Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as the Flu goes, from the CDC Website

For 2020-2021, trivalent (three-component) egg-based vaccines are recommended to contain:
  • A/Guangdong-Maonan/SWL1536/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated)
  • A/Hong Kong/2671/2019 (H3N2)-like virus (updated)
  • B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus (updated)
Quadrivalent (four-component) egg-based vaccines, which protect against a second lineage of B viruses, are recommended to contain:
  • the three recommended viruses above, plus B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (Yamagata lineage) virus.
For 2020-2021, cell- or recombinant-based vaccines are recommended to contain:
  • A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated)
  • A/Hong Kong/45/2019 (H3N2)-like virus (updated)
  • B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus (updated)
  • B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (Yamagata lineage) virus

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put too much faith in a CBS poll ;) Just a few notches higher than a CNN poll. +|- 50% accuracy

I and most of my conservative friends don’t feel it “acceptable” but I think there is a feeling of it being “manageable” , there’s a difference.

Think back to the beginning when it was estimated 1-2 million dead in short order. Apocalypse stuff. It ain’t that, but I don’t want to get it and I sure don’t want to pass it to a loved one.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The Impact of COVID-19 on New York City once America's greatest Metropolis, is now dwindling

"Soon the Chinese will own NYC. They are buying up everything they can, and of course America is For Sale. " - YouTube User

Another one,

"The city that never sleeps just went into a coma." - YouTube User

This author ripples throughout,

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put too much faith in a CBS poll ;) Just a few notches higher than a CNN poll. +|- 50% accuracy

I and most of my conservative friends don’t feel it “acceptable” but I think there is a feeling of it being “manageable” , there’s a difference.

Think back to the beginning when it was estimated 1-2 million dead in short order. Apocalypse stuff. It ain’t that, but I don’t want to get it and I sure don’t want to pass it to a loved one.
I agree it's a crappy poll designed to generate an outrageous result. That said, how anyone can say our results as a nation are acceptable is beyond me. But repubs are going to line up behind the administration and the dems will be quick to bash it. It's just the way it is.

A better poll would be to ask where they feel we (US) are based on two criteria: deaths so far per million population, and new deaths per day for the last week or whatever, per 1 M population. Screen to say only countries bigger than say 50M people. We would be like 3rd I think for total deaths and probably first or second for recent deaths/week. Then ask them if they are ok with that. Anyone that says yes is a partisan hack.

Meanwhile: the reason I asked about would you take the vaccine, was there was a poll someone on another forum mentioned that said 1/3 of Americans said they woudn't go for the vaccine when available. That led to discussions about some states talking about vaccine mandates. Was just curious to see what the group here thought about taking the vaccine once it's ready.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Impact of COVID-19 on New York City once America's greatest Metropolis, is now dwindling

"Soon the Chinese will own NYC. They are buying up everything they can, and of course America is For Sale. " - YouTube User

Another one,

"The city that never sleeps just went into a coma." - YouTube User

This author ripples throughout,

FYI - I really like this channel for giving me a good small business perspective on NYC:

Louis Rossmann
Apple repair shop..

Here's the most recent one I watched...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting how he claims that real estate prices are rising. I think appreciation will continue in the city but at a much slower rate. Whereas in the surrounding suburbs the prices have skyrocketed due to increased demand. Even in upstate New York people are buying land and building new homes from scratch. People have second properties in the Hampton's and Upstate New York

FYI - I really like this channel for giving me a good small business perspective on NYC:

Louis Rossmann
Apple repair shop..

Here's the most recent one I watched...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting how he claims that real estate prices are rising. I think appreciation will continue in the city but at a much slower rate. Whereas in the surrounding suburbs the prices have skyrocketed due to increased demand. Even in upstate New York people are buying land and building new homes from scratch. People have second properties in the Hampton's and Upstate New York
Louis Rossman covers a lot on NY real estate - as he was looking for a place for his new shop...

Lots going on.. from Apartments dropping to 1/2 price.. from $21 Million to $10.5 Million.. and the flight out of NY to more affordable states.

My guess is that many expensive States will be challenged to recover.. more affordable States will do well.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I always knew Louis for his work on Apple computers :p

Louis Rossman covers a lot on NY real estate - as he was looking for a place for his new shop...

Lots going on.. from Apartments dropping to 1/2 price.. from $21 Million to $10.5 Million.. and the flight out of NY to more affordable states.

My guess is that many expensive States will be challenged to recover.. more affordable States will do well.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
kind of late to the vaccine question.

Normally i would be all about getting the vaccine, but in this instance i intend on waiting. the speed in which they are rushing to create a vaccine, and to be the "first" to release one" has me worried. Also i wouldn't put it past the president to pressure the FDA to approve a vaccine early, even if it has gaping flaws, just to be able to take credit for it heading into the election and hopefully get a bump in the economy. Politicians will ultimately do what is in their own best interests.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll wait it out too. They can't even get a reliable test for it after 6 months. If I had more confidence in the medical experts' knowledge on the virus, then maybe. Not politics, just too much back and forth with facts, stats, etc.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
No way would I sign up for a pre-election released vaccine. I would be very surprised to see one released prior to the election. I think adequate checks and balances exist to prevent presidential tampering with trial/release of a vaccine, unlike in Russia apparently.

I agree this president (or any sitting president to be fair, not just DJT) would play up positive vaccine news prior to the election. But rosy stements about trial progress and deployment of actual vaccine doses are different things.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
So much arguing over comparing productivity levels of workers in an actual workplace versus working from home. If there is one thing for certain is that if everyone starts working from home creativity will stall.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
After the pandemic and humans self-destruct themselves
"Imagine if this was the only piece of evidence that humans existed" - YouTube User