Package thieves on Christmas eve morning.

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Learned a lot from this one. I live a city of about 30,000 and thought mail theft would be treated as a very serious crime. I've now learned that the Federal US Code Section 1708 doesn't apply to private residences and any crime is based on the value of the goods. In my case, misdemeanor, leaving the burden of police action on the victim. One must press charges, sign arrest warrants and hope something happens,

The next day the police ID'd the perps and knew where they lived in the neighborhood. They could not do anything until the above was complete. Now they've visited the house several times but to date, the perps are still running around.

This is a Dahua Starlight 2 MP. Made the video private so I'm not sure if it works for others.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Nitedaze Sorry to hear what a challenge it is to get proper action by your local authorities.

upload_2019-1-15_15-41-39.png
upload_2019-1-15_15-42-9.png
upload_2019-1-15_15-42-42.png
upload_2019-1-15_15-44-10.png
upload_2019-1-15_15-45-16.png

Time to mount a couple more cameras

upload_2019-1-15_15-46-49.png

Add one watching your driveway to watch over your car when it is parked on your driveway and watch the road.

Notice that once they get close to the front door you have a challenging angle to get a good facial ID image, add another camera by the front door at eye level.

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow! How did you do that? I was just uploading to youtube (for the 1st time) so folks didn't have to download. Thank you for the advice. There's a 2nd driveway that goes behind the house to a 3 car garage that I'm trying to cover as well.

I just got 2 more cams from Andy! These are 8 mp fixed 2.8, which I figured will allow me to zoom the 2 varifocals in.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The video is not available right now...did you make it 'unlisted' and use that link in the first post?

Judging by the truck bed, yours was not the first. Scumbags.

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thx for letting me know. I uploaded file originally but it was huge. I've embedded the YT vid but if it stays unavailable I'll make it public. Never uploaded to youtube before.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Type your narrative, then hit enter a few times, then click on the media button just above the body, then paste your youtube url in the available field. I hate theives, especially when they seek out something to steal. They also know that the law can't do anything to them. It's a low risk, High pay job.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Video still not available. You probably need to change the permissions to public.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It plays fine now. I'm surprised how long they hang around waiting for someone to answer the door.

I'd have thought most thieves would want to blast out of there with the packages as fast as possible. Even though waiting at the door makes it look like they're legitimate visitors, once they pick up the packages, anyone watching will know that's not right

Now that the police know who the thieves are, and that you'll press charges, are they going to move forward?

And, will the PD release the names and addresses of the thieves, or do they need to wait for a conviction?

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It plays fine now. I'm surprised how long they hang around waiting for someone to answer the door.

I'd have thought most thieves would want to blast out of there with the packages as fast as possible. Even though waiting at the door makes it look like they're legitimate visitors, once they pick up the packages, anyone watching will know that's not right

Now that the police know who the thieves are, and that you'll press charges, are they going to move forward?

And, will the PD release the names and addresses of the thieves, or do they need to wait for a conviction?
Police have visited their house several times but haven't caught them as of yet.

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mail theft is a felony, with a possible prison term of 5 years.
United States Postal Inspection Service
Apparently not. The code refers to post office locations but once it's delivered to a home the local police here say it' s a matter of the value of the stolen goods. So this one is a misdemeanor. Sad huh? Legally, it's like some kid came and stole my garden hose. Local news, DA, Post Office weren't interested. DA told me Post Master General only handles vary large cases.

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: The two were arrested yesterday and they've already posted bond. Lieutenant told me I will be subpoenaed and must be present at their trial or the charges will be dropped. So much for justice and rule of law huh?

Nitedaze

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm glad justice in our country requires the courts and includes the presumption of innocence.

Kind of like traffic court, if the officer doesn't show the ticket gets dropped.
I do too. But when there is a video of perps stealing mail why should the victim have to be the one to ensure the crime is even prosecuted? Then personally press charges. Then get subpoenad to show up in court to be exposed to the perps for future harassment?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do too. But when there is a video of perps stealing mail why should the victim have to be the one to ensure the crime is even prosecuted? Then personally press charges. Then get subpoenad to show up in court to be exposed to the perps for future harassment?
Because the video only tells part of the story. The constitution provides that a defendant has the right to confront the witnesses against him. Without your testimony that says you did not permit them to take those packages and authenticate the video itself so that it is admissible, there is no case. This is good for you and society in the long run. Those drafters were some smart cookies. As far as the perps they already know where you live so you are no more exposed than before. They wont go back - they know you will make sure they serve more time.