Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, great post. I think I misinterpreted what you were saying or maybe just jumped the gun. I still doubt the US media are acting on directive to downplay anything (and short of very specific national security interest situations, doubt they would). But time will tell.

I fully agree that what info we are getting out of official Chinese sources is a shadow of the full truth, but I attribute some of that to beaurocratic issues as much as intent to lie. It's a rapidly moving target.

I definitely respect how China is able to devote resources to build hospital s in mere days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The VERY last thing China wants is to have the world think they need help from the US or anyone else. The State Is Everything over there. This is unfortunate as what China does (or doesn't do) is going to affect the rest of the world and already is.

China may be a manufacturing and technology powerhouse now but I still question their capability when it comes to handling something like this and the depth of their capabilities. We shall see.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Data set from
Clinical Characteristics of Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)–Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China

Findings In this single-center case series involving 138 patients with NCIP, 26% of patients required admission to the intensive care unit and 4.3% died. ( note 4.3% is not the CFR, case fatality rate, as this sample is biased of those who came to the hospital or worked at the hospital )

article:
Report offers insights into why early coronavirus cases may have been missed

details the cases of 138 patients with the virus in Wuhan, China

All of the patients were hospitalized at Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University during January as the outbreak was spreading rapidly. More than a quarter developed complications and needed intensive care. Six patients died.

Of the 138 patients:

• 99 percent had a fever
  • 70 percent had fatigue
  • 59 percent had a dry cough
  • 39 percent had appetite loss
  • 34 percent had body aches
  • 10 percent or fewer had diarrhea, nausea and dizziness.
Many of the patients got the infection in the hospital: 40 of the 138 are health care workers, and 17 of the 138 were already hospitalized for other reasons when they became infected by other patients.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for PPE (masks, gloves, overalls, goggles, face shields, etc), Bettymills.com appears to be a not-so-known source. They still have quite a selection and are still shipping.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm well prepared, far better than most
Immediately after 911, I caught the preparedness bug. And I caught it bad. 15,000 rounds of ammunition, 7 long guns, and 50 vacuum-packed milspec-foil-bagged 5-gallon 30-year shelf-life buckets of various foodstuffs...later (years later) I stopped. At one point I was looking for a respirator because of worry about Mrs. Q who gets really bad respiratory ailments sometimes. Never ended up buying a respirator, but I did waste some money on junk before I understood what I really needed. I’m glad I still got Most of that stuff, but I do wish I’d followed through with the respirator. The downside is that I live in Megatropolis and if the bad times come I’ll have to go down fighting, because ultimately there will be no escape from the corona-crazed-depraved citizens.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Immediately after 911, I caught the preparedness bug. And I caught it bad. 15,000 rounds of ammunition, 7 long guns, and 50 vacuum-packed milspec-foil-bagged 5-gallon 30-year shelf-life buckets of various foodstuffs...later (years later) I stopped. At one point I was looking for a respirator because of worry about Mrs. Q who gets really bad respiratory ailments sometimes. Never ended up buying a respirator, but I did waste some money on junk before I understood what I really needed. I’m glad I still got Most of that stuff, but I do wish I’d followed through with the respirator. The downside is that I live in Megatropolis and if the bad times come I’ll have to go down fighting, because ultimately there will be no escape from the corona-crazed-depraved citizens.
I don't live in a high density area.. in fact, I live in a very low density area. My property is big enough to land an airplane and surrounded by cornfields and cows.. I think I have about 20 of those 5 gallon buckets, but they're Augiston Farms wheat berries I got from Walmart when they accidentally listed them at $8 each on their website.. I picked up a hundred cans of Deep Woods OFF bug spray too, they listed the $4.58 cent can as $0.46 each. Couldn't pass that up! The rest of our food is stored in 55 gallon drums packed with mylar bags and buried in a series of 300 gallon septic tanks spread around the property.

15K rounds of ammo is a nice number.. I think we have about that in 22lr for rabbits and squirrels and stuff.. Not even sure what I have in 556 or 7.62 anymore.. I just shove a dozen ammo cans into the septic tanks every time I buy and bury one. The Federal xm193 seems to go on sale for 25 cents a round once or twice a year and I buy the 1000 round boxes from Palmetto with their free shipping. We coat the rifles with Mobil1 10W-30 and then vacuum seal them into food-saver bags.. then that goes into a PVC pipe with caps glued on the ends and then into the septic tanks.

