Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I do think perspective is important. So far under 100,000 known infected worldwide. Just over 3,000 deaths worldwide. Even if we speculate double the number of infected, and double the number of potential deaths, the flu is worse here in the US alone. At the same time, the potential for far worse is great so I'm being, shall we say, prudent with preparations...just in case.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do think perspective is important. So far under 100,000 known infected worldwide. Just over 3,000 deaths worldwide. Even if we speculate double the number of infected, and double the number of potential deaths, the flu is worse here in the US alone. At the same time, the potential for far worse is great so I'm being, shall we say, prudent with preparations...just in case.
Remember to also calculate the % which require hospitalization - a significant issue as most hospitals have very limited ICU / containment / isolation capacity.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...it's the fervent and urgent prayer of all men of good will that it never shall happen...
My football coach always said "football is a character builder." BULLSHIT. Football is a character REVEALER.

And what we are about to witness may reveal much.
Mark Twain said:
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.”

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

I keep seeing fuzzy math. Agree with these probably double. That works out to closer to 3% mortality rate than the flu which is .1% (note the decimal point)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I wasn't talking mortality rate per disease, just the raw numbers. Heck, car accidents kill more people that this has, so far. Certainly if it spreads uncontrollably it is a whole different scenario. There are signs of spread and that isn't a good sign to say the least. Since it's new and treatments, medications and vaccines aren't available mortality rate will be higher but should, hopefully, drop as that situation improves. The time lag is the killer, literally.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, once upon a time when I startted out in the professional world I was a Biomedical Engineer, instrument R/D for mapping the Human Genome. The researchers, clinics, universities, pharma, hospital labs were my customers. I have kept in touch with most and from what we/they definately are is dissapointed with how this has been handled.
Here are some items to research for yourselves and make conclusions.

1. I have attached a research paper that was suddenly pulled from a research website titled Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag.
a. It was pulled from the research site 2 weeks later
b. Immediately after it was pulled they started treating with hiv drugs, Doctors fight coronavirus outbreak with drugs that target HIV, malaria and Ebola

2. This research paper amongst other info that has been posted has been poo pood. Here is a news site that is covering it and will provide more details, Coronavirus Contains "HIV Insertions", Stoking Fears Over Artificially Created Bioweapon

3. The first original predictive model by JM Read. He is the guy the CDC and WHO goes to to predict how bad and fast this virus will progress. So far his figures are accurate. Which was done jan 25. It is the second attachment.

4. Here is a website by John Hopkins University that is tracking the Wuhoo chiken flu coronavirus live. Its a tracking map in near real time. Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

5. China has not been forthcoming with correct or current info, here is a link to one of the doctors losing it as he has not enough support....https://youtu.be/W-omAWWCjaI. There are videos of the dead lining the hallways.

6. China Coronavirus cause of deaths have been mis reported as Viral Pneumonia NOT from the CoronaVirus.

7. The Chinese Doctor who blew the wistle and went public has died from this virus. Li Wenliang, MD, If anyone in the history of the world wants to know what a Real Life Superhero looks like? Look no further.

8. If non of this is convincing then consider these facts.
a. Chinas Class 4 Virus facilities (Bioweapon) are headquarted in Wuhan.
b. When was the last time anyone has seen countries quarantine huge cities, borders and entire countries with military?
c. Why are all the healthcare workers in self contained biohazard suits if its not dangerous?
e. Since the virus is not dangerous and is not spreading then why did all the airlines stop flying to infected countries?
f. Why are schools closing for "Deep Cleaning"?
G. No Trains, planes or Autos?
H. Why are they quaratining people who have just been exposed and showing no symptoms at military bases?
I. Why the need for a 25k sq foot hospital built in less than a week is needed? How can China build a hospital so quickly?

All this hub bub for a non dangerous virus as we have all been led to believe? Seems a lot of governments are going to extreme lengths over a little flu virus? Remember, our governments are here to keep us safe, they would never lie to us. UFOs dont exist. And our cell phones are not being tracked... Never the less I have my tin foil hat on.

Attachments

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never the less I have my tin foil hat on.
Aha! So governments around the globe are aware that this outbreak is a genetic warfare experiment gone awry but they are reticent to reveal this fact for fear that worldwide panic will ensue and they would all most likely be dragged out of their splendid offices are be hung from the nearest lamppost.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You guys think ET will discover us before this whole thing goes viral-viral? :p

petecat

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone else starting to get concerned about what's happening with the coronavirus from Wuhan? It's difficult to know what is trustworthy information, and why is hype, but honestly, I'm starting to get a real uneasy feeling about what little 'legitimate' info is being reported from the WHO and CDC.

