Old BNC analog to new Cameras in 2024

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has an old BNC system from Speco from 2011 or so, def updated. He wants to know if he can get new cameras for this system that will work with a NVR. This house is huge, and mainly constructed with cement exterior walls so pulling cable with be either impossible, or $$$$$$$$$

Here is a picture of the cameras.

Any options to get this working with new Dahua cameras? Any of those wires can be converted somehow?

Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 7.54.26 PM.png

Thank you my smart people...

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe something like these POE to BNC transmitter / receiver adapters? I don't have experience with them, but the reviews indicate they would do the job. I doubt you could run a POE AT device like a PTZ, but regular POE AF cameras should work.
There is some warning about the devices not passing multicast and thus self discovery of devices won't work. Also the transmitter is the box at the CAMERA end. The receiver is at the NVR end of the BNC cable.

Maybe someone else knows a better equivalent. These look like they will need a good junction box to protect from elements.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Main question is.. what wiring is used ? That installation dont look like normal BNC cable.

Has any cam rs485 ptz lines ?
If new cabeling is no option, you can try to use these lines for network. It can work even if they are not twisted pair.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. the wiring don't look like BNC... more like some rs485, but this is not a ptz... check for analog TV antena cables...
2. you can buy a new IP cams and IP NVR and use BNC<>POE converters... but it will be a lot converters (2x cams) which can broke...
3. you can buy a new analog cameras with new hybrid DVR (NVR)..

Using old NVR from 2011 is no sense - probably doesn't support anything higher that 720p resolution.
Also a new modern hybrid DVR has functions to detect movement with AI detection of people/cars - huge upgrade.
plus support for modern mobile apps... and support for most functions from modern IP cameras...

Dahua have a lot of modern hybrid DVR's...

ps. replacing existing cables with a new ones is no problem because of the cement (???) or concrete (more likely) wall. The biggest problem is there easy access to inside of the wall, where the cables are entering house? And how the cables goes inside the house (ducts? false ceiling? roof?) and does we have easy access to that space?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
This
I tested the BNC to PoE converters a few years back and they do work. But you’re adding $150+ to each camera location.

New XVR and CVI cameras using existing BNC cabling would be a less expensive option

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
excellent info.

im gonna try and get some more info and pics tonight.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
1. the wiring don't look like BNC... more like some rs485, but this is not a ptz... check for analog TV antena cables...
2. you can buy a new IP cams and IP NVR and use BNC<>POE converters... but it will be a lot converters (2x cams) which can broke...
3. you can buy a new analog cameras with new hybrid DVR (NVR)..

Using old NVR from 2011 is no sense - probably doesn't support anything higher that 720p resolution.
Also a new modern hybrid DVR has functions to detect movement with AI detection of people/cars - huge upgrade.
plus support for modern mobile apps... and support for most functions from modern IP cameras...

Dahua have a lot of modern hybrid DVR's...

ps. replacing existing cables with a new ones is no problem because of the cement (???) or concrete (more likely) wall. The biggest problem is there easy access to inside of the wall, where the cables are entering house? And how the cables goes inside the house (ducts? false ceiling? roof?) and does we have easy access to that space?
this is a 12k sq foot multi story home in beverly hills. this aint ur average craftsman with a regular attic etc.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, it is coax. Try pulling that camera mount off and seeing if you can pull the other end out.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, it is coax. Try pulling that camera mount off and seeing if you can pull the other end out.
I am not at the location, but he will try tonight see see if he has access to the other side of the camera pictured above.

apprciate the help.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
For sure thats only the cameras factory pigtail wire. lol. I bet there is a box recessed into the concrete wall behind that camera with your coax and power wires.
since it's in Beverly Hills they may be able to afford some converters. Here is some info from Andy below

I'm thinking option 1 or 3 because you may not have room for 2 & 4 in box.
1708562740773.jpeg

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
For sure thats only the cameras factory pigtail wire. lol. I bet there is a box recessed into the concrete wall behind that camera with your coax and power wires.
since it's in Beverly Hills they may be able to afford some converters. Here is some info from Andy below

I'm thinking option 1 or 3 because you may not have room for 2 & 4 in box.
View attachment 187252
this is excellent info. will read up. # 1 seems like a good option.

but whats teh diff from number 1 and number 2. I see another device, whats that for?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
This guy has money. Just didnt want to hasle of rewiring the entire house.

These adapter may be what he is looking for. I think the link they were 69 for the pair?

That doesnt seem bad at all.

I will talk to him tonight, but he will probably want a ePOE NvR and the best low light ePoe turrets.

I guess it doenst need to be ePOE depending on which adapter he goes with?

Edit... looking at that diagram is making me crazy.

LR1002 ??
Pros: Smaller, cheaper ?
Cons: Needs ePOE NVR and ePOE Cameras ?

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
This guy has money. Just didnt want to hasle of rewiring the entire house.

These adapter may be what he is looking for. I think the link they were 69 for the pair?

That doesnt seem bad at all.

I will talk to him tonight, but he will probably want a ePOE NvR and the best low light ePoe turrets.

I guess it doenst need to be ePOE depending on which adapter he goes with?

Edit... looking at that diagram is making me crazy.

LR1002 ??
Pros: Smaller, cheaper ?
Cons: Needs ePOE NVR and ePOE Cameras ?
I would first see how much room you have in box . Option 1& 3 the converters look smaller at the camera end.