Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, according to the NY Slime I'm 23 million behind on the list, too. 72 years old with pre-existing conditions. In NJ I'm about 620,000 behind. Gotta wonder about their math and model to arrive at these numbers, but that's just me as a skeptical, cynical, old, observer.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
For the moment I'm claiming the prize at 118.5 million! 72 with no underlying conditions.

What's tweaking me now is all the knee-jerk immunization requirements. First, Quantas saying it will require proof of immunization to fly, then there's a story today about a Greece court decision saying it's legal for a kindergarten to refuse kids without proof of immunization. All over a vaccine that hasn't been deployed yet with unknown big-picture efficacy and side effects. I think the people who make these decisions without real world information are extraordinarily stupid (or bought-off, or politically pressured?).

If hypothetically something is horribly wrong with the vaccine, my understanding is that the vaccine makes are immune from lawsuits. But how about somebody like Quantas or a school who pressures somebody into taking the vaccine? Could they get destroyed in a lawsuit?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish ,

I'm in favor of reporting the CT score as long as it comes with rationale guidance, to allow for appropriate and consistent interpretation and action. I have not researched this beyond reading what you posted, which is just an overview. Presumably further guidance exists for doctors in FL as well as the public.

So, let's say you are non-symptomatic and as routine screening go for a COVID-19 PCR test, say before getting on an airplane in a situation where this is required, or attending in-person events that require pre-testing. The test comes back positive with a Ct score of 36. What action does this mean the patient needs to take?

First of all, a score of 36 is a CASE. They were infected with the virus at some point. It should be recorded as such.

Now, the problem is a score of 36 can mean any of several things:

1. Maybe they had an asymptomatic case, now past, and this is just the residue of that past infection not yet cleared out.
2. Maybe they just recently caught COVID-19 and are in the process of getting sick, and will be potentially highly infectious in a few days
3. Maybe they are currently an asymptomatic potential spreader and the sample swab just didn't get a good sample (a range of 3 Ct points can easily occur based on how the patient presents and how the sampling is done, for any given actual viral load)

So, how is Florida advising people to turn the CT value into action?

The concern of many doctors I've talked to is that there will either be inconsistent state-to-state (or even county to county) guidance about what to do, or in the absence of firm guidance, people will make up their own ideas. "I read somewhere that anything more than 30 is just remnants... I can go to (insert spreader-event-to-be-here)... it's fine."

Hopefully the guidance is something along the lines of "any positive value should result in quarantine and retesting until a negative value comes back from retesting; values of 35 or lower indicate extreme hazard of spreading infection."

Also, in many states (like mine) if you not hospitalized or part of a company that is paying for screening, getting a PCR test with a quick turnaround is VERY DIFFICULT. So, someone with an upper thirties value who retest a few days later is realistically going to be waiting a week or more for that next test result anyway.

I'm really concerned people will start self-interpreting high values as "I'm not a threat to anyone" when very often that is an incorrect conclusion.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve yet to hear anything validating your supposition #2. Are you certain there’s even a possibility this can be the case?

The annointed Dr Fauci said himself anything over 35 is remnants.

Plus you’re making my argument that the “science” is anything but certain and that the whole “case” metric is at best, a guess

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
During the course of a typical infection, CT scores go from undetectable (for most places, this means beyond the 40 cycle threshold since most testing places stop at 40), through a high CT value, and eventually to a low CT value when the person is fully in the throes of the thing. It's not a controversial point.

But again, what will Florida advise people to do with any given CT score? I'm really curious, since they are breaking ground by requiring it be provided. They have an opportunity to perhaps redeem themselves for the summer of death caused by opening up too much too fast.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You mean Dr Fauci lied?

The scores are for the State Dept of Health... not the average naive idiot getting a test

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2020... what a year...

Florida agents raid home of ousted COVID-19 data curator

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My head is hurting from the stupidity of the liberal politicians. Or is there something I just don't understand? From a Breitbart article:

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said Monday on CNN’s “The Situation Room” that African-Americans will have more confidence in the safety of a coronavirus vaccine under the administration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
She added, “I do believe once there is a transition of power, there will be more trust in Biden-Harris administration. And I think that will go a long way giving people confidence that this vaccine will be safe.”
Blitzer said, “I suspect you’re right.”

Isn't the vaccine finished? Shouldn't Blitzer have asked what difference it makes who is president when it's the same dang identical vaccine either way?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
My head is hurting from the stupidity of the liberal politicians. Or is there something I just don't understand? From a Breitbart article:

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said Monday on CNN’s “The Situation Room” that African-Americans will have more confidence in the safety of a coronavirus vaccine under the administration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
She added, “I do believe once there is a transition of power, there will be more trust in Biden-Harris administration. And I think that will go a long way giving people confidence that this vaccine will be safe.”
Blitzer said, “I suspect you’re right.”

Isn't the vaccine finished? Shouldn't Blitzer have asked what difference it makes who is president when it's the same dang identical vaccine either way?
Trump pushed very hard to force a vaccine approval announcement before the election, which would have meant not waiting for safety data. Over and over again Trump was told this was unlikely. Yet he persisted in trying to tie an announcement date to be before the election. In fact the FDA was so pressured they had to use extraordinary means to make clear the process was not going to be politically driven.

Now, I know the vaccine isn't politically rushed, and probably you know it too, but a lot of folks still fear maybe Trump and his minions did something along the way to rush the process.

Having Biden's team look over everything and bless the vaccine will go a long way toward restoring the trust in the vaccine that Trump eroded by trying to tie vaccine and his election bid together.

(And for the record, filing for an EUA isn't rushing the process... People don't always understand these things)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting article on next step for vaccine:

(Edit: I originally posted the wrong article. This should now be corrected)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited: