Ordered Sony SNC-VB770 Image Sensor Size 35MM :)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried switching to H.265 with HD to see if BL works, then try 4k?
So That is also strange more likely either user error on my part or Camera firmware may have to be updated or setting I am overlooking.

I only see one setting for codec h264. Also I have not found a place yet to control shutter speed either. Not that I think I am gonna need it since it seem to be doing hell of a job even in auto but still wanna know if its possible may give Sony a call tomorrow.

Also this camera is supported by Bosch Sony transfer to them which was interesting :D Will talk to them tomorrow again if they are open.

In the mean while here is another video I shot with iPhone tonight for comparison.

By the way does anyone know what enclosure box brand this is

cctv-mag-security-essen-2016-12-sony-snc-vb770-1024x538.jpg

Since sony one is super expensive I Wanna see if other can fit this camera and cheaper.. or not

Last edited:

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That enclosure says "dotworkz" on the side and looking at their site seems to be their "dotworkz s-type."

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
That enclosure says "dotworkz" on the side and looking at their site seems to be their "dotworkz s-type."
Thank you so much I could not see exactly what it said on the side I knew it was dot something something.. But I will look them up now. Thank you

Yes, I was looking at those too I guess time to figure out what lens I am mounting if this yes and also whats the width of this and then figure out what enclousure can work :D Thank you I will be posting the dimensions pretty soon. I am confident with help of all the IPCT members I be able to find a good box at a good price. Once again thank you everyone and IPCT.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the manufacture name, I was able to find the website for dotworkz. I am almost zero in on the manufacture just need to find the right model now. Seems like some of the enclosure dotworkz have are even blastic proff :D WOW

For me this one looks promising too.

S-Type IP66 COOLDOME 12V Active Cooling and Heating Camera Housing with Stainless Steel Arm (ST-CD-HB-SS)"

There are also more..

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you certainly don't need a heated enclosure here in the Bay Area. Not even sure you'd need active cooling (ie,a fan to make more noise or a peltier to draw more power)

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
you certainly don't need a heated enclosure here in the Bay Area. Not even sure you'd need active cooling (ie,a fan to make more noise or a peltier to draw more power)
I am sure Like you said I would probably not need a heater. But blower I think would be better. SInce there are days it does hit triple digits in summer. Plus I think keeping the camera cool would be nice :D

I think drawing more power will not be an issue I can run a sep line for the enclosure box. However The dust it sucks in thru fan vents that is my only concern.. How dirty would it get and how often would I need to clean..

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, Finally Figured out at-least the shutter priority and stuff where I can adjust that.. Manual is super helpful LOL

1587843111411.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is quite a camera. I'm not quite sure what to make of its encoding settings though, since the VBR option doesn't even let you specify the target quality.

1587846898505.png

To try to get it working in Blue Iris, (which is "BI" @concord, not "BL" :rofl: ), I would first max out the resolution (because you spent a crapload on this camera, why run it lower than native?) try setting the frame rate to 15 FPS, i-picture interval to 1, B-picture unchecked, H.264 profile baseline, and compression mode to CBR around 8000 Kbps. After you get it working you can try turning things back up and see what you can get away with.

In Blue Iris, some of the settings that might affect it are the receive buffer in the Network IP camera configuration panel (set it to 20 MB or something, which should be way higher than you actually need). There's also a decoder compatibility mode checkbox in there, which might do nothing at all but it is worth a try to toggle it on or off. And finally back on the BI camera settings > Video tab, try Hardware accelerated decode: No, Intel, and Intel + VPP, and Intel Beta (assuming the PC has an intel GPU and it is enabled). If it has an nvidia GPU then try the Nvidia option too.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
@bp2008 Thank you a tons. I am gonna try everything possible to make it work with BI. Also I think Ken from BI is also going to look into this he sent me an email this morning asking for rtsp feed. Also Codec vise it does not seem to have any option except h264.

I do love the camera though What I saw last night it was doing LOL. Anyhow It works in 1080p without an issue so I am guessing It will at somepoint work with BI at 4k as well. I am gonna now try everything you said and play with it. Yes I am trying this for now on a i7 4770k machine.

I do have a plan to build a 3990x which I am still buying parts. But for now this will do :D I will keep trying. Once again @bp2008 Thank you always !! How is the 3950x running are you still using it for BI ? Would love to hear.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Trying different settings as @bp2008 mentioned

1587849471685.png

HA is now to no and now it is a lot better @ 4k still a bit messed up on top what else can I try ?? (but lot better)

1587849891978.png
now off course CPU the only one camera which is this one is hovering around 50 % i7 4770k BUt I am not worried about that since ... The new pc should handle it better :D Question becomes now that green bar still there..

1587849708215.png

1587849788990.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You might check the network settings in the camera and see if it has a setting for RTSP over UDP. You definitely don't want to use UDP.

Also might be worth checking for a firmware update. Otherwise hopefully Ken can figure out what is wrong.

The only time I ever had a camera that showed corruption consistently like that, it was a 5MP cam from some small chinese brand, and it affected other apps like VLC the same as BI. The problem in its case was it had buggy firmware with a buggy TCP implementation so the video stream got corrupted a lot. A 1-second iframe interval greatly helped but the real fix was a firmware update that eventually became available.

How is the 3950x running are you still using it for BI ? Would love to hear.
Nope, that was just a test to see how BI would work on it. The 3950x is my main workstation/gaming PC. I have dedicated hardware for Blue Iris.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there some type of security light where you are at? Video looks good.

It shouldn't need light. Unless these were fiddled, this is a video I found on Youtube and posted on here several years ago. The light gathering of these cameras is fantastic if you can afford the 2.5K Price:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
It shouldn't need light. Unless these were fiddled, this is a video I found on Youtube and posted on here several years ago. The light gathering of these cameras is fantastic if you can afford the 2.5K Price:

Exact reason I picked this camera, SNC-VB770 is the best in security camera seems to be on the planet when it comes to low light. :D

Here is a very in depth review on this camera :D

Now I am not sure if I am confused if you were referring to any other camera or no you said 2.5k for the camera. I just wanted to correct there if you are talking about this camera in particular it is around 8k not 2.5k.

Also the lens itself even a decent cheap one is around 1k

and if you go with Sony enclosure that is about 1.3k

So once if you add up all three to make this work even with just an decent lens it is about 10G +

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't relaise it was that expensive. Yes must have it confused with another camera price wise. TBH, on price it's a bit of a con when you consider you can pick up the Sony A7S DSLR with a similar if not the same sensor for as little as $1,500.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't relaise it was that expensive. Yes must have it confused with another camera price wise. TBH, on price it's a bit of a con when you consider you can pick up the Sony A7S DSLR with a similar if not the same sensor for as little as $1,500.
I am aware of the camera not exactly the same as the one I got but yea price difference I know is huge. :)