Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're sure they're trying to fall asleep? May be Billy tried some hypnosis on them and finally got it to work, :lmao:

Billy Gates is on TV right now with Anderson Pooper. The guy is an idiot and CNN is so full of spinning a narrative. I can't understand why people, their base, can believe that shit
View attachment 64684

You can't blame them for falling asleep.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
As of last night, Houston's Texas Medical Center ICU was at 100% capacity. A friend of mine is a doctor there.

I hope the anti mask folks are paying attention.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would think that something like that would make the news. They have been waiting for this for a long time, desperately trying to sell fear in any way they can. So, any public references for this claim?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think that something like that would make the news. They have been waiting for this for a long time, desperately trying to sell fear in any way they can. So, any public references for this claim?

Their ICU is full (note, only 28% of ICU is available for COVID-19 patients), and their surge capacity is now being employed. Even this will be exceeded in 2 weeks if trends continue.

1593182322867.png

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah yeah, folks on the Trump wing of the right don't trust news sources. Fine. But let's talk facts that can be verified in many ways here.

1. Cases are increasing rapidly in many states. Last I heard, it was 26 states showing an increase. Do you dispute this?
2. More widespread testing is contributing to the case increases, but the increase in testing positivity shows that it is more virus going around. Do you dispute this?
3. In many areas that opened early and particularly where distancing/masking is not prominent, hospitals are filling up. The more cases seen isn't just asymptomatic or minor symptoms. Do you dispute this?
4. Comparing the curves of either infection rate or death rate shows that the US response to the virus is relatively poor, in that we haven't crushed the case load/death rate any where nearly as well as most European or Asian countries. Do you dispute this?

I'm pragmatic not fearful. We have a problem here, and it isn't a media concoction. The US response flattened the curve but didn't crush it the way other countries have, and our population isn't doing the basic things needed to keep us on a proper trajectory. If you can cite facts from reputable sources to dispute any of the above I'm interested to discuss.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, the media is being deceptive by continuing to parrot headlines like "the rate of cases is increasing, the sky is falling..." etc, while depicting charts/numbers of "total cases" with captions that use the word "rate". The number of cases will always increase. It's a cumulative number! It would be far more educational and create a far more accurate impression for the viewers to see the daily/weekly case+death charts/numbers only. The cumulative numbers are useless and are nothing but sensationalist clickbait. People die. Get over it! Honestly, I think many Americans have gotten numb to the constant, hopeless drone from the media. If they showed us actual "rate" charts instead, the feedback to the public would be far more useful. "Look, two weeks ago, we were doing quite well, the numbers went down, but now we're having another spike." But we never hear them say that! The numbers they share with us only ever increase.
Secondly, in many places, the number of "cases" is increasing more rapidly due to increased testing, not increased infection. The media portrays this as the "pandemic" getting severely worse, instead of accurately tempering those numbers with the information that part of the increase is due to our expanding awareness of the issue. For example, while the number of cases has surged, the death rate in many places continues to fall or hold steady. We really should be focusing on COVID-19 hospitalizations—the current number of people in our hospitals for COVID-19 related treatment. This is the metric that really matters, and checking out the page you shared was educational. My gripe with the media is their constant misrepresentation of the facts, creating false impressions in the minds of the average viewer. People like you and I who understand statistics and know how to cut through the all the noise can see what's happening, but many people cannot and are just "scared".
I know that last I looked, the total number of deaths/year for my state was lower than it was at this time last year. That hardly counts as a pandemic! A true "pandemic" would cause the total death rate to substantially increase; like double or triple. But it went down slightly. I also understand that my state isn't every state; for example, New York was hit particularly hard.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Media outlets are stressing that they've been a surge of cases there and the governor may need to reverse the progress and go back to lockdown. All the fear mongering and lack of maturity on TV needs to stop :facepalm:
The main purpose of the fear mongering by the media is to try and make sure that President Trump is not reelected. They are using Covid-19 as an opportunity to do just that. That is why we do not always get the real low down on what is happening.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The main purpose of the fear mongering by the media is to try and make sure that President Trump is not reelected. They are using Covid-19 as an opportunity to do just that. That is why we do not always get the real low down on what is happening.
As I remember it Alexandria Occasionally Coherent tweeted that exact idea the other day. All Democratic Governors should keep their States locked down tight to keep the economy from improving and increasing the chance that President Trump won't be re-elected. She deleted that Tweet later in the day. I guess she was giving away too much of the Democratic strategy.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When a state lifts restrictions, especially when locked down for so long, it's like popping a cork and people over do it. Wonder how all the BLM protests and riots will affect the numbers too. In any case, this website (covidusa.net) hosts stats for USA and every state, just substitute your state in the address or use the "view" button toward the bottom.

It shows the increasing testing and number of positive, death rate, etc. Keep hearing stories from families that member died from known issue, only to have the death cert say covid, so not sure how accurate the numbers are.

USA current stats: 29 Million tested, 6.1% positive, 5% death rate
After seeing @juliand remark below, I found my calculations are screwed up, so:

Correction: Approx. 29 million tested, 2.45 million positive (2.45/29 =~ 8%), 0.1249 million deaths (0.1249/2.45 =~ 5%).
covidusa.net/?state=North Carolina
covidusa.net/?state=Florida
covidusa.net/?=Texas

Last edited: