NVR5232-EL crash during playback

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 5232-el NVR with 15 cams connected (they all run AI by camera).
Everything works, but when I playback from smartpss initially no problem, but after 5/10 minutes suddenly the system is unreachable both from smartpss and from the web page. In reality the NVR still remains switched on, when pinged from the PC it responds and furthermore from the directly connected monitor it does not report anything, and nothing is detected even in the LOG.
Everything works again after about 10 minutes!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So unless I'm missing something, the NVR itself is fine?, but when you're viewing over your network (you didnt mention how many cams simultaneously or their MP/bitrate), it freezes? and is unresponsive?

Would need to see how your cameras and NVR are connected to your network, but sounds more like a device (router, switch, PC) is having trouble with the bandwidth streaming.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are You connecting by using local NVR IP in SmartPSS?
Or by P2P serial number (remote cloud connection)?

If P2P, this can be source of problem..

If this is local connection using local IP - it is very strange that You can't login over Web to NVR for ten minutes..
Check from other computer in local network...
it looks like Windows or network problem..

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are You connecting by using local NVR IP in SmartPSS?
Or by P2P serial number (remote cloud connection)?

If P2P, this can be source of problem..

If this is local connection using local IP - it is very strange that You can't login over Web to NVR for ten minutes..
Check from other computer in local network...
it looks like Windows or network problem..
no p2p, only via local network. tried from other devices and same problem

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So unless I'm missing something, the NVR itself is fine?, but when you're viewing over your network (you didnt mention how many cams simultaneously or their MP/bitrate), it freezes? and is unresponsive?

Would need to see how your cameras and NVR are connected to your network, but sounds more like a device (router, switch, PC) is having trouble with the bandwidth streaming.
the nvr works the problem appears in the "playback" section of smartpss: apparently it works and I can access the recordings, but after about 10 minutes of viewing recordings or ivs events even of a single cam smartpss is no longer able to access the nvr and is offline. Even trying from the web it appears offline, but as I said in the post from the physical monitor of the NVR everything is in order.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Right, so I think @steve1225 and I are getting at the same thing. Problem is likely your pc not able to keep up. How many cameras are you viewing simultaneously? What type? 4MB, 4K?

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right, so I think @steve1225 and I are getting at the same thing. Problem is likely your pc not able to keep up. How many cameras are you viewing simultaneously? What type? 4MB, 4K?
only one camera at a time 8mp. But if it were my PC, technically the web page should still remain accessible, as it should also remain accessible from dmss (mobile app). Instead, for 10 minutes or more the entire system is unreachable.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
no p2p, only via local network. tried from other devices and same problem
Try to update firmware on NVR to latest one...

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

already done. I performed the online update directly from the NVR. Could it be that the smartpss version is not updated? I can no longer download it from dahuawiki

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
already done. I performed the online update directly from the NVR. Could it be that the smartpss version is not updated? I can no longer download it from dahuawiki
Yes, it can be...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Only Lite version is available for SmartPSS now, but it works fine for simple playback viewing

Last edited:

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I note that the latest firmware available on the Empiretech website is different from the one available from Dahua and appears to be "generic". Change something? can I put it on my nvr?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I note that the latest firmware available on the Empiretech website is different from the one available from Dahua and appears to be "generic". Change something? can I put it on my nvr?
The firmware on Empiretech is generic (aka 'no Dahua logo') version.

Works the same on Dahua and OEM's (like Empiretech) cams / NVRs...

In case of 5xxx-EI NVR, You have there a beta of BIG upgrade with a 37 new features (check release notes on Empiretech site)..

Dahua should officially release this version in next month as part of big AcuPick 2.0 / animal filter release..

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately the problem continues to occur even with the latest firmware directly updated online via the NVR. I try the generic one from Empiretech

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
It doesnt sound like an NVR issue...
I think I remember way back in 2015 or 2016 a thread i did on something similar. In my case it was a nvr issue on both units. SmartPss would crash on extended playback and lock me out of the Web Gui, I had to go to the location and re set the nvr to gain access.For remote access.
I think I got both from Nelley's and they remoted in. and took a look around. Never a fix for that issue. Turns out they were underpowered and did not have the bandwidth to be recording 16 cams and playing back at the same time.
I think If I viewed playback in sub stream it did help some and forget about saving recordings over the network. Believe it or not both are still running today afaik.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Except he said when it happens, he can login directly at the NVR using a monitor and all is good …?

I see what you’re saying, both recording and playback at same time

But one camera on a reasonably new 5232?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Except he said when it happens, he can login directly at the NVR using a monitor and all is good …?

I see what you’re saying, both recording and playback at same time

But one camera on a reasonably new 5232?
Yea I could also login at the NVR..The NVR's never stopped recording, It took out all my remote capabilities Using the web gui or smart pss. Once I reset it would communicate over the network. I ended up turning off recording the sub feed and that helped some.
Their should be a bandwidth monitor in that web gui, be wondering what that is saying.

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I confirm that the problem still persists even with the generic Empiretech firmware. The problem always occurs when playing back (particularly if I jump from one clip to another, even with only one cam at a time!)
However, I noticed (just now) that following playback on smartpss the system freezes and is not reachable from smartpss, but now it works from the web, but if I go to search among the playbacks directly from the web it results in a black screen and cannot reproduce. However, by waiting a few minutes the problem resolves itself and during the "crash" period the system still continues to work

Screenshot 2024-06-26 131315.png