Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - the details coming out..

Saagar Enjeti REVEALS The Full CNN, MSNBC Coverup For Cuomo Nursing Home Scandal

Saagar Enjeti explains how the media's coverage of Gov. Andrew Cuomo throughout the past year allowed him to get away with damaging COVID policies and sexual harassment allegations.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - the details coming out..

Saagar Enjeti REVEALS The Full CNN, MSNBC Coverup For Cuomo Nursing Home Scandal

Saagar Enjeti explains how the media's coverage of Gov. Andrew Cuomo throughout the past year allowed him to get away with damaging COVID policies and sexual harassment allegations.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Numerous scientific studies coming out on the effectiveness of masks.

So far, the data looks good that Masks are one aspect of helping to reduce the R value.

Remember the new variations of SARS-CoV-2 are more transmissible, and thus the math is not a simple linear messure.

1615241115459.png

Conclusion

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce ReRe to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained. Economic analysis suggests that mask wearing mandates could add 1 trillion dollars to the US GDP (32, 34).

Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high (39). We recommend that mask use requirements are implemented by governments, or, when governments do not, by organizations that provide public-facing services. Such mandates must be accompanied by measures to ensure access to masks, possibly including distribution and rationing mechanisms so that they do not become discriminatory. Given the value of the source control principle, especially for presymptomatic people, it is not sufficient for only employees to wear masks; customers must wear masks as well.

It is also important for health authorities to provide clear guidelines for the production, use, and sanitization or reuse of face masks, and consider their distribution as shortages allow. Clear and implementable guidelines can help increase compliance, and bring communities closer to the goal of reducing and ultimately stopping the spread of COVID-19.

When used in conjunction with widespread testing, contact tracing, quarantining of anyone that may be infected, hand washing, and physical distancing, face masks are a valuable tool to reduce community transmission. All of these measures, through their effect on ReRe, have the potential to reduce the number of infections. As governments exit lockdowns, keeping transmissions low enough to preserve health care capacity will be critical until a vaccine can be developed.

ref:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Numerous scientific studies coming out on the effectiveness of masks.

So far, the data looks good that Masks are one aspect of helping to reduce the R value.

Remember the new variations of SARS-CoV-2 are more transmissible, and thus the math is not a simple linear messure.

View attachment 84231

Conclusion

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce ReRe to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained. Economic analysis suggests that mask wearing mandates could add 1 trillion dollars to the US GDP (32, 34).

Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high (39). We recommend that mask use requirements are implemented by governments, or, when governments do not, by organizations that provide public-facing services. Such mandates must be accompanied by measures to ensure access to masks, possibly including distribution and rationing mechanisms so that they do not become discriminatory. Given the value of the source control principle, especially for presymptomatic people, it is not sufficient for only employees to wear masks; customers must wear masks as well.

It is also important for health authorities to provide clear guidelines for the production, use, and sanitization or reuse of face masks, and consider their distribution as shortages allow. Clear and implementable guidelines can help increase compliance, and bring communities closer to the goal of reducing and ultimately stopping the spread of COVID-19.

When used in conjunction with widespread testing, contact tracing, quarantining of anyone that may be infected, hand washing, and physical distancing, face masks are a valuable tool to reduce community transmission. All of these measures, through their effect on ReRe, have the potential to reduce the number of infections. As governments exit lockdowns, keeping transmissions low enough to preserve health care capacity will be critical until a vaccine can be developed.

ref:
Efficacy, word of the day, I had to go look it up :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More good data coming out, some studies are still small sample size, for example this one published in Nature

1615244106388.png

Ref:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im sure there are some smart people doing honest work on the subject, however it seems you can find the "science" will tell you whatever the authors want it to.

I assume the studies cited are referring to N95 masks? which few wear..

Why does CDC say "an average 1.32% decrease in the growth rates of COVID-19 cases and deaths during the first 100 days after the mask policy was implemented. "

And really, are we to believe common pneumonia went from tens of millions of cases to zero?

My whole point is that between Fauci and the CDC, and real life data like the comparison between California and Florida, I’m leaning more towards believing common sense and less “the science”

I do believe you should stay away from being in enclosed spaces or group hugging people with colds. I do believe if I sneeze on you from 2ft you’d be more inclined to catch something and better off with a mask on.

I also believe the old and those with “co-morbidities” are at greater risk just like with other viral diseases.

I don’t believe a mask helps me a bit pumping gas at the local Chevron.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im sure there are some smart people doing honest work on the subject, however it seems you can find the "science" will tell you whatever the authors want it to.

I assume the studies cited are referring to N95 masks? which few wear..

Why does CDC say "an average 1.32% decrease in the growth rates of COVID-19 cases and deaths during the first 100 days after the mask policy was implemented. "

And really, are we to believe common pneumonia went from tens of millions of cases to zero?

My whole point is that between Fauci and the CDC, and real life data like the comparison between California and Florida, I’m leaning more towards believing common sense and less “the science”
Hi @bigredfish

1) N95.. some studies include those, others N95 and Surgical, others other masks, including the cloth masks...

2) CDC .. I no longer pay attention to them.. they're not reliable on this topic to me, I go to those which I have learned are more current with the topic. So I really do not care to take the time to even attempt to support the CDC statements. ( CDC was wrong on Masks 1 year ago, wrong on Ivermectin now, not telling people "get vitamin-D", ... so my trust is gone on the CDC, US Governments, State Governments, MSM, .. )

3) Remember SARS-CoV-2 infection rates if you do nothing are parabolic, not linear - and thus most people are unable to fully appreciate it. ( Peak Prosperity covered this 1 year ago )

4) Judging by what I have personally seen.. a significant amount of people DO NOT wear masks properly.

5) How much movement can you make in a canoe paddling upstream? Now how much movement can you make in a shitty canoe and using a shitty paddle while your drunk buddies in the back of the canoe are dragging their feet in the water and puking over the side here and there....

yup.. it's like that in the USA.

Just look at the thread here... how many of us here are anti-mask?

It's really hard to move that canoe upstream...

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our deaths per million arent that far out of whack to other countires though.

For the record I wear the mask when I plan on going to an enclosed space with other people. Otherwise I dont.

I'm mostly anti-bullshit, not anti-mask per se ;)
Tiawan:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple of observations

1- Not a single Asian country in the top 30-35 as to cases or deaths per million even though almost 2/3 of the worlds population is Asian. I discount Asia.
"Why?" would be a good question a few years down the road when the dust settles...
Like most of Asia there are also serious issues with the Tiawan numbers.
23,000,000 people or the size of Florida, yet only 177,000 tested, only 900 "cases". If you dont test, the "cases number goes wayyy down

2- US is in but not on top of the deaths per million list. Most of the top 35-50 are are western European/Western countries
Coronavirus Update (Live): 117,727,200 Cases and 2,611,230 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't say that I am anti-mask, I know humans were never designed to wear mask all the time, so this is how I approach it, I wear them around people in public but if I am mowing my lawn, well you know the answer...

This just don't make sense to me:

1615247810938.png

Maybe the mask helps keep him warm...

Reaction score
Same here, sort of. I didn't feel either of the shots. Nothing. Damn they were good at giving them. However, both of my arms felt like a nail gun had hit them the next day. Lasted for about 4 days each. But that was it. Nothing else.
I got my first shot last Thursday. Barely felt the shot. My shoulder hurt a little the next two days, but only if I moved it. That is how I always react to my yearly flu shot.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of observations

1- Not a single Asian country in the top 30-35 as to cases or deaths per million even though almost 2/3 of the worlds population is Asian. I discount Asia. "Why?" would be a good question a few years down the road.
Like most of Asia there are also serious issues with the Tiawan numbers.
23,000,000 people or the size of Florida, yet only 177,000 tested, only 900 "cases". If you dont test, the "cases number goes wayyy down

2- US is in but not on top of the deaths per million list. Most of the top 35-50 are are western European/Western countries
Coronavirus Update (Live): 117,727,200 Cases and 2,611,230 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer
Lots of imperfect data on Covid-19 when I was looking.

Example - elderly most likely to die, so if you have an oversized elderly population ( like most EU countries ) the death numbers per capita are significantly higher.
( I'd like to easily compare the different age groups with each other.. example deaths of 40-50 per capita from one nation to the next.. )

Also, if you have people living close to each other and multigenerational house holds, then younger people bring the Corona into the homes, and the elderly often are the ones dying.
( so having a way to measure this would be useful.. )

It can be a challenge to really see what variables are behind the data.

What I can see clearly is that we know now well enough how to handle this situation, but no political people in the USA are willing to step up and clearly state what works.

What I see works:
1) Usual social distancing and PPE helps reduce R value
2) Vitamin-D levels help
3) Ivermectin helps
4) Vaccines knocks out a home run.

Reaction score
I thought the 'conventional wisdom' was you wear a mask if you can't maintain at least 6 feet of separation from others. I see no reason to wear one outdoors with the wind blowing and you are not near people. If I go to the store, I put mine on at the car and take it off when I get back to my car. When we go to a restaurant, we put it on at the car and take it off at the table. Put it back on when we get up and take it off at the car. I don't wear one walking to the mailbox. Why would I? I am outside and no one is around.

Yes the virus is smaller than the mask weaving. But the virus is not zooming around on it's own, like it has wings. It is contained in respiratory fluid/droplets. They are basically bigger than the mask weave and the mask can trap some/most/all(?) of those droplets. Will a mask totally protect you? I doubt it. But it will lessen the probability of you getting enough virus to get sick. To me, that is key. One needs to get a lot of virus to become infected. Coming in contact with just one of those little buggers is not going to get you infected.

I read a story the other day that said stop wiping down things you bring home from the store. Remember when they said anything you bring into your home must be wiped down with disinfectant? Take off your shoes at the door and disinfect them? That article stated that transmission from touching things has been proven to be nonexistent. But they still say 'wash your hands'.