Outdoor Solar-Powered Cams

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would anybody know of any decent moderately-priced outdoor cameras (or line/brand of cameras) that are solar powered which I could fold into my Blue Iris software? I ask because I want to replace my current outdoor Arlo cameras that are battery-operated (and can't be used with BI), and I don't want to hook up AC/elec cams outside. Thanks folks. - Mike

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nevermind (I'm the OP) -- I've done more research and it appears there's really no such thing that will work with Blue Iris adequately. Thanks anyway folks! :)

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL - I guess. I mean they can put a man on the moon, but STILL can't come up with a viable solar operated... Oh well, First World problem of course.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL - I guess. I mean they can put a man on the moon, but STILL can't come up with a viable solar operated... Oh well, First World problem of course.
Hi DroMike,

There are some really nice viable solar powered options... however, like putting a man on the moon - it will cost you, or you have to build your own.
( like nordic camera did.. here's an example of the results Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) )

For those of us looking for more cost effective reliable results .. well have to tell you, you have to go wired.

Seriously ditch the thoughts of an affordable wifi, battery, solar options ... significantly more cost effective to just run the cables for many of the cases.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate making me aware of those thinking-out-of-the options box Mat(t). As has been said twice here, it appears I'd just be better off with old school wiring; but it's nice to bounce it off you folks with obviously more knowledge than mine. It's nice to be able to funnel my game plan to more realistic choices. Thanks for the education all. - Mike

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't want to hook up AC/elec cams outside.
If you're running ethernet to the cameras and using PoE you will not be installing any AC electrical outlets.
LOL - I guess. I mean they can put a man on the moon, but STILL can't come up with a viable solar operated...
Size is the key here, you wouldn't like the size solar panel and battery that would be required for solar to be viable. As you know battery powered cameras like Arlo and trail cams typically have a motion sensor and are in a very low power state most of the time where video is not available.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're running ethernet to the cameras and using PoE you will not be installing any AC electrical outlets.
Wow, I didn't know that. I have 8 consumer-type cams (5 Arlo's, 2 Dropcams and an Amcrest) that I'm powering either by batteries (the Arlo cams) or AC/electricity and connecting by Wifi. I never realized other cameras could be powered by an ethernet cable only (and ostensibly also wouldn't need Wifi if they have that hard/Ethernet connection). This is a bit of an epiphany for me. Blue Iris seems (and you folks seem) to be opening my eyes to other home security worlds. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know that. I have 8 consumer-type cams (5 Arlo's, 2 Dropcams and an Amcrest) that I'm powering either by batteries (the Arlo cams) or AC/electricity and connecting by Wifi. I never realized other cameras could be powered by an ethernet cable only (and ostensibly also wouldn't need Wifi if they have that hard/Ethernet connection). This is a bit of an epiphany for me. Blue Iris seems (and you folks seem) to be opening my eyes to other home security worlds. Thanks!
Hi Mike,

Take some time and review the cliff notes.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

I'm very happy to have dumped my Arlo system and other non-PoE cameras for a better wired cat5e/6 based IP PoE setup.

Well worth the effort.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks mat200. I HATE the Arlos because they start recording AFTER they detect motion, so, e.g., I'm always seeing the back of the mailman leave my front porch. That's not going to be helpful if I DO have a porch-surfer or burglar (if he's fast enough). So I want to get rid of those. However, I just learned how to successfully integrate the Drop/Nestcams to Blue Iris and the Amcrest (841B) works there too (and after a week of struggling I finally got the BI Android/mobile app to work). So either I get maybe 3 or so more Amcrests, or perhaps the cams that are evidently called PoE cams. You know, I bought all these handy-dandy Arlo/Dropcam wireless cameras that in the long-term might not have been ideal -- guilty/mea culpa!. So I spent some money for the lessons I'm learning now about what I should've done from you folks. Better late than never I guess. But yes, I'll read those notes and everything else I can to sop up an education. Thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's sure to be someone on ebay willing to buy your arlos

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mat200. I HATE the Arlos because they start recording AFTER they detect motion, so, e.g., I'm always seeing the back of the mailman leave my front porch. That's not going to be helpful if I DO have a porch-surfer or burglar (if he's fast enough). So I want to get rid of those. However, I just learned how to successfully integrate the Drop/Nestcams to Blue Iris and the Amcrest (841B) works there too (and after a week of struggling I finally got the BI Android/mobile app to work). ..
Hi Mike,

Recommend picking up some nicer IP PoE cameras and a PoE switch.

If you're a amazon prime member there should hopefully be some good deals on PoE switches on prime day.

I you like Amcrest, I would recommend their 8MP Bullet camera - good solid Dahua OEM product. The dome model is not a good choice for outdoors, and unfortunately they do not carry the turret version.
( Andy empiretecandy here - can get some nice Dahua OEM models - see the wiki notes on that ).

For low light the Dahua OEM starlight line ( 2MP ) is very nice - and some models even cheaper than a nest outdoor camera.

There's sure to be someone on ebay willing to buy your arlos
FYI - he will need to hurry, Arlo / Arlo Pro / Arlo Pro 2 prices dropping in price significantly over the last year.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't have put them up for sale (not that I'd think anybody would've wanted these outdated 5-yr. old cams anyway) -- I'm happy enough to either toss them or give them to my neighbors so we can all be more secure. Like I said, besides the annoyances of the batteries which I seem to need to change regularly, I truly can't stand that they are late to record -- a sticking point w/all Arlo owners. That makes them a fairly ineffective camera for the most part; so no real loss. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One more thing to mention is it's best to run your own un-terminated cable. Some pre-made cable uses extra small wires that aren't always up to the task of powering a camera and it's easier to damage cables that are already terminated during installation.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Look into the Reolink Argus 2 . Had a factory made solar panel and I thought I saw on their site it works with Blueiris

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look into the Reolink Argus 2 . Had a factory made solar panel and I thought I saw on their site it works with Blueiris
Hi pal251

I would avoid that, Reolink has a very poor reputation here.

All of the wifi products are less reliable compared to a wired solution.
All of the battery operated consumer camera products are even more unreliable and problematic on capturing the complete video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it will not work with blue iris...
the solar panel is a separate purchase and looks like crap. Better off paying someone to run cable to install a proper camera.

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I certainly don't know personally one way or the other but somebody who actually has this Reolink Argus 2 and Blue Iris shouldn't be dissuaded from at least giving it a try. What would it hurt, right? I mention because when I was looking at this cam in passing I found a page on their own website with the subject line of "How to Add Reolink Cameras to Blue Iris" with instructions included: How to Add Reolink Cameras to Blue Iris - Reolink Of course I'm new to all of this so if FM is adamant, then it seems to me (a layman) that Reolink's claim must be misleading.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly don't know personally one way or the other but somebody who actually has this Reolink Argus 2 and Blue Iris shouldn't be dissuaded from at least giving it a try. What would it hurt, right? I mention because when I was looking at this cam in passing I found a page on their own website with the subject line of "How to Add Reolink Cameras to Blue Iris" with instructions included: How to Add Reolink Cameras to Blue Iris - Reolink Of course I'm new to all of this so if FM is adamant, then it seems to me (a layman) that Reolink's claim must be misleading.
It would hurt. Reolink is garbage. They are a lying scamming company. Only a complete idiot would rather install a butt ugly solar panel and camera at a total cost of 160 for an inferior cam instead of doing it right with ethernet for about 200 total.
Reolink makes OTHER cameras as well and those can be added to blue iris as they are not battery powered and that what the link is about. Note that those reolinks still have issues with blue iris because the iframe interval cannot be adjusted.
Stop being lazy and looking for silly solutions. You already made a mistake with arlo...it would be easier for you to simply flush your money down the toilet.