NVR5232-EL crash during playback

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
there is one more thing, which You can do before sending this NVR back to repair...

Default NVR to factory settings...
Then do startup wizard (password, network, date etc) and add all cameras at once.. You will need to format drives one more time...

Do nothing more in NVR configuration (no AI changes, no storage settings, no network/security etc settings).

Check how stable NVR works for live view in web view and SmartPSS...

If this will work, then it means that source is in some strange NVR settings You did in past but we don't known which one.
Second possibility: HDD/database/config structure were corrupted and this created problems..

After that You can do other settings, but checking after each one is NVR stable..

If this will not work, then simply send NVR to repair to seller.
I would say this pretty much sums it up, I think defaulting back and testing perhaps like a few cams is the way to go, you are correct about Hard drive, I have seen hard drives and or flakey cams settings mess things up and there are lots of examples that people
have had here, When I had those problems like this, we never found a answer, my guess was bad system ram or processor, firmware that was not ready to handle all the Features.. I did look at the setup sketch, The only thing I did see that would be common is the switch, perhaps bypassing that and hook up direct to the nvr (with the laptop)and trying to view that way, that is the last piece of hardware in the chain.

Last edited:

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
there is one more thing, which You can do before sending this NVR back to repair...

Default NVR to factory settings...
Then do startup wizard (password, network, date etc) and add all cameras at once.. You will need to format drives one more time...

Do nothing more in NVR configuration (no AI changes, no storage settings, no network/security etc settings).

Check how stable NVR works for live view in web view and SmartPSS...

If this will work, then it means that source is in some strange NVR settings You did in past but we don't known which one.
Second possibility: HDD/database/config structure were corrupted and this created problems..

After that You can do other settings, but checking after each one is NVR stable..

If this will not work, then simply send NVR to repair to seller.
I had already tried resetting everything to the factory settings but then I changed various parameters again: I will try again
For now I have performed one more test..
I'm exporting a lot of clips from smartpss to see if the problem recurs, but it doesn't seem to.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would say this pretty much sums it up, I think defaulting back and testing perhaps like a few cams is the way to go, you are correct about Hard drive, I have seen hard drives and or flakey cams settings mess things up and there are lots of examples that people
Yes, You can add in startup wizard only half cams..
Test it.. and then add second half...

if the second half will made NVR unstable, then we known that is performance or thermal problem.

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, You can add in startup wizard only half cams..
Test it.. and then add second half...

if the second half will made NVR unstable, then we known that is performance or thermal problem.
Is it also worth resetting all cams to factory settings and formatting the hdd?

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before proceeding with the reset, I would like to ask you something about these settings.
I remember that during a "crash" by enabling private protocol the web gui became accessible again, but then unfortunately it no longer worked. What would this parameter be?Screenshot 2024-06-28 184333.png

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another curiosity: why do you think that every time I log in with any account/device (whether web gui, smartpss or dmss), the account is displayed as double in online users? could it be a problem?Screenshot 2024-06-28 184435.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Before proceeding with the reset, I would like to ask you something about these settings.
I remember that during a "crash" by enabling private protocol the web gui became accessible again, but then unfortunately it no longer worked. What would this parameter be?View attachment 197357
I cant honestly tell you I know, but mine are all in "Security Mode"

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Also I have a slightly different layout but mine has Syn Flood and ICMP flood attack defense disabled (I'm behind a firewall appliance and dont need the NVR making that decision)

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would like to share with you further discoveries I have made:
I haven't reset the NVR or the HDD yet but I noticed something very interesting:
1) if I leave the live window open during the crash caused by playback, it will continue to work. It will only stop doing this when - to try to make playback work - I close and reopen smartpss.
2) the problem ONLY happens if I jump from one clip to another: in particular if I jump "quickly enough" from one ivs clip to another.
If, however, I leave the "automatic" playback of the clips, the problem does not arise at all, it manages to open all the IVS events that that cam recorded without ever freezing!
As someone suggested, I would hypothesize a problem with the HDD which perhaps freezes when quickly switching from one clip to another.
Do you agree?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When it recovers, is there lost time, blank space, on the playback timeline? A recording gap?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok now you’ve pinged my memory, I have one old 4208 NVR at my old hood that will do similar. It’s always been “touchy” (installed in 2017 and still on the job) in a way similar to what you just described.

If (using SmartPSS) I manually skip fast from event to event in the timeline (I record full time plus IVS) occasionally it does exactly what you say. It becomes inaccessible from SmartPSS and DMSS but the NVR continues to record. (Regardless of which channel)

No error message on the NVR log, and I can login to the NVR GUI directly without problem.

When this happens I get an error message in SmartPSS , let me see if I can reproduce it. Standby…

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok now you’ve pinged my memory, I have one old 4208 NVR at my old hood that will do similar. It’s always been “touchy” (installed in 2017 and still on the job) in a way similar to what you just described.

If (using SmartPSS) I manually skip fast from event to event in the timeline (I record full time plus IVS) occasionally it does exactly what you say. It becomes inaccessible from SmartPSS and DMSS but the NVR continues to record. (Regardless of which channel)

No error message on the NVR log, and I can login to the NVR GUI directly without problem.

When this happens I get an error message in SmartPSS , let me see if I can reproduce it. Standby…
Exact!! same exact problem.
I would add that by pinging via cmd the NVR responds, so it is not the Ethernet interface that remains blocked (also because otherwise the NVR would no longer be able to continue recording)
Furthermore, 90% of the time it remains inaccessible from smartpss and dmss and the web gui remains functional (except for playback), on other occasions not even that is accessible.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Its the old NETSDK returns error issue. You should see something similar on the screen. I don't know that its ever been specifically identified as to the root cause....

I've learned to ignore it and be slow about skipping between events during manual playback on the timeline on that NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I havent had that happen in so long that I'd kinda forgot about it, sorry. But the way you explained it this morning rang my bell.
Naturally I couldnt reproduce it this morning, it seems very random,

michele5353

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I havent had that happen in so long that I'd kinda forgot about it, sorry. But the way you explained it this morning rang my bell.
Naturally I couldnt reproduce it this morning, it seems very random,
using smartpss I don't get that kind of error. maybe they will have updated it, I don't know exactly. I didn't read that post you linked (thank you so much!) as soon as the error occurs again I'll send you a screenshot