NVR Selection and Configuration Confirmation

murphy2u

n3wb
Reaction score
So, reading through threads on here has of course been useful and educational. Given the amount of issues I've seen with people trying to access their cameras through their NVRs (and the clear advice from nayr), I'm going to invest in a separate POE switch. I'm not a network engineer and this will give me the flexibility I implicitly expect, without fighting the user interface of an NVR to manage my cameras).

So that said, I'm double checking that a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 will be a sound choice (loaded with a couple of 1TB WD Velociraptors I have on hand). I'm thinking that I'll go ahead and get the POE capable version just in case I eventually decide to push cameras to it directly. FWIW, I'm thinking of pairing the NVR with a Ubiquiti US-16-150W. Link to overall build info: https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-member-working-on-1st-sec-cam-project.15862/#post-144883

Two questions:
1) I am assuming the Dahua NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 is just a version branded for direct release in the U.S. and not substantively different than Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2 (that has a lower price).
2) Second, I am assuming that having a dedicated switch will allow me to put the cameras and NVR on the same IP network as the rest of my infrastructure and clients (e.g., all of my existing stuff is 192.168.0.x; I've only used ~30 numbers of the 254 fixed IP assignment (MAC based for my wifi clients).

Thoughts/alternatives welcomed.

murphy2u

n3wb
Reaction score
Third question now--based on availability, I'm considering buying an NVR4216-16P-4KS2 instead of the NVR5216--am I giving up anything besides additional alarm triggers (tough for me to figure out based on what I've found so far). Thanks for any advice on this too.

murphy2u

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, one more question in case anyone might want to help:
Is there any reason that I would need to hook up a KVM over IP so I can directly interface with the NVR (vs. using its IP-based interface)?