Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Check out the death rate in this chart even though the cases are going up due to expanded testing.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh Damn, we haven't even reached the peak yet and I thought we already passed the peak back in April. :facepalm: In April, the virus was just getting started. Now SH!T's got real. (pardon my colloquialism)

Check out the death rate in this chart even though the cases are going up due to expanded testing.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a few quick thoughts before I head out for a walk to fight the quarantine-fifteen I've packed on.

@Parley thanks for linking the covidusa.net site. I think I saw it long ago but it is much fuller now. About that site:

I find it alarmist and in my view it portrays a situation much worse than I believe to be the case. Their data isn't wrong (they apparently harvest from the same places everyone else does) but some of their projections seem way off.

My first beef with them is their comparison between the flu and COVID-19. They say COVID-19 is 34 times as deadly as the flu, but they are comparing the COVID-19 CASE fatality rate (CFR) to the longstanding flu fatality rate which is more or less an INFECTION fatality rate (IFR). While they state upfront that there are lots of asymptomatic or undiagnosed COVID cases, they don't factor this into the math because they probably goofed and don't understand the flu metrics which take some digging to get at. But, again, flu mortality rates are statistical estimates that are much more akin to infection fatality rates than to CFRs.

About yesterday's 271 deaths: remember it was a Sunday on a holiday weekend so lots of yesterday's deaths haven't hit the books. I prefer the seven day moving average deaths per day chart at worldometers; it shows we're in the 500's of deaths per day smoothed by 7 day rolling average. We've been coming down but I suspect a gradual uptick because a lot of the intermediate states like NC and MD have already stopped dropping from their highs and have stabilized at low numbers; with few states dropping in daily deaths, the rise from the GA/FL/TX/AZ cluster will likely become visible within a week and go up from there.

Anyway, back to it being alarmist: it suggests an estimate of 15,890 deaths in the next 7 days. Nope, not happening. We're at ~520/day or so right now, and it will slope up, but we're not going to average more than 2000 deaths per day over the next week. They are running a model that is projecting a mortality rate based on historical data through an algorithm that is grabbing the recent spike in cases per day and prematurely factoring them into deaths. It's well established that many of the early part of the spike were youthful and that cohort will have a very low death rate except in high risk groups like severely obese, immunocompromised, or "too stupid to live Alabama coronavirus partiers."

That youthful group will infect others and the reaper's a-comin', but not that quickly.

Its math about hospital ICU usage is way off; it says we run out of space tomorrow. Seriously. Things are getting worse for sure and some states are well into emergency plans, but as a country we're not out of beds (and the site's statistics are average for the country).

Any idea who runs the site? I'd say it was pushing an agenda from the extreme wing of the COVID-19 terror campaign team, but I'm at all those meetings and this isn't one of ours. ;)

Reaction score
OK.... this crosses over between COVID and Politics, but here it is. This state Senator & Doctor in Minnesota called out the Dept. of Health for a DIRECTIVE to attribute deaths to COVID improperly. He is now being politically targeted for speaking out. Maybe this should be over in the politics thread more than here.... but he makes specific medical claims in the video and provides a medical basis for defending himself against charges filed against his LICENSURE.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Dr. La Poop has an awful lot to say. C, this is BS. Was it not obvious that this virus was airborne to begin with? Droplets from one individual can travel up to 13 feet until it reaches the other individual (and this has been published in the journals). In enclosed environments, the air doesn't travel much. Its obvious that the virus can be transmitted indoors more easily compared to being outdoors. Academic Institutions need to reconsider their options for the upcoming semesters. There is so much inconsistency in how information is spread; much of the media and political pundits are still relying on the WHO to guide them through this mess

Here's Dr. La Poop's report,

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, I should add, there is no racial-divide in that picture, all I see are humans behaving foolishly in that picture, :rofl:

Kim doesn't care about America anymore; he knows that we all going to obliterate ourselves eventually; its only a matter of time. Hopefully we can all still poop through this mess. Apparently, Kim is unable to pee and poo #TheInterview

Oblivious

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Meanwhile, those taking precautions are going to shit themselves sooner or later

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Here we go, fear mongering again, all vaccines provide finite protection as new strains of the same virus come out overtime. Its just like the Seasonal Flu

Whats so ironic is how a new iPhone is marketed every year. The same can go with a new strain of the very same virus. :facepalm:

In a future Simpson's episode: "Let's put a new strain of the virus on the market so that people can suffer"
Drug maker's Motto | New Strain = New Vaccine = Maximizing Profit |

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Wish me luck folks. My family has entered the COVID-19 lottery. My wife, who works in a health care facility and returned to in-office work (instead of telecommuting) a few weeks ago, came down with flu symptoms (although no fever) on Monday. She got swabbed for COVID yesterday (Tuesday) but was told it may be up to a week before she has results due to insufficient testing capability.

How are we so many months into this thing and STILL can't get tests back in a day or two? I heard that Quest diagnostics reported today average of 4-6 day waits due to volume and scarce supplies.

In addition to the usual concerns about having COVID-19, our family vacation to visit my dad (who is nearing his end due to metastatic prostate cancer) is supposed to be at the end of next week, but if she's COVID-positive that trip goes down the tubes. UGGH! We visit him every year, and this was recognized as likely the last such family visit.

So, the whole family is on tenterhooks until we get the result back.

Reaction score
Daily deaths spiked to a 30 day high, though as a function of Daily new cases from 3 weeks prior, it is still significantly lower than the same ratios
seen in April and May.

1594251186176.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Wish me luck folks. My family has entered the COVID-19 lottery. My wife, who works in a health care facility and returned to in-office work (instead of telecommuting) a few weeks ago, came down with flu symptoms (although no fever) on Monday. She got swabbed for COVID yesterday (Tuesday) but was told it may be up to a week before she has results due to insufficient testing capability.

How are we so many months into this thing and STILL can't get tests back in a day or two? I heard that Quest diagnostics reported today average of 4-6 day waits due to volume and scarce supplies.

In addition to the usual concerns about having COVID-19, our family vacation to visit my dad (who is nearing his end due to metastatic prostate cancer) is supposed to be at the end of next week, but if she's COVID-positive that trip goes down the tubes. UGGH! We visit him every year, and this was recognized as likely the last such family visit.

Good luck man, and prayers for your Dad.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Please stay safe Frakenscript and keep us informed.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Good luck to your family. You seem to have been taking the right steps this whole time. Hopefully you have some built up good karma or something against the virus.

I agree, its messed up that we can't get testing done quickly.