The latest information indicates the virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days, and just today, the CDC announced that someone infected may be infectious for the entire time they are asymptomatic. That's scary since it means infections are happening in areas that haven't seen any symptoms, for possibly a week or more.

As an ER doc, my wife is at the tip of the spear when it comes to treating people. And while I'm sure most that are not in the medical field will learn of local infections from word of mouth or local news reports, those reports come from those on the front line - who ultimately will be exposed before any warnings are issued.

I live in a very, very remote area (closest neighbor is more than a mile away, and the closest town with a Walmart is a 2hr RT drive). If things get bad, I can shelter in place (we have adequate food and supplies), but that will be of little consequence if wife is infected in the process of finding the first case of the virus in our area.

If anyone is concerned, the time to prepare is quickly evaporating. N95 and higher masks are all but sold out on Amazon. Emergency food rations are also expected to be exhausted as more people become aware of how real this threat is. As soon as people begin to hear of the increasing death toll and infections within their states, shelves will start to go empty. People will refuse to go to work - refuse to send their kids to school. It could get really ugly.

Many of us have cameras for, among other reasons, due to the distrust of fellow humans. The thin veneer of civility will quickly evaporate in conditions like this. I hope I'm wrong. But I am planing for the worst.
The regular Flu is more deadly at this point. Not concerned.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all, once upon a time when I startted out in the professional world I was a Biomedical Engineer, instrument R/D for mapping the Human Genome. The researchers, clinics, universities, pharma, hospital labs were my customers. I have kept in touch with most and from what we/they definately are is dissapointed with how this has been handled.

1. I have attached a research paper that was suddenly pulled from a research website titled Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag.
b. Immediately after it was pulled they started treating with hiv drugs, Doctors fight coronavirus outbreak with drugs that target HIV, malaria and Ebola

2. This research paper amongst other info that has been posted has been poo pood. Here is a news site that is covering it and will provide more details, Coronavirus Contains "HIV Insertions", Stoking Fears Over Artificially Created Bioweapon

3. The first original predictive model by JM Read. He is the guy the CDC and WHO goes to to predict how bad and fast this virus will progress. So far his figures are accurate. Which was done jan 25. It is the second attachment.

4. Here is a website by John Hopkins University that is tracking the Wuhoo chiken flu coronavirus live. Its a tracking map in near real time. Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

5. China has not been forthcoming with correct or current info, here is a link to one of the doctors losing it as he has not enough support....https://youtu.be/W-omAWWCjaI. There are videos of the dead lining the hallways.

6. China Coronavirus cause of deaths have been mis reported as Viral Pneumonia NOT from the CoronaVirus.

7. The Chinese Doctor who blew the wistle and went public has died from this virus. Li Wenliang, MD, If anyone in the history of the world wants to know what a Real Life Superhero looks like? Look no further.

b. When was the last time anyone has seen countries quarantine huge cities, borders and entire countries with military?
c. Why are all the healthcare workers in self contained biohazard suits if its not dangerous?
e. Since the virus is not dangerous and is not spreading then why did all the airlines stop flying to infected countries?
H. Why are they quaratining people who have just been exposed and showing no symptoms at military bases?
I. Why the need for a 25k sq foot hospital built in less than a week is needed? How can China build a hospital so quickly?

All this hub bub for a non dangerous virus as we have all been led to believe? Seems a lot of governments are going to extreme lengths over a little flu virus? Remember, our governments are here to keep us safe, they would never lie to us. UFOs dont exist. And our cell phones are not being tracked... Never the less I have my tin foil hat on.

No need to convince me. I've already made up my mind on how it originated. And a few posts back I made mention of the fact that its global Governments response that has me concerned the most. They're worried.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What's bad about the guy in Rockland County, NY, is that he took the train from Westchester into Manhattan then the subway, too, going wherever he was going. I'd guess upwards of 5-10,00 direct exposures, assuming rush hour travel, and how many secondary exposures? That's how it spreads and turns into the pandemic we all are worried about.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally from the information I have seen, I do not believe it to be a bio weapon.

History is full of mother nature attempting to cleanse the Earth of an infestation of us, much of it before we invented the microscope.

That noted, I believe