Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Representative Tom Cotton, R-TX, said in an interview this morning that the whole "originated in a food market" story is false. It may have spread from that market, but it did not originate there and infections started earlier than December, 2019.. It's also interesting to note that there i a large biomedical research lab relatively close to that market. I know that gets into the "conspiracy theory" arena, but facts are facts.
My feeling about this are: it’s not important at this point of time. Yes, I think there is a very high probability that it was released from that said lab. Does not serve any purpose. It can be investigated at a later time. There are more important issues at hand, Instead, need to focus on the spread virus, strategies for containment. As it looks now, things are starting to go bad. We need to be honest, and start discussing worst case scenario. How and what we can do to reduce the morbidity/mortality of this illness. The more the public knows, less chance to civil unrest. Trying to suppress/spin this crisis is only going to make things worse. I was disappointed when Trump stated that the Virus will run it’s course in April, when the weather gets warmer.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
And the first case in the USA, in Everett (30 minutes N of Seattle), the man recovered and been released from the hospital.
Tthey did a good job keeping his identity under wraps. When released, he was "stealthily spirited away", said the newspaper.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The source is kind of critical, or at the very least, important in terms of developing an effective vaccine. IF it was engineered in a lab how that was done will provide a much more detailed view of how to defeat it.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time believing any of these news reports. For instance, an AP story mentions about an Oregon couple:
"The Oregon couple is among the 380 Americans aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship"
And a bit further down:
"Despite spending several days this week under close supervision at a Tokyo hospital, Rebecca Frasure continues to test positive for virus, now called COVID-19, and must remain there"

So the SAME STORY says one specific person is on the ship, and also not on the ship.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
2 or 3 more stories on the same thing now circulating, different researchers and one local doctor sources. I thinks it’s fair to say the biggest quarantine in the history of the world was not precipitated by someone eating bat soup from a fish market... I mean really, say that out loud a few times....

Did coronavirus originate in Chinese government laboratory?

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to a republican about an issue related to science is akin to listening to a blind person about issues of color matching.
You really shouldn't say stuff like that here brother...it only starts ugly shit. Better you post that kinda stuff where it is expected to be posted, and not here on an IP camera forum.

chuck-norris.jpg

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You really shouldn't say stuff like that here brother...it only starts ugly shit. Better you post that kinda stuff where it is expected to be posted, and not here on an IP camera forum.
I deleted it.. but the fact remains that these politicians say some colossally stupid things sometimes.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing we all can trust are our IP Cameras :rofl:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
True, we can be overanalyzing the situation especially when we witness disorderly conduct, when kids fist fight each other after school --> it could just be the way kids play these days

Interpreting what we see is when the problems start.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, we can be overanalyzing the situation especially when we witness disorderly conduct, when kids fist fight each other after school --> it could just be the way kids play these days
I wasn't referring to IP cameras.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, I took it literally then :D

Looks like based on what you were saying is that everyone's perception can be different and when its all perceived the same way then the problem can be mitigated and resolved

Hard to say if all organizations in the world of public health currently agree on the same level, there has to be a degree of rationale and acceptance to the extent of the problem. The number of Coronavirus cases already far exceeds the number of SARS cases

I wasn't referring to IP cameras.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The source is kind of critical, or at the very least, important in terms of developing an effective vaccine. IF it was engineered in a lab how that was done will provide a much more detailed view of how to defeat it.
If it originated in a lab there will already be a vaccine. No-one is going to develop a germ agent that they can't protect their own forces against given the way these germs spread around the world. That's probably one reason why no-one has ever used a modern deadly germ warfare agent - those that are truly deadly and without cure are like nuclear weapons. Release one and you ensure your own destruction not only that of your enemy.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That may be true, but sometimes the horse gets ahead of the cart. Given the track record of the Chinese, who knows for sure?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another "good" sign...two people were diagnosed with Covid-19 on arrival at an airport in Hawaii. The flight originated, domestically, in the US. The airline is in the process of "contacting" the passengers. A little late, since everyone has de-planed and been in contact with, probably, hundreds or thousands since getting off the plane.