NVR5232-EL crash during playback

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On the record schedule are you recording substream? I ask because SmartPSS in that view uses substream for playback by default. If only the full main stream is available, it could be the machine you’re on can’t buffer the main stream video for too long.

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the record schedule are you recording substream? I ask because SmartPSS in that view uses substream for playback by default. If only the full main stream is available, it could be the machine you’re on can’t buffer the main stream video for too long.
yes, the recording sub stream is also enabled

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, I just ran an important test:
I did a good few minutes of playback directly from the NVR's web page and it worked fine. I then ran the live broadcast on another device (dmss mobile) and suddenly after a while it crashed. In this test smartpss wasn't really used, so it's not the culprit.
There are two hypotheses:
1) The NVR cannot play and view live at the same time
2) it freezes because I log in with the same user (but I don't think so)
ps: as in any case the consequences of this crash were: web page working but playback not working and nvr unreachable from both smartpss and dmss

I think the problem occurs with smartpss because I often left the live window open and the playback window open at the same time!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I just ran a similar more involved test.
My NVR is recording 9 cams, two of them 4K, the others all 4MP, all at 30FPS, all at least 10240 bitrate CBR (16,386 on the 4Ks), so I max out all of my streams.
5216-16P-4ks2e

A full 10 minutes simultaneously:
:
NVR running and recording fine
SmartPSS running live streaming all 9 cams (low res)
SmartPSS in playback mode one 4K cam the entire time
Me logging into NVR (while above is happening) and using both AI playback and normal playback

Not a single hiccup.
nvrplayback.jpg smartpssliveview9cams.jpg 4kcamlive10minutes-whilesmartpssrunning.jpg smartpssAIsearch.jpg

Hypothesis #3
Its your local machine or another (switch, router?) on the network not able to keep up with the stream

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It is possible you are max'd out on bandwidth, or your local machine cant keep up

-You say 15 cams- what res and what bitrate and FPS?
-How is the system wired? Are the cams all connected to external switches? Do they run through a router or direct to the NVR? (cams and NVR on same switch)
- What machine are you using? Windows? Version? OS and RAM?

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is possible you are max'd out on bandwidth, or your local machine cant keep up

-You say 15 cams- what res and what bitrate and FPS?
-How is the system wired? Are the cams all connected to external switches? Do they run through a router or direct to the NVR? (cams and NVR on same switch)
- What machine are you using? Windows? Version? OS and RAM?
15 cams, most 4k and 5mp with cbr 4096 20 fps and they all run IVS by camera.
There are 2 switches on the network that manage these cams, I don't know how to investigate.
The cam network is a DMZ, separated from the LAN with a Sophos firewall with pfsense.
My pc: 16 gb ram, i7 8700k rtx 3090, windows 11

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately from the web page I can't see a menu where I can see the bandwidth, but from the local monitor of the NVR there is the appropriate section. I'll post a screenshot as soon as I can

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand that you also used a single account for smartpss and the web page, so I would rule out a problem with simultaneous logins with the same account

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
15 cams, most 4k and 5mp with cbr 4096 20 fps and they all run IVS by camera.
There are 2 switches on the network that manage these cams, I don't know how to investigate.
The cam network is a DMZ, separated from the LAN with a Sophos firewall with pfsense.
My pc: 16 gb ram, i7 8700k rtx 3090, windows 11
Thats not anywhere near a problem then (bandwidth, machine)

As to the network, I'm no network guru. But something is reaching a point of buffering the video where it gets over taxed and freezes.

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats not anywhere near a problem then (bandwidth, machine)

As to the network, I'm no network guru. But something is reaching a point of buffering the video where it gets over taxed and freezes.
ok, but if it were to be like this technically the playback should stop and that's it. It's as if the NVR entered "protection" and then unlocked itself after a while

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
But you said you can login to the NVR when this happens at the console no problem, and it continues recording?

Are you running H.265 or ROI on cameras or NVR? If so, use h.264H on ALL and NO ROI

Both tax the system, provide little practical benefit

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But you said you can login to the NVR when this happens at the console no problem, and it continues recording?

Are you running H.265 or ROI on cameras or NVR? If so, use h.264H on ALL and NO ROI

I don't know what roi is, all cams are set to h265

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

The local console is ALWAYS accessible, even during these "crash" moments. Sometimes it happens that the web page is also not reachable, but today it is accessible but during the crash the playback does not work

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Comes back to the NVR working fine stand alone, but external device access (SmartPSS, DMSS, web GUI) fail after a period of time.

That tells me an external choke point is failing to keep up with the stream and locks up.

So we have to either reduce the throughput of the streams or find the external device that’s not keeping up.

My not so expert opinion is the streams are going directly through a router or the pfsense device that’s not able to stream/buffer for long

Yes h.265 shows little real world benefit on Dahua NVRs in my experience but taxes the system. H.264.h behaves better and yd higher quality

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Comes back to the NVR working fine stand alone, but external device access (SmartPSS, DMSS, web GUI) fail after a period of time.

That tells me an external choke point is failing to keep up with the stream and locks up.
now I'm redoing the first test, playback in web gui and live in dmss...now it's not blocking. It's all so strange!!
Do you still recommend setting the cams to h264h?