ONVIF or DAHUA

KW@ABTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Would anyone here know if the camera feature set access changes using a device type of ONVIF or Dahua when adding an IP 12 MEG cam manufactured by Dahua to an Exacq Server?

Here is the issue. If using ONVIF you will not get motion detection.
Would changing the device type to Dahua allow motion detection?

If ONVIF is supposed to maintain compatibility across devices and the newest ONVIF specification is T
Why won't Dahua's newest ONVIF compliant 12 MEG camera allow motion detection if added as an ONVIF device type?

Thanks to all for viewing this post and all suggestions welcomed.

Cheers!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How did you configure the motion detection in the Dahua camera. I detail with screen shots.
how old is the Exacq server, what is the model number? What version of ONVIF does it support ?
Are you expectiong the server or the camera to do the motion detection ?

KW@ABTG

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you configure the motion detection in the Dahua camera. I detail with screen shots.
how old is the Exacq server, what is the model number? What version of ONVIF does it support ?
Are you expectiong the server or the camera to do the motion detection ?
Exacq server is brand new Linux 64-bit version 9.6.6.143879 / Model #IP04-02T-ELPR (Not sure what version ONVIF it supports)
Expecting the server to do motion detection.
Here is the servers response to that request:
IMG_2257.JPG

Motion detection not configured at camera / resulting is no motion detection at server
Motion detection configured at camera / still no motion detection at server

Changing to Dahua device type in server may be the resolution but job site closed at the moment.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that NVR. The message means to me that it expect the camera to do the motion detection. In general motion detection is just comparing area of two pictures for changes. If the NVR is doing the motion detection then if has nothing to do with the camera other than get the pictures form the camera.

Did you set up the areas to detect motion and the times it is to run in the NVR.

Are you recording video from the camera ?

KW@ABTG

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR is recording full time all three 12 meg cams
Areas are set up
NVR has a sweet timeline function where the motion is differentiated by color blue and full recording is green and no record is white.
Makes finding an event really quick.
We have other Exacq Servers at other sites and Dahua cams that are set to Device Type Dahua - No issues but not the same cameras either
These cams instantly defaulted to Device type ONVIF when imported
My thoughts were that the ONVIF feature is old and maybe the Dahua device type may allow the cam features to be accessed.
Not really familiar with Dahua.

Thoughts?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thoughts?
Not all ONVIF implementations support the notification of events such as motion detection.

One way to determine that is to query the camera using ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some logon credentials, at the top left of the window, and it will find ONVIF devices on the same IP address range automatically.
Events, if generated, can be seen on the Events page.
Also worth checking is what Rules and Analytics are available from the camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is that the NVR is NOT doing motion detection it is trying to configure the camera to do motion detection. Then waiting for the camera to inform the NVR of motion. ONVIF is not needed to do motion detection in the NVR.

cuz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is that the NVR is NOT doing motion detection it is trying to configure the camera to do motion detection. Then waiting for the camera to inform the NVR of motion. ONVIF is not needed to do motion detection in the NVR.
Are you supposed to set up motion detection in only one place (NVR/cam)? Or both places?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on the product.
In BI you set it up in BI. The motion processing is done in BI.
Or in BI you can go to the camera and set up motion detection there, the camera will (should) send the motion event to BI.

On most NVRs and cameras from the same manufacturer, you set up motion in the NVR. This does not apply to manufacturer that have created country restrictions. Mixing cameras and NVR from the same manufacture designed for different countries (china Hack) may not work together.

On mixed systems it is anyone's guess, a case by case system.

That is why I use blue Iris.

Last edited:

Naptown

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having this same problem with a Dahua HDW4631C-A. Previously, I have successfully installed a Dahua HDBW4431R-ZS which is working as it should with motion. I've gone through everything and cannot figure it out. I just have to have that 1 camera 'continuously record' which is going to fill up the NVR sooner. Hoping somebody has an answer by now! @KW@ABTG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will not fill up the nvr, if it is a reasonable nvr, it will delete the oldest recording then continue to record.
before buying more crap try to become educated. Learn to use the search before buying a camera

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

Naptown

n3wb
Reaction score
It will not fill up the nvr, if it is a reasonable nvr, it will delete the oldest recording then continue to record.
before buying more crap try to become educated. Learn to use the search before buying a camera

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money
I knowingly purchased gray market cams as my budget wasn't large. Everything except "record on motion" has been working for 3.5 years. Just looking for a solution so I don't unnecessary fill up the hard drive on the NVR with continuous recording.

I guess I should have prefaced my post with, "I purchased shit cameras and 7 out of 8 of them are working great. Would love some creative ideas to get the last one working the way I want it to function."

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I knowingly purchased gray market cams as my budget wasn't large.
With apologies for being the terminology police, almost all of us are using gray market cameras. Even Andy's cameras are gray market, which means they don't carry a manufacturers warranty. As for your motion record problem, I had that same problem many times and always traced it back to some non-intuitive configuration setting on the camera or the dahua nvr. What saved me on the tough ones was combing through the camera log, which helped me isolate the problem to the camera or the nvr. If you're running onvif, the onvif device manager can also help with isolation.