NVR/DVR Ethernet

Takon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently built a new house and had 4 security cameras installed on the exterior. These cameras terminate in the utility room in the basement with 4 Ethernet lines.

I'm looking to purchase a Video Recorder to plug these in to but many that I find seem to have an analogue connection and I wanted to ask if these would work, or if need to buy a DVR that is specifically built for ethernet?

Is anyone able to recommend a DVR/NVR that has monitoring through an app? I was looking at something like below but it seems to have analogue inputs and I'm not sure if it would work with my camera set up.

Analog HD 1080p Security System DVR - 4 Channel

Thanks!

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally speaking, a DVR is coax based while a NVR is ethernet based. You have several options. Search the forum. You can buy a Dahua NVR or utilize a PC and install Blue Iris.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently built a new house and had 4 security cameras installed on the exterior. These cameras terminate in the utility room in the basement with 4 Ethernet lines.

I'm looking to purchase a Video Recorder to plug these in to but many that I find seem to have an analogue connection and I wanted to ask if these would work, or if need to buy a DVR that is specifically built for ethernet?

Is anyone able to recommend a DVR/NVR that has monitoring through an app? I was looking at something like below but it seems to have analogue inputs and I'm not sure if it would work with my camera set up.

Analog HD 1080p Security System DVR - 4 Channel

Thanks!
Welcome Takon,

What model cameras do you have installed?

In general you will want to match a NVR ( a Network Video Recorder ) with the cameras you have.

As t84a mentions there will be a few options, however sounds like a DVR ( analog coax connections ) will not be one.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Takon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mat200,

Thanks very much for the response. The cameras that I have installed are Norcel SC-304-XD (SC-304-XD). These were actually installed by a company our builder recommended when using the house but they haven't been too great to deal with so I'm hoping to finish the process by installing an NVR on my own. They had quoted for a Norcel DVR but these only seem to be commercially available to purchase (as far as I can tell).

It seems like the Dahua NVR's are the more popular choice around here, and I'm leaning towards that. I'd like to get one that is a 4 port and I've been looking at the Dahua NVR4204 ( NVR4204/4208/4216/4232 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology). Is this a good model you would recommend?

Thanks Again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mat200,

Thanks very much for the response. The cameras that I have installed are Norcel SC-304-XD (SC-304-XD). These were actually installed by a company our builder recommended when using the house but they haven't been too great to deal with so I'm hoping to finish the process by installing an NVR on my own. They had quoted for a Norcel DVR but these only seem to be commercially available to purchase (as far as I can tell).

It seems like the Dahua NVR's are the more popular choice around here, and I'm leaning towards that. I'd like to get one that is a 4 port and I've been looking at the Dahua NVR4204 ( NVR4204/4208/4216/4232 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology). Is this a good model you would recommend?

Thanks Again.
those are hivksion cameras rebranded....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200,

Thanks Again.
HI Takon,

As fenderman ( thanks fenderman ) pointed out those are Hikvision cameras, so I would try to match them with a Hikvision NVR or get a Blue Iris setup with a windows PC and a PoE switch.

Note: LaViewSecurity ( Hikvision OEM ) has BF - Cyberweek deals still going on, so it maybe worth seeing if they have an NVR which would work with this kit or check in the Hikvision section here what NVR model is preferred. Also Nelly's security carries Hikvision and may have a NVR which works well - they have a special section here.