I don't actually own very many guns like a lot of other folks. I figure I keep a couple in the house, the rest go into storage.. What good is having 200 guns if you can only fire one at a time? I'm not an octopus.

Food is far more important from my perspective. We keep a 2 year supply for 5 people + some extra for neighbors or trading. We even bought a freeze dryer to make our own. When the barrels are all full, we empty them out into the septic tanks.. bags.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
from the NY Times:

"China ignores offers of help from C.D.C. and W.H.O.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has offered for more than a month to send a team of experts to China to observe its coronavirus epidemic and help if it can. But no invitation from China has come — and no one can publicly explain why.

The World Health Organization, which made a similar offer about two weeks ago, appears to be facing the same cold shoulder, though a spokeswoman said it is just “sorting out arrangements.”

A possible reason, experts noted, is that outsiders could discover aspects of the outbreak that are embarrassing to China. For example, the country has not revealed how many of its doctors and nurses have died fighting the disease.

In private phone calls and texts, some Chinese medical professionals have said they are overwhelmed and would welcome not just extra hands, but specialized expertise.

On Friday, Alex M. Azar II, secretary of health and human services, said at a news briefing that he had recently reiterated the offer of a team to his Chinese counterpart, Dr. Ma Xiaowei.

Asked what the holdup was, Mr. Azar answered: “It’s up to the Chinese. We continue to expect fully that President Xi will accept our offer. We’re ready and willing and able to go.”

China has begun testing an antiviral drug in coronavirus patients.

On Thursday, China began enrolling patients in a clinical trial of remdesivir, an antiviral medicine made by Gilead, the American pharmaceutical giant.

The drug has to be given intravenously, is experimental and not yet approved for any use, and has not been studied in patients with any coronavirus disease. But studies of infected mice and monkeys have suggested that remdesivir can fight coronaviruses.

And it appears to be safe. It was tested without ill effects in Ebola patients, although it did not work well against that virus, which is in a different family from coronaviruses.

"

ref: ( hint - turn off javascript )

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...he rest of our food is stored in 55 gallon drums packed with mylar bags and buried in a series of 300 gallon septic tanks spread around the property....15K rounds of ammo is a nice number...
FuQ-a-jamoli brother...you ARE better prepared than most.

...and certainly better than I!

Truth be told I was just shooting off my big mouth...10,000 of my rounds are .22LR . in fact, 4 of my rifles are .22, including my cherished Marlin Golden 39A (the oldest and longest continuously production shoulder firearm in the world and — as you may know — Annie Oakley’s gun!).

I don't have any expensive fancy black rifles with all the fancy picatinny do-dad add-ons. In reality, if the zombies attack (reality...zombies...), I only really need my .308 BAR Mark IV to dispatch them far away, and my Remington 870P to kill ‘em up close.

I’m no pussy...but when I die...bury me with my Marlin 39A...just don’t tell the fellas!

I am humbled by your methods and preparations!

Last edited:

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FuQ-a-jamoli brother...you ARE better prepared than most.

...and certainly better than I!

Truth be told I was just shooting off my big mouth...10,000 of my rounds are .22LR . in fact, 4 of my rifles are .22, including my cherished Marlin Golden 39A (the oldest and longest continuously production shoulder firearm in the world and — as you may know — Annie Oakley’s gun!).

I don't have any expensive fancy black rifles with all the fancy picatinny do-dad add-ons. In reality, if the zombies attack (reality...zombies...), I only really need my .308 BAR Mark IV to dispatch them far away, and my Remington 870P to kill ‘em up close.

I’m no pussy...but when I die...bury me with my Marlin 39A...just don’t tell the fellas!

