Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I doubt that the Chinese are being honest with the numbers

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Death toll over 900 today ..... as reported.....
I’m beginning to not believe the reporting. Far too many who know more than I say it’s being manupilulated.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
When do you think the panic of the masses will begin?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When do you think the panic of the masses will begin?
Panic of the masses has several levels..
Level 1) Becoming extremely cautious and forgoing extracurricular activities. Little Johny doesn't go to his friend's house, no more eating out at restaurants, no baseball games, and everyone wears gloves when filling up their cars.
Level 2) Even your neighbors are not allowed over, you're stocking up food supplies and calling in sick to work. (China is currently at level 2)
Level 3) The grid power has gone down because workers won't show up to do their jobs and you're always looking out your windows for bad guys looking to raid your home for food.

Here in the USA, we will probably reach Level 1 panic as soon as we start seeing hundreds of cases all over the country. People will begin to dial back going to the movies, concerts, or any place with large amounts of people. They will start wearing gloves and masks in normal places like grocery stores and they will start to purchase more food with each visit so to limit the trips they need to make. It will be almost unnoticeable at first.. you'll see someone wearing a mask and think "that's a weirdo"...

The Federal government has taken extreme measures to isolate this virus and I believe they will be successful. Really, the only goal they need to achieve is to make sure there is more quarantine and medical care capacity than there are patients who need it. So long as they stay under that critical level, we'll be fine.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Death toll over 900 today ..... as reported.....
I’m beginning to not believe the reporting. Far too many who know more than I say it’s being manupilulated.
Use your math and powers of logic and deduction.... You can do it Luke!

I agree that China could be lying.. but all you need to do is to look at all the other countries and run the numbers to see if they match up with China.. so unless you're suggesting all the affected governments are in cahoots with each other (COLLUSION!!! LOL), then their numbers should be on par with China's numbers.. and the reality is that everything points to China having a higher death rate.

But you are correct in one thing, the total infected is probably far higher than what is being reported.. Not a cover up, its just that not everyone experiences the same symptoms or requires special medical care. It has been reported that a lot of people just feel sick for a few days and get over it like any other common virus. I'm betting those numbers are not being reported for a variety of reasons. Test kits are in short supply so why use one on someone who says they have a runny nose but feel fine?

lawdawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reading the thread title I thought this was going to be more about being concerned if someone sneezed into one of our packages being shipped from China.
Just where is Andy getting his stuff from anyway ? hehehehe :D
LOL. I had the same thought. Opened the thread because I needed to understand the ipcam-virus nexus. I figured it was either a Biological virus to computer virus transmutation or more likely sneezed on cameras from China.

The over-seas sneeze theory actually seemed plausible. I ordered some cameras from Andy a week or so ago and he told me he wouldn't be able to ship them until Feb 9th because of the virus in China/Hong Kong. He didn't provide additional details but sounds like Hong Kong was on lock down. Then tonight I got an email saying it would be another 3-5 days before he would be allowed to return to work! Things have to be pretty serious for Hong Kong to close.

I'm pretty sure the sneeze-in-a-box theory is crap and I only entertained it for the briefest moment. The part about Andy is true. Makes the situation more significant and personal knowing one of our own is affected.
Andy, Stay safe and healthy. Godspeed. Please ship my cameras

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Panic of the masses has several levels..
Level 1) Becoming extremely cautious and forgoing extracurricular activities. Little Johny doesn't go to his friend's house, no more eating out at restaurants, no baseball games, and everyone wears gloves when filling up their cars.
Level 2) Even your neighbors are not allowed over, you're stocking up food supplies and calling in sick to work. (China is currently at level 2)
Level 3) The grid power has gone down because workers won't show up to do their jobs and you're always looking out your windows for bad guys looking to raid your home for food.

Here in the USA, we will probably reach Level 1 panic as soon as we start seeing hundreds of cases all over the country. People will begin to dial back going to the movies, concerts, or any place with large amounts of people. They will start wearing gloves and masks in normal places like grocery stores and they will start to purchase more food with each visit so to limit the trips they need to make. It will be almost unnoticeable at first.. you'll see someone wearing a mask and think "that's a weirdo"...

The Federal government has taken extreme measures to isolate this virus and I believe they will be successful. Really, the only goal they need to achieve is to make sure there is more quarantine and medical care capacity than there are patients who need it. So long as they stay under that critical level, we'll be fine.

There’s a monumental gap, Luke, between your #2 and the forced lockdown being experienced in China right now.

