Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I do understand. If they choose slow suicide through tobacco use, that's ok. Never mind the health burden cost etc placed on all of us. And we may as well legalize heroin and cocaine use too, it will be the users choice. With these drugs legal, we can tax them and still supply it too them at a much lower price. That should slow down the crimes like theft and burglary too. And don't forget the synthetic drugs also, it will be their choice again.
What a concept.
By the way 480,000 every year adds up to millions over the years too. Do you understand?
I''m not sure your what your point is.

I'm no fan of smoking; my mom smoked much of her life and died of lung cancer. My dad also smokes and is dying of cancer. I don't smoke or do any illicit drugs but the second hand smoke from my parents when I was young, despite them not generally smoking with me right nearby, means I'm at a higher cancer risk than baseline. I'm in favor of discouraging smoking by raising the taxes on it; I'm surprised marijuana has been legalized in many places but also glad that the bans on federal research into medicinal properties it may have are gradually abating. There are interesting chemicals in that plant for sure.

Still, smoking is something you mostly do to yourself. Mostly you can't do it in public.

The lockdowns (past, and likely future) aren't hurting the economy, they are saving it. If we hadn't locked down we would have well over a million dead by now. That's not good for the economy either. Our health system would have collapsed under the strain and people would have been dying at quite a clip not just due to COVID-19 but the hospitals by and large wouldn't have had space for heart attacks, childbirth, and so on. This has been analyzed "to death" and it's a pretty clear story.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Why can’t he answer a simple question with a simple answer like he did on other various activities?

This isn’t a hard question that requires paragraphs obfuscation,....
I thought he answered it well:

"You should stay away from crowds, no matter where the crowds are"

Admittedly this only answers part of the question. However, it was better than him saying:

"You should stay away from crowds, no matter where the crowds are, but I don't recommend you give power to your Orange Hitler to use the pandemic as an excuse to curtail first amendment rights."

He's more of a diplomat than I am. He has to be, working in that environment.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought he answered it well:

"You should stay away from crowds, no matter where the crowds are"

Admittedly this only answers part of the question. However, it was better than him saying:

"You should stay away from crowds, no matter where the crowds are, but I don't recommend you give power to your Orange Hitler to use the pandemic as an excuse to curtail first amendment rights."

He's more of a diplomat than I am. He has to be, working in that environment.

See there ya go again with the TDS... you cant seem to form a thought or paragraph without sticking your hatred of Trump into it. Not healthy, concerned about you...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If we hadn't locked down we would have well over a million dead by now.
If by "we" you mean USA, this statement presented as fact looks pretty absurd when no-lockdown Sweden is used as a comparison. According to John Hopkins data, the current USA morality rate per 100,000 people is 46.86, and Sweden's is 56.4 . Mortality Analyses With John Hopkins saying there are are 153,314 deaths and the USA population being about 330 million, the USA mortality rate checks out. (CDC says the number of deaths is 137,922, but I guess we have to put up with the experts disagreeing by ~10%).

Sweden's no-lockdown mortality rate is 20.36% higher than USA's. Based on that, if USA had followed Sweden's procedure, there would have been 184,529 deaths by now based on the higher John Hopkins death count.

What's your justification for that "over a million" claim?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See there ya go again with the TDS... you cant seem to form a thought or paragraph without sticking your hatred of Trump into it. Not healthy, concerned about you...
That’s because many of us are outraged by the President’s behavior Fish. Seriously...truly...honestly outraged. You gave me slack for mocking Herman Caine, and yet the President regularly engages in such outrageous behavior. You take my behavior to task but you excuse his behavior? The president is clearly an monumental asshole, and I’m calling bullshit on this vile fuck of a man; his conduct, his character, and his performance.

499B27B5-9727-497D-83FD-B9E6101038A8.png

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That’s because many of us are outraged by the President’s behavior Fish. Seriously...truly...honestly outraged. You gave me slack for mocking Herman Caine, and yet the President regularly engages in such outrageous behavior. You take my behavior to task but you excuse his behavior? The president is clearly an monumental asshole, and I’m calling bullshit on this vile fuck of a man; his conduct, his character, and his performance.
I'm not sure how "many of you" there are, but at least going off my local area, you definitely aren't the majority. I stopped at a place set up in a parking lot the other day that was selling Trump flags to buy a couple, and while I was there a truck honked his horn while driving by and giving a big thumbs up. I said "Ya'll get that a lot?" and he smiled real big and said "alllllllll day long". The funny part is that the people selling the flags were Mexicans. Because despite what the mainstream media and left will have you believe, there are a ton of Mexicans that are absolute supporters of Trump, AND support the wall. They came here legally, and don't see why others can't do the same if they want to be here.

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
By the way, I think many people may give Trump a pass because there's a difference between mocking a reporter with a disability, and mocking a reporter because of their disability. Trump mocks a lot of reporters. Most of whom aren't disabled. People know the media is biased, they know it's been taken over by the left. They know it's mostly "fake news". The media has done an excellent job at alienating itself from the American Public by trying to use tactics to control the public. Past that it's human nature. You have an organization that you feeds you lies and half truths, that discounts your ability to see past their BS and apparently thinks you are dumb enough to fall for it, and keeps on trying the same tactics over and over again, like this time it'll work. Because of that, yep, people love to see reporters being mocked.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Take a Deep Breath, and Breathe

I'll take a few Krusty Krab Patties to go with that as well :rofl:

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By the way, I think many people may give Trump a pass because there's a difference between mocking a reporter with a disability, and mocking a reporter because of their disability. Trump mocks a lot of reporters. Most of whom aren't disabled. People know the media is biased, they know it's been taken over by the left. They know it's mostly "fake news". The media has done an excellent job at alienating itself from the American Public by trying to use tactics to control the public. Past that it's human nature. You have an organization that you feeds you lies and half truths, that discounts your ability to see past their BS and apparently thinks you are dumb enough to fall for it, and keeps on trying the same tactics over and over again, like this time it'll work. Because of that, yep, people love to see reporters being mocked.
Just think if Trump loses the up coming election. There will not be anymore news media, because there will be nothing to bitch about. They need Trump to win so they do not lose any revenue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I'd be quick to think Trump would only lose because of election fraud on a massive scale, but I live in Oklahoma, probably the reddest state in the nation. Obviously I'm going to see way more trump supporters than I'll see demoncrats. My time spent in other states is with those tied into the oilfield industry, and specifically pipeline, so again, I'm really only going to see Trump supporters. I suppose it could be the opposite in some places, particularly large cities. Thankfully the founders of this Nation knew their history and what could (would) eventually happen, and created the electoral college. giving my state a say right along with those massive population centers.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
See...its not just our country, but others as well. At the end of this battle, if things go the way they are, COVID-19 WILL WIN. COVID-20 will ensue ;)

After this is all over, this will be the next thing to be concerned about ;)

Last edited: