OpenALPR Tool - Save and Query CSV Exports

Reaction score
Fubduck -

If you download the csv file from your openalpr dashboard, you can open it in Excel and see all the data collected from your cameras and a description of each column. LPR Viewer takes a subset of that data and displays it in the LPR Viewer program.

If you can't download the csv file, I have attached a list of the column headers from the dbo.LPR_PlateHits table created for LPR Downloader.

Also attached is a picture of the LPR Viewer screen before and after my migration from the free to the subscription service. The free service provided a Color, Make, Model. and Body determination of the vehicle (not always accurate.) The subscription openALPR service no longer provides that information. If you open the 2-20-2020 LPR Viewer attachment you can see that records dated 2-17 and earlier show the vehicle type information provided by openALPR, records starting 2-18 do not. The fields now return 0.0 for vehicle information.

Attachments

Fubduck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for that info. Is the 0.0 provided in the csv file or is the application inserting those as a non provided column from the csv file? Does the new subscription csv file still have the same columns as the previous free csv file, just some data is blanked/zero'd out?
I rolled my own setup in using linux, apache, mysql and php. I was just wanting the columns from the csv file so I can update my scripts and databases ahead of actually making the switch.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Signed up for the Watchman Plan, and it went well. Glad that the CSV file structure hadn't changed.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, I have never used C# it does say "some basic knowledge of C#" is needed. I was wondering any guide on how to go about this ? or If, A member is willing to help me set this up thank you !!!

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Gymratz has made the process pretty easy, but unfortunatley there's no manual per se. You will need to download and install the free version of Visual Studio, either 2017, 2019 or Community. You will aslo need to decide what SQL database you are going to use to store the data; it can reside locally or in the cloud. Gymratz designed some .sql files which makes it easy to add the needed tables and structures. Then you would need to download the github files and run them in Visual Studio, with the goal of compiling the program for yourself as a standalone EXE, no longer needing the Visual Studio to be running. Earlier posts indicate there may be a bug in the DateTimePicker of the viewing program, and workarounds have been offered. So I would just start with the first posts of this thread and let us know when you need assistance.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Gymratz has made the process pretty easy, but unfortunatley there's no manual per se. You will need to download and install the free version of Visual Studio, either 2017, 2019 or Community. You will aslo need to decide what SQL database you are going to use to store the data; it can reside locally or in the cloud. Gymratz designed some .sql files which makes it easy to add the needed tables and structures. Then you would need to download the github files and run them in Visual Studio, with the goal of compiling the program for yourself as a standalone EXE, no longer needing the Visual Studio to be running. Earlier posts indicate there may be a bug in the DateTimePicker of the viewing program, and workarounds have been offered. So I would just start with the first posts of this thread and let us know when you need assistance.

Thank you DLONG2, I will try to give it a shot tommorow morning with a fresh cup of coffee. Once again thank you for explaining the process I will give it my best shot. Have a good night and thank you so much again !!

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
It does say "with the local webserver enabled and retention of local images set as high as reasonable for your system. " I do have the cloud set I am not sure what does local webserver enabled with retention of local images mean.. Where do I even change this setting ?

Currently this is how it is doing for me on my PC..

1582923257551.png

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Not being at home to confirm, but within the Agent Settings of the ALPR client software, there's a field for specifying how many GB of storage is allowed. The "web server" mentioned is that client software which captures the plates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@tech101 - WOW - and you said you have basically zero programming language?

I have been wanting to do this but afraid of all the programs needed to download and run, etc. and would it just fluster me beyond belief LOL..

How long did this take you? Any other hiccups up to this point?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
@tech101 - WOW - and you said you have basically zero programming language?

I have been wanting to do this but afraid of all the programs needed to download and run, etc. and would it just fluster me beyond belief LOL..

How long did this take you? Any other hiccups up to this point?

HI Wittaj. So the first part in the screen shot I have it running for about an year or longer.. My question was for the Local WebServer part of things.

Anyhow to answer your question, if you Signup and Download OpenALPR software and run in cloud mode the first part is pretty easy if all you trying to do is get the plates on openalpr.com . You will have to get a plan it isnow called I think WatchMan Plan and paying $5/ Camera it just uploads to openalpr site and keeps 5 days retention again depending on the plan you get if you get the better plan you get more days..

So this should not take you more than 15-30 mins.. To download install test :d

what I am trying to achieve is the part where Some of the members are keeping a record seems like longer in a csv format and have search capability locally on there pc :D that is kinda cool that is what I am trying to achieve.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Since I know nothing about Visual studio.. I am not even sure what to select from this screen LOL

1582934853168.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Wittaj. So the first part in the screen shot I have it running for about an year or longer.. My question was for the Local WebServer part of things.

Anyhow to answer your question, if you Signup and Download OpenALPR software and run in cloud mode the first part is pretty easy if all you trying to do is get the plates on openalpr.com . You will have to get a plan it isnow called I think WatchMan Plan and paying $5/ Camera it just uploads to openalpr site and keeps 5 days retention again depending on the plan you get if you get the better plan you get more days..

So this should not take you more than 15-30 mins.. To download install test :d

what I am trying to achieve is the part where Some of the members are keeping a record seems like longer in a csv format and have search capability locally on there pc :D that is kinda cool that is what I am trying to achieve.
Oh yea - the CVS format is what I want to get to....I guess I will mull around longer on this whole thing LOL.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
tech101: You want to use ".NET desktop development"

Thank you so much DLONG2 I feel Like with your and other help I might have a shot at this LOL even though I have no idea how to use this programming visual studio thing LOL

1582938623094.png

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So Far I have installed VSTUDIO

SQL Express & Managment.. Installed only I by basically clicking next next next finish.. kind of thing. Thank you to DLONG for that two even installation seem to be something. If I figure this out I wanna put a guide together maybe to help other people like me who has Zero Knowledge

After Installing everything I just open the Zip file and went straight to ..

1582939832966.png

App.config I am gonna guess since this required just basic knowldge I am gonna guess what I am looking at is a file to configure for alpr ? and will make changes as necessary here and then compile a exe somehow ? Am I even right on the first step. Sorry Like I said I have zero knowledge but again I am willing to give it a try with help of others.. and see IF, I can make this work since I would love to have this... and I am sure so does some other people..

Once again thank you everyone..

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I also feel LIke in my openALPR I need to do something about this..

1582940128868.png

This is a section in advance setting

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I messed around with above settings and now on my local PC I am getting this by going to that URL

1582940333426.png

This is what I did...

1582940365132.png

I basically did 1 For debug. 1 For Server and 8355 for the port. Also people please dont follow this as I am doing this for learning purpose only.. Will let you guys know if I succeed :D

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, exactly right on needing to enable the webserver. Look also at the non-advanced setting slider bar "Max Image Storage (GB)". Here you would set the maximum amount of image files (in GB) of these plate captures according to your own storage capacity. Mine is set at 39 GB, and I can still see months-old plates.