Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with the total number of cases is that it is cumulative. The increases in testing are probably accounting for the large jump in "cases". The true indicator, at least to my non-medical mind, is the number of hospitalizations, then from there ICU cases and how many are intubated. Case numbers do provide an idea of how contagious it is, but that's really about it.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're absolutely right about that, also the daily testing doesn't yield any significant data either. It gives us false perception that the virus is relatively absent from the public when in reality, its largely still present everywhere. It takes several days for symptoms to first appear; some individuals show mild symptoms; some will contract it and not even notice they were exposed. These numbers are very arbitrary. Not everyone will want to go for testing. Its very well possible that thousands are contracting this everyday, even in the tri-state area. I check the NYS Department of Health website every other day, and from what I gather, the number of people tested and the number of people tested positive don't really shed much light in terms of how this virus is progressing. The state may be having having a smaller proportion of people testing positive, but that doesn't account for the number of people not wanting to go for testing.

The problem with the total number of cases is that it is cumulative. The increases in testing are probably accounting for the large jump in "cases". The ture indicator, at least to my non-medical, mind is the number of hospitalizations, then from there ICU cases and how many are intubated. Case numbers do provide an idea of how contagious it is, but that's really about it.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really do not know why people are worried about Cov-19 when global warming is going to kill us next year.
Have fun and live for today.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha, Siberia is currently 40 degrees higher than usual :eek: There goes the permafrost. At least we can bring the Woolly Mammoth back from extinction.

1593380418853.png

I really do not know why people are worried about Cov-19 when global warming is going to kill us next year.
Have fun and live for today.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Texas Hospital CEO: COVID Inpatient Count 'Misinterpreted,' Level Of Alarm 'Unwarranted'

In Texas, focal point of national anxiety about a coronavirus 'second wave,' the state counts every COVID-positive hospital patient as a hospitalization for COVID itself, which may be exaggerating numbers.

Health officials in Texas are logging every single COVID-19-positive hospital patient in the state as a COVID-19 hospitalization, even if the patients themselves are admitted seeking treatment for something other than the coronavirus.

That policy may be serving to artificially inflate what ostensibly seems like a significant COVID-19 surge in the state. Texas has lately been the focal point of national anxiety over concerns that a "second wave" of the coronavirus has begun there after the state began reopening nearly two months ago.

COVID-19 hospitalizations there have been on a steady upward track for about the last two weeks, per the state's coronavirus dashboard, which on Thursday recorded about 4,400 coronavirus hospitalizations in the state. But at least part of that trend may be due to liberal coding policies by state officials.

Lindsey Rosales, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, confirmed to Just the News this week that the state is categorizing every inpatient in the state with a positive COVID-19 test as a COVID-19 hospitalization.

"The number of hospitalized patients includes patients with a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19 even if the person is admitted to the hospital for a different reason," Rosales said.

Asked if inpatients in the state are tested for COVID-19 whenever they arrive for treatment, Rosales said, "Hospitals set their own protocols for determining when and if to test patients for COVID-19."

She said the state does not keep track of the patients hospitalized with the coronavirus versus those hospitalized specifically because of it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
And yet Jeff Bezos has no delivery date set indefinitely

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Texas Hospital CEO: COVID Inpatient Count 'Misinterpreted,' Level Of Alarm 'Unwarranted'

In Texas, focal point of national anxiety about a coronavirus 'second wave,' the state counts every COVID-positive hospital patient as a hospitalization for COVID itself, which may be exaggerating numbers.

Health officials in Texas are logging every single COVID-19-positive hospital patient in the state as a COVID-19 hospitalization, even if the patients themselves are admitted seeking treatment for something other than the coronavirus.

That policy may be serving to artificially inflate what ostensibly seems like a significant COVID-19 surge in the state. Texas has lately been the focal point of national anxiety over concerns that a "second wave" of the coronavirus has begun there after the state began reopening nearly two months ago.

COVID-19 hospitalizations there have been on a steady upward track for about the last two weeks, per the state's coronavirus dashboard, which on Thursday recorded about 4,400 coronavirus hospitalizations in the state. But at least part of that trend may be due to liberal coding policies by state officials.

Lindsey Rosales, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, confirmed to Just the News this week that the state is categorizing every inpatient in the state with a positive COVID-19 test as a COVID-19 hospitalization.

"The number of hospitalized patients includes patients with a lab-confirmed case of COVID-19 even if the person is admitted to the hospital for a different reason," Rosales said.

Asked if inpatients in the state are tested for COVID-19 whenever they arrive for treatment, Rosales said, "Hospitals set their own protocols for determining when and if to test patients for COVID-19."

She said the state does not keep track of the patients hospitalized with the coronavirus versus those hospitalized specifically because of it.

Why is this a surprise to anyone? Special PPE and containment protocols are required for covid-19 patients whether they are there for intubation or hangnail trimming. The ICU is still full into surge capacity now, and most of the ICU Covid patients aren't there for hangnails, for sure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How about a magic trick? If you are on a computer, use google for this... (I use duck duck, but this is only a google thing)

Pick a number between 1 and 5000 and then add the phrase "new cases" without the quotes. Now you could be looking for new cases of beer, new cases of HIV, or anything else but here's the trick... I can give you the answer as to what the first result will pertain to. "Control the narrative and you control the people"...

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a magic trick? If you are on a computer, use google for this... (I use duck duck, but this is only a google thing)

Pick a number between 1 and 5000 and then add the phrase "new cases" without the quotes. Now you could be looking for new cases of beer, new cases of HIV, or anything else but here's the trick... I can give you the answer as to what the first result will pertain to. "Control the narrative and you control the people"...
Hi @Ssayer ,

Is it your contention that the powers that be are intentionally manipulating the search results for searches involving "new cases" in order to push a liberal agenda? That's pretty funny actually.

The whole world has been talking about COVID-19 for six months; "new cases" has in recent memory mostly been associated with coronavirus. So, the search algorithms will mostly return results based on coronavirus because that's what people are mostly interested in these days when they type "new cases." No devious plot required, just a sustained trend of association between that search term and COVID-19 topics.

You don't even need to put in a number. Just try "new cases" and all sorts of COVID-19 stuff pops up. There's no conspiracy, just an algorithm that reacts to common trends.

While no manipulation by google or people in general is needed to explain your results in "new cases," the algorithm can be manipulated. Remember way back in the day, when people were purposefully manipulating the algorithm so that a search for "miserable failure" would return George Bush as the result? It's called Google Bombing.

Any hot topic will cause this what conspiracy theorists might think is a devious plot. For example, if you type in "dropping in the polls" you get lots of stories about Trump's current slump, including believe it or not a FOX NEWS story about Republicans considering the possibility of Trump dropping out of the race, on any search engine like google or the Duck:

1593462939796.png

1593463053662.png

Must have been a slow news day for Fox yesterday for them to resort to writing that story to get viewers/readers back! :rofl:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting read.

One Texas hospital CEO stated that: He pointed out that his hospital one year ago was at 95% ICU capacity, similar to the numbers the hospital is seeing today. "...It is completely normal for us to have ICU capacities that run in the 80s and 90s..." and he noted that around 25% of ICU patients are COVID-19-positive.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Social media has become a sewer and largely an echo chamber.

Google and their various properties do clearly manipulate to push various agendas, by exclusion (censorship) and rankings.

* I agree the algos would logically focus on Covid right now as they are, not unlike social media, largely beholden to the echo chamber of what people search for.

I’ve been in the “business” since 1993

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Big news on the India vs CCP PRC China pandemic struggle:

NEW DELHI| BENGALURU: The government banned 59 Chinese mobile applications, including top social media platforms such as TikTok, Helo and WeChat, to counter the threat posed by these applications to the country’s “sovereignty and security,”
The govt said the applications are engaged in activities “prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order.” The ban has been imposed under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009, it said. The government also cited complaints about data on Indian users being transferred abroad without authorisation.

Here's the complete list of the apps banned:
1. TikTok
2. Shareit
3. Kwai
4. UC Browser
5. Baidu map
6. Shein
7. Clash of Kings
8. DU battery saver
9. Helo
10. Likee
11. YouCam makeup
12. Mi Community
13. CM Browers
14. Virus Cleaner
15. APUS Browser
16. ROMWE
17. Club Factory
18. Newsdog
19. Beutry Plus
20. WeChat
21. UC News
22. QQ Mail
23. Weibo
24. Xender
25. QQ Music
26. QQ Newsfeed
27. Bigo Live
28. SelfieCity
29. Mail Master
30. Parallel Space
31. Mi Video Call – Xiaomi
32. WeSync
33. ES File Explorer
34. Viva Video – QU Video Inc
35. Meitu
36. Vigo Video
37. New Video Status
38. DU Recorder
39. Vault- Hide
40. Cache Cleaner DU App studio
41. DU Cleaner
42. DU Browser
43. Hago Play With New Friends
44. Cam Scanner
45. Clean Master – Cheetah Mobile
46. Wonder Camera
47. Photo Wonder
48. QQ Player
49. We Meet
50. Sweet Selfie
51. Baidu Translate
52. Vmate
53. QQ International
54. QQ Security Center
55. QQ Launcher
56. U Video
57. V fly Status Video
58. Mobile Legends
59. DU Privacy

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/india-bans-59-chinese-apps-including-tiktok-helo-wechat/articleshow/76694814.cms

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
From a doctor I know on another forum (for the record: he's strongly Republican):

"Update; With over a week of GA hovering around and above 2K, it finally hit. GA overrun with patients. Huge numbers with large waits. Not overrun with admissions yet. Our local facility is deciding whether to move the tent operations indoors. The staff is tired of the heat. I had an AC tent but it failed to work for the last week. "

Fortunately most cases don't appear to require admission.