NVR vs. BI Camera Functionality Question

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been reading a lot of the pro\con thread for both NVR and BI.

My question is, do they inherently provide the functionality in a completely different manner?

Correct me if I'm not understanding properly but here is my assumption:

It sounds like when using a NVR for controlling all the settings and functions of a camera, the NVR is just passing commands to\from the camera and all the "work", settings and video processing etc. is being stored and run ON the camera itself.
Whereas when using BI, the camera is just passing the video and BI software on your computer is doing all the software functions crunching, essentially using the camera as kind of a "dummy" monitor.

Is this correct, sort of correct, not at all correct?

Is this also why I see a lot of discussion around optimal PC build specs for running BI based on your number and MP of your cameras, but I can't find anyone questioning, for example, what processor is in a NVR?

Are there still yet other settings on the cameras themselves that can only be adjusted \ controlled by directly connecting to the camera via it's built in web server that cannot otherwise be set or controlled with BI or an NVR?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could anyone who has used both maybe confirm or deny my understanding or misu derstanding of how these control the cameras?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm...is there maybe a better forum for general BI Q&A for me to research and get some basics out there?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm...is there maybe a better forum for general BI Q&A for me to research and get some basics out there?

You questions have been discussed in the blue iris section..there are many threads on this topic...all you need to do is download the demo and see for yourself.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.
I have reviewed many many of the BI posts here trying to get a better understanding and am still not getting the difference between the basics of how each utilizes the camera's functionality vs ignoring / replacing or the camera's functionality.
Just trying to confirm my assumptions which will help decide what cameras to buy...I mean why pay extra for a lot of functions if they don't get used for example if I use BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I have reviewed many many of the BI posts here trying to get a better understanding and am still not getting the difference between the basics of how each utilizes the camera's functionality vs ignoring / replacing or the camera's functionality.
Just trying to confirm my assumptions which will help decide what cameras to buy...I mean why pay extra for a lot of functions if they don't get used for example if I use BI.

Blue iris can utilize the cameras motion detection or use its own which is far superior to the cameras built in motion detection.