I am humbled by your methods and preparations!
I have a Ruger 10/22.. its my favorite gun and gets fired 100x more than anything else. While I am a prepper, I'm very different than most.. Not into guns all that much like some of these people are. I don't sit around polishing and stroking my firearms.. they're just tools to me.. not much different than a hammer or a multimeter. I'm more into being self sustaining. Most of our preps are only superior in two things, and that is food storage and energy. We have lots of food, and our house is run on a 10kW solar system with a 50kW battery backup I designed out of salvaged Chevy Volt lithium batteries.
Burying septic tanks of food makes me sound like some kind of paranoid doomsday guy.. but the real reason we do it is because our house isn't big enough to store that much stuff. Do you know what 6 million calories of food looks like? Take a 12ft by 12ft room and pack it solid from wall to wall and floor to ceiling and fill in all the nooks and corners.. that's about 6 million calories. I live on a big property, but the house is very average in size.
Putting food in a shed doesn't work either because summer temperatures will drastically cut its storage time down.

Septic tanks are cheap.. about a buck a gallon or so, and anyone can dig a hole.

In the past 10 years, I have fired exactly three 30 round mags of the black rifle stuff.. Not much.. I use my hammer and multimeter far more often.

The fact is, nothing is probably going to happen in my lifetime or yours.. nor is my home going to burn down.. but I still buy fire insurance.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
No need to be too worry, right now most Chinese people are required staying at home, can't go anywhere, so overseas no need to worry. The data is going down now.
Right now the city Wuhan and Hubei Provience has 60millions population totally are freezed , even can't go out of their house.
For those who do business with China will have some big problems, from my experience, In Feb most factories still can't produce anything till March. DAHUA and hikvision my estimate working time is 20th.Feb. Most items import from China , price will be increased till new stocks coming in, so if can buy earlier that would be great. But our price will not increase. Thanks for all guys support and regards, we will be free soon. :D

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The face masks are useless because they only block larger particulant matter not something as the the microscopic size of a virus. It's kind of like putting a screen in your window to keep the cold out.
Yes, but scared people think this can protect them, sometimes feel safe good for the scard guys. Asians think mask is the best to anti-virus.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Andy, so glad to see you commenting here. Do you have any concerns with power? I would think if people can't go to work, at some point the people responsible for operating and maintaining the power grid may be affected to the point that the system begins to suffer. Please keep us informed (if you can do so safely). Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you over there.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy, so glad to see you commenting here. Do you have any concerns with power? I would think if people can't go to work, at some point the people responsible for operating and maintaining the power grid may be affected to the point that the system begins to suffer. Please keep us informed (if you can do so safely). Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you over there.
Aha most people, not everyone. The life facility still opening, people can go there to buy anything in most cities.
But people in wuhan, right now can't go anywhere, make orders on app, the delivery guy will send their purchasing to their door. The military also come out to deliver the goods from other cities to Wuhan. US Walmart also working hard too to help the local people to buy items with stable price, appreciated !
For me, we also stay at home and work , reply the emails that delayed at these days. It's too bad to stay at home everyday, but have to:headbang:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy, I thought you lived and worked in the City of Hong Kong. Thank you for giving your perspective of the matter, hope to see improvement in the situation in the affected cities.

Aha most people, not everyone. The life facility still opening, people can go there to buy anything in most cities.
But people in wuhan, right now can't go anywhere, make orders on app, the delivery guy will send their purchasing to their door. The military also come out to deliver the goods from other cities to Wuhan. US Walmart also working hard too to help the local people to buy items with stable price, appreciated !
For me, we also stay at home and work , reply the emails that delayed at these days. It's too bad to stay at home everyday, but have to:headbang:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Located at Wuhan International Convention and Exhibition Center in Wuhan, Hubei province, Jianghan Cabin Hospital was put into operation on Wednesday night.
Hospital is too tight, so they change the exhibition center and university to cure those light symptoms people. All cost are undertaken by Chinese Gov.

1581131082899.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
They're doing a great job in terms of preparedness, this is something media does not want us to see.

Located at Wuhan International Convention and Exhibition Center in Wuhan, Hubei province, Jianghan Cabin Hospital was put into operation on Wednesday night.
Hospital is too tight, so they change the exhibition center and university to cure those light symptoms people. All cost are undertaken by Chinese Gov.

View attachment 55284

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks so surreal, like a scene out of a movie, but this is reality,