One big difference between the rates in China and many other countries is that it apparently began much earlier (+\- 30 days)- before it was known to be such a big problem. That coupled with 1.4B people crammed into an area roughly equal to the US with almost 5x the people, and I would guess, not quite the same sophistication of front line medical detection.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There’s a monumental gap, Luke, between your #2 and the forced lockdown being experienced in China right now.

One big difference between the rates in China and many other countries is that it apparently began much earlier (+\- 30 days)- before it was known to be such a big problem. That coupled with 1.4B people crammed into an area roughly equal to the US with almost 5x the people, and I would guess, not quite the same sophistication of front line medical detection.
No gap.. Mandatory lockdown can not occur in the USA.. It is as unenforceable as requiring everyone to eat at the same time of the day. This isn't true in China where people are racked, stacked, and packed into mass complexes. And as you imply, their density is working against them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t think so, but doesn’t matter. It’s a blog sorta format, multiple authors, with typically good geo political and financial news. Unlike some I’m not looking under rocks for Russian spies. While there is plenty of opinion, they tend to quote verifiable sources such as that article.

I distrust the Chinese far more..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no way of verfying this but it’s accepted as fact by most others

In September 2009, news reports identified Daniel Ivandjiiski, a Bulgarian-born,[d] U.S.-educated,[e]former hedge-fund trader, who was barred from the securities industry in September 2008 for earning US$780 from an insider trade by FINRA,[19] as the founder of the site, and reported that "Tyler Durden" was a pseudonym for Ivandjiiski.[2][20][21] FINRA rulings show Ivandjiiski worked for 3 years at New York investment bank, Jefferies & Co.,[22] as well a number of hedge funds, the last of which was Wexford Capital LLC, a fund led by former Goldman Sachs traders.[23] One female site contributor, who spoke to New York magazine in an interview arranged by Ivandjiiski, said "up to 40" people could post under the "Tyler Durden" pseudonym.[2] The same New York magazine article, published on 27 September 2009, stated that Ivandjiiski's father was Krassimir Ivandjiiski,[2] a Bulgarian publisher and editor of the website Strogo Sekretno ("Top Secret"), and monthly publication Bulgarian Confidential, since 1994.[f]

In a 29 April 2016 Bloomberg article "unmasking" Zero Hedge,[10] the authors writing as "Tyler Durden" were revealed as Ivandjiiski, then age 37, Tim Backshall, age 45 (a known credit derivatives strategist, who had been on CNBC; an irony given Zero Hedge's strong aversion to CNBC),[25] and Colin Lokey, age 32 (a Seeking Alpha staff writer).[26][27] Lokey, the newest member, who joined in 2015, publicly revealed himself and the other two, when he left the site in April 2016.[28]Ivandjiiski confirmed the three men "had been the only Tyler Durdens on the payroll" since Lokey joined in 2015.[10] Lokey said he was paid $6,000 per month, and received a bonus of $50,000, earning over $100,000 in 2015.[10] According to Ivandjiiski, the blog generates revenue from online advertising(there is no subscription service).[10]

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Seriously? Just google them..

Why do people not bother to research where their information comes from? Have we grown so gullible in the USA that we just blindly accept anything put on the internet?

Zerohedge is bulgarian, pro-putin, pro-russian.. .. its a camoflaged conspiracy and propaganda website masquerading as a financial information and news media site.

Russians can be sneaky... I'm an expert.. I married one.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I did, I stand by what I posted.

I don’t take anything I read there, or here, at face value. I tend to look at cited sources and make up my own mind. I place no more value in ZE stories than CNN ( ok maybe a little more)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL. I had the same thought. Opened the thread because I needed to understand the ipcam-virus nexus. I figured it was either a Biological virus to computer virus transmutation or more likely sneezed on cameras from China.

The over-seas sneeze theory actually seemed plausible. I ordered some cameras from Andy a week or so ago and he told me he wouldn't be able to ship them until Feb 9th because of the virus in China/Hong Kong. He didn't provide additional details but sounds like Hong Kong was on lock down. Then tonight I got an email saying it would be another 3-5 days before he would be allowed to return to work! Things have to be pretty serious for Hong Kong to close.

I'm pretty sure the sneeze-in-a-box theory is crap and I only entertained it for the briefest moment. The part about Andy is true. Makes the situation more significant and personal knowing one of our own is affected.
Andy, Stay safe and healthy. Godspeed. Please ship my cameras
He can't ship them, because Dahua isn't manufacturing them. They've been closed for two weeks.
He has also stated there is a shortage of the image chips, before the virus ordeal ever started.