Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Another "good" sign...two people were diagnosed with Covid-19 on arrival at an airport in Hawaii. The flight originated, domestically, in the US. The airline is in the process of "contacting" the passengers. A little late, since everyone has de-planed and been in contact with, probably, hundreds or thousands since getting off the plane.
Better late than never. The people on the flight are at risk of coming down with it, but it will be days or longer between their initial exposure and them being infectious to others, if they do get it at all. There is so much media frenzy about the transmission, but it is not instantaneous.

So warning passengers and crew of the flight to take precautions is very useful.

What is unclear is what is a reasonable set of precautions in a case like this? Ship everybody off to quarantine? Suggest self-imposed home detention? Daily monitoring by health professionals while going about mostly normal days while minimizing contact with others?

Hopefully a reasonable play book will emerge that blends effectiveness with pragmatism.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Better late than never. The people on the flight are at risk of coming down with it, but it will be days or longer between their initial exposure and them being infectious to others, if they do get it at all. There is so much media frenzy about the transmission, but it is not instantaneous.

So warning passengers and crew of the flight to take precautions is very useful.

What is unclear is what is a reasonable set of precautions in a case like this? Ship everybody off to quarantine? Suggest self-imposed home detention? Daily monitoring by health professionals while going about mostly normal days while minimizing contact with others?

Hopefully a reasonable play book will emerge that blends effectiveness with pragmatism.

This is probably a good start for people who start to show symptoms

The flu
Caring for someone sick at home
Will you know what to do if someone
in your house gets the flu?

Read this booklet to learn how to care for someone with
influenza (the flu).
For more information
www.cdc.gov/flu or www.flu.gov

( of course we need to probably escalate some of this prevention to a higher level.. do some sort of home quarantine and isolation - hopefully people have multiple bathrooms to allocate one for the patient )

5 steps to take if you get the flu
  1. Stay at home and rest.
  2. Avoid close contact with well people in your house so you won’t make them sick.
  3. Drink plenty of water and other clear liquids to prevent fluid loss (dehydration).
  4. Treat fever and cough with medicines you can buy at the store.
  5. If you get very sick or are pregnant or have a medical condition that puts you at higher risk of flu complications (like asthma...), call your doctor

Probably a very good idea to get a flu shot so you have a better chance to reduce false positives from flus covered by the shot.

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
The virus has been completely sequenced and doesn't seem to appear to be a biological warfare or other Gene edited virus, it really appears to be something that has arisen from zoonosis. this comes from a variety of reputable sources both inside the government and out.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is getting out of control. Last couple of days I haven't been feeling well and came to the conclusion today that I have the Seasonal Flu :banghead:

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is getting out of control. Last couple of days I haven't been feeling well and came to the conclusion today that I have the Seasonal Flu :banghead:
Wife has had a persistent cough at night so she finally went to the doctor's office today.. First thing they did was make her sign a form stating she hasn't been to China.. No Joking.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing they did was make her sign a form stating she hasn't been to China.. No Joking.
This from a guy who buries cosmolined guns in his back yard. :)

Seriously though, clinics are doing that here too brother. It seems stupid but if you want to maintain absolute vigilance it‘s not such a bad idea.

What I’m wondering is if that if China makes 50% of all N95 masks produced in the world, where is America going to get N95 masks if things get bad.

Scott Ritchey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If this breaks out in some of the homeless encampments in US sanctuary cities it will become a serious problem. Otherwise, I think most of the US is in reasonably good shape. The draconian measures taken by the Chinese government indicate things there may be worse than we are told. Back in the day (before inoculations for everything) we had procedures (mainly quarantine and sanitation) for dealing with infectious disease; may need to revisit those if things get bad.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't understand the reference between the stored weapons and wife at the doctor.... I sense you're making a joke via some comparison but I'm not catching it.

Seriously though, clinics are doing that here too brother. It seems stupid but if you want to maintain absolute vigilance it‘s not such a bad idea.

What I’m wondering is if that if China makes 50% of all N95 masks produced in the world, where is America going to get N95 masks if things get bad.
If things get bad in China and supplies run short, it will teach the world a lesson not to allow all your eggs to come from one chicken coop..err. basket.

I bought my N95 masks when the infected totals were still under 5000 or so. Truth be told, I didn't buy them in some paranoid society-ending panic... They, along with Nitrile gloves and some other PPE stuff, have been on my "to do" list for quite a while. Just a good excuse to get it done.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Yeah would you really want to be putting a mask made in a Chinese factory by potentially infected workers on your mouth and face?

The folly of making goods in China has long been exposed (going slightly off topic) - China's military growth is being funded by the manufacturing money it's pulling in from around the world. The source is the greed of Western companies for more profit through cheaper labour than at home, and the cost is we're now funding our own destruction both in a potential military conflict with a nuclear armed nation, and in our extermination through contaminated PPE IF the virus can live outside of the body for sufficient time on masking materials.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no reason to believe the virus remains contagious on surfaces like masks for the amount of time needed to be an issue as they work through the supply chain, and many reasons to believe they would no longer be viable. Studies are underway to determine longevity but indications are hours or days not weeks and months. Anything you bought in January off Amazon or Walmart was manufactured long before the virus spread anyway.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I was at the Emergency Department last night. In addition to my previous chief complaint, the attending physician diagnosed me with Acute Bronchitis (Viral). I had to pick up multiple medications at the pharmacy :banghead:
My throat feels like complete crap at this point accompanied with chills, headache, fever, and congestion.

Wife has had a persistent cough at night so she finally went to the doctor's office today.. First thing they did was make her sign a form stating she hasn't been to China.. No Joking.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that's getting to be pretty routine, Q. I went for a regular physical, last week, and had the same thing happen. Signs posted at the reception desk as well asking about visits to China.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

I was in Home Depot the other week to pick up a mask because I was going up in the attic to do some cat6 runs. The mask section was COMPLETELY cleared out except for three boxes of the 3M Cool Flow N95 masks. I think the only reason why they were still on the shelf is because they were 15-packs that cost $35 a box. All the cheap chit was gone, gone, gone.

Last edited: