)

I got mine working on the latest version 4.x Euro firmware. I'm just not so keen on the way the playback time line works and doing clips is a PITA.

BTW if you ever get locked out with the rubbish symbols in the log in after an update you can get the normal Hik unlock file from your seller and it will let you log in. Even with overseas firmware. That's how I originally got the Euro firmware on mine.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A lot later build than mine then. It's probably best I found that out after trying the 4.x firmware, as I mightn't have been game enough to risk it.

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
hi all, just wanted to update you all with the following: I have successfully performed the following upgrades, through the Web UI:

• NVR from V4.1.64 build 190119 to V4.50.000 build 210125
  • Cameras from V5.5.82 to V5.6.5 build 200316

Both firmware files were retrieved from the UK website (HIKVISION UK PORTAL).

Also, since my last post I have also successfully replaced the NVR side fan from the noisy one to a noctua fan - as per instructions found on this forum. It was easier than I thought it would be, and the noise reduction was significant.

stumpy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi danaussie

I am in Perth WA and my dealer told me to download the firmware from the US Hikvision website, I have just checked and the NVR is the same version as the one available from the UK portal. However the camera firmware is different, latest on US is V5.6.3 build 190923. Any idea what the difference is between this version and the later one from the UK portal?

danaussie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi stumpy

I have no idea what is the difference, but it definitely is not a very relevant one. Cameras and NVR seem to be working as well as always. There are some tabs with new features, but its all disabled for my cameras/NVR - so nothing really useful, so far.

ekelli

n3wb
Reaction score
This thread has just saved me!!!

Contacted HikVision support but they were no help :mad:

THANK YOU

:):):):):):)

Reaction score
Hi danaussie

I am in Perth WA and my dealer told me to download the firmware from the US Hikvision website, I have just checked and the NVR is the same version as the one available from the UK portal. However the camera firmware is different, latest on US is V5.6.3 build 190923. Any idea what the difference is between this version and the later one from the UK portal?
Hi Stumpy,
I'm just south of Perth in Mandurah. Same as yourself, after the download from the US website a while ago, camera firmware is now V5.6.3 build 190923. NVR firmware V4.5.000. Slightly concerned about the different region issues. Not sure if it's USA related, and I should be using the UK Portal like danaussie? I did lose Camera login and password a while back. I managed to sort it out with the help of IP Talk thread Alternative way of recovering HikVision NVR password I used the SADP Tool and downloaded an xml file to reset. Since then, I now have regained NVR/camera UI Web access. Hikconnect works fine. A few little things still aren't quite working exactly like they use to. In the playback section on the NVR, I'm not getting an video recorded? I do get event triggered video in my file management section, but only on D1 camera? This is a similar issue triump202 faced

Mine is currently playing up due to accidentally changing regions for a second time- thinking I was doing the right thing using the Aussie firmware. Seller's current solution is me paying $120 to get it fixed by Hikvision Australia. The procedures on the previous page (thanks guys) look like they could work.

If you do an update and get the symbols for the login (and your password fails) then contact your seller for the unlock file. That will fix it and get you the proper login back, even if you've used the incorrect region firmware. I originally found that out after using the Euro firmware. It also worked when I just updated to a later Aussie firmware- thinking I was still region locked to Australia, but apparently the Euro firmware I'd stayed with had changed the region! My issue is it now refuses to playback footage for more than 1 camera at a time via the NVR login.

I'm waiting for the Seller's response from Hikvision Australia. The whole region locking thing is a farce. There's no warning supplied with the NVR and (as stated) we're literally years behind in official firmware releases. I'd have been better off buying from O/S.
My setup is Aussie bought from jk security wholesalers on ebay, who seem reputable. Camera Serial number/s dates to 20191912
My latest proud achievement is setting up the jpeg capture to send to my email address, after following a youtube tutorial. Yay finally.
A lot of work to keep this system running, and probably should have paid an installer to sort it out. If it wasn't for this website and youtube, it would be a complete mess, rather than slight niggles.

Madgame87

n3wb
Reaction score
^ I also bought my setup from JK security - everything is all legit and running as intended. Wish I bought more ColorVu's rather than the 2386 Accusense. Figured I'd use the two way audio more but haven't used it once.

Reaction score
^ I also bought my setup from JK security - everything is all legit and running as intended. Wish I bought more ColorVu's rather than the 2386 Accusense. Figured I'd use the two way audio more but haven't used it once.
Yeah JK Security all good here as well. Got my playback working on all 4 cameras now. My own silly fault not selecting the "24 hour Continuous on all camera's" option down the bottom of Playback section screen. Derr... Using 4 of ColorVu's cameras here. Really happy with the night vision.

Beowolve

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm late to the party so I hope danaussie and/or Mike Ross is still around to assist me or anyone that has been successful unbricking their NVR following either process. I bought the NVR second hand brand new. Nothing was wrong with it, seller lost receipt so I can't go to a supplier here in Brisbane to give me a master code to unlock it :(

My issue is yes NVR is bricked and I can't log on because there's no alphabet entry in the User Name and when I exported the GUID setting new password, the NVR has exported the GUID incorrectly so now I can't set a new password even though logging in is an issue... Also when plugged in to SADP software the new set password did not work :banghead::facepalm:

I'm new to all of these and I tried to follow danaussie and Mike Ross instructions to unbrick the NVR but I'm completely loss and hopeless at these things.

Anyone here please explain to me what I need and how to do unbrick the NVR?

Last edited: