Options for 4k, 25/30fps, 2 way audio, POE, cheap dome

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wanted to gauge people's opinions on this. I have been looking around and I am unable to find the perfect match for my requirements.

They are pretty simple I think.. and since IP cameras have been around for yonks, I would have thought I would be able to find something that fits the following criteria.

1. 4k please
2. POE
3. IR
4. Wide
5. 25/30fps
6. 2 way audio

Looking for a some type for indoor use and a few outdoor bullet types...

Any help and leads much appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to gauge people's opinions on this. I have been looking around and I am unable to find the perfect match for my requirements.

They are pretty simple I think.. and since IP cameras have been around for yonks, I would have thought I would be able to find something that fits the following criteria.

1. 4k please
2. POE
3. IR
4. Wide
5. 25/30fps
6. 2 way audio

Start reading the forum. For me a 200 dollar camera is "cheap".....

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You probably need to provide more info..distances you want to view, number of cameras needed, etc. Too vague for people to respond.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
'Wide' could mean anything.
Use the IPVM tool to plan the best lens size.

I see you've already made posts before; you must know how to search with Google.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
'Wide' could mean anything.
Use the IPVM tool to plan the best lens size.

I see you've already made posts before; you must know how to search with Google.
Absolutely know how to search google... However, community advice trumps all so there...

2.8mm is what I am looking for.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You probably need to provide more info..distances you want to view, number of cameras needed, etc. Too vague for people to respond.
For distances, I would go for

1. 15ft
2. 50ft
3. 150ft

These are the three distances I would need.
I need a couple of each of these.

For the indoor, it would be about 15ft as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yup, cheap is subjective. Any suggestions for the cameras?
again, failing to answer the question.. why should folks waste time recommending cameras when you may come back and say 50 bux is my max because that is why I saw selling at some random ali store.
You say you want "distances" of 150f then insist on 2.8mm cameras. You need to get the basics down first.

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
again, failing to answer the question.. why should folks waste time recommending cameras when you may come back and say 50 bux is my max because that is why I saw selling at some random ali store.
You say you want "distances" of 150f then insist on 2.8mm cameras. You need to get the basics down first.
Apologies

the 2.8mm one should be for the front door... the rest of them could be 4mm

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could do $200.. no problem

1. 4k please
2. POE
3. IR
4. Wide
5. 25/30fps
6. 2 way audio

For distances, I would go for

1. 15ft
2. 50ft
3. 150ft

These are the three distances I would need.
I need a couple of each of these.

For the indoor, it would be about 15ft as well.
Hi Alitech,

Q: You know there is a currently a Pandemic going on which completely jacked up the global supply chain?
Note: So even if you find the perfect model on a data sheet, you may have some issues sourcing the camera(s).
Honestly, you probably will have to adjust your requirements list a bit as I don't think we've seen one which meets all. SouthernYankee has a good list of models which we've looked at that he shares with welcomes to new members.

Dome
Bullets
IP PoE

Requirements:
  • 4k please - 4K UHD / 8MP - possible numerous models available now
  • POE - no problem
  • IR - no problem
  • Wide - 2.8mm - plenty of those out there.
  • 25/30fps - oh, getting a bit of a challenge with that, "4K" and 30 fps requires more processing power in the camera. You may need to settle for 15fps for a more options.
  • 2 way audio - oh, this really starts to limit your issues options. - also note, numerous legal issues with wiretap laws.
  • distances, I would go for
    • 1. 15ft
    • 2. 50ft
    • 3. 150ft ( oh, um.. you're gonna want to review the DORI section in the cliff notes and checkout the IPVM calculator... )
  • Budget: I could do $200.. no problem

Last edited:

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Alitech,

Q: You know there is a currently a Pandemic going on which completely jacked up the global supply chain?
Note: So even if you find the perfect model on a data sheet, you may have some issues sourcing the camera(s).
Honestly, you probably will have to adjust your requirements list a bit as I don't think we've seen one which meets all. SouthernYankee has a good list of models which we've looked at that he shares with welcomes to new members.

Dome
Bullets
IP PoE

Requirements:
  • 4k please - 4K UHD / 8MP - possible numerous models available now
  • POE - no problem
  • IR - no problem
  • Wide - 2.8mm - plenty of those out there.
  • 25/30fps - oh, getting a bit of a challenge with that, "4K" and 30 fps requires more processing power in the camera. You may need to settle for 15fps for a more options.
  • 2 way audio - oh, this really starts to limit your issues. - also note, numerous legal issues with wiretap laws.
  • distances, I would go for
    • 1. 15ft
    • 2. 50ft
    • 3. 150ft ( oh, um.. you're gonna want to review the DORI section in the cliff notes and checkout the IPVM calculator... )
  • Budget: I could do $200.. no problem
Thank you for not attacking me for asking a question, now that is the kind of response I was looking for. Thank you so much.

I would have thought that by now there would be more options with some faster processing baked into the camera foe 25/30 fps

The audio was a nice to have to be honest, but most consumer security cameras like Arlo, nest etc are all doing 2 way talk in their weatherproof cloud based cameras, I would have thought the big boys at hikvision and dahua would follow suit by now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for not attacking me for asking a question, now that is the kind of response I was looking for. Thank you so much.

I would have thought that by now there would be more options with some faster processing baked into the camera foe 25/30 fps

The audio was a nice to have to be honest, but most consumer security cameras like Arlo, nest etc are all doing 2 way talk in their weatherproof cloud based cameras, I would have thought the big boys at hikvision and dahua would follow suit by now.
Demands for 30fps shows that you have not read the cliff notes and wish to waste space.
Both hikvision and dahua and their rebranders like lorex have cameras that support two way audio. With most models you need to be a "big boy" and install an amplified speaker and/or a powered mic. There are several models with built in mics and built in speakers. Just because you have not found them doesnt mean they dont exist. There are plenty of the threads discussing this. However, you need to spend the time researching. If this is too much, stick with nest/arlo and suffer from horrible image quality, wifi problems and cloud fees.

Last edited:

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alitech,
You've gotten some good guidance in regards to asking for advice on cameras in terms of what you want to do I think you will get better input with a different question. If you ask what other people are doing and then describing the results you hope to get instead of technical specifications. The 2-way audio is a good start- POE as well if your looking for installation ease. If not be sure to ask for what you want.

Other requirements might be - 2 cameras that will

I want to be able to recognize a person netween x and y feet.
I expect the camera to be used in complete darkness and want it to (detect motion/tripwire/show clear image...) at xx feet
These will be used (at a door, across the lawn, pointed down 150' driveay)
I want very smooth motion - nearly as good as TV
Cameras will / will not be actively monitored

2 more cameras with xx

2 more with yy

I expect to have as many as zz cameras

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

HI Alitech

Arlo, Nest, and other consumer grade cloud dependent cameras do not even come close to meeting your requirements.
( none are 4K UHD 30 fps.. )

Furthermore, no consumer grade cloud camera meets the minimum requirements of

Security Camera System Minimal Viable Product requirements:
  • 1) It must be Reliable.
  • 2) It must be able to capture good enough images to potentially ID suspects.
  • 3) It must be useful for evidence. [ thus date and time stamps are critical ]
Consumer grade cloud dependent cameras are typically not reliable, at best have a very short ID range ( lower effective pixels due to excess compression settings often to further reduce bandwidth, issues with embedded time stamps,.. )

As Fenderman notes - there are models which Hikvision and Dahua have that can do 2-way audio - however that does further limit your model selections, which imho I see little reason to have 2-way chit chat going on at all my camera positions. ( I really only see needing one to answer the door - in which case I would look for a video intercom camera product. )

Do look at the recent 2020 Dahua catalog and see if you can find a model which meets or is close enough to your requirements. If you find it, you can inquire with Andy if he has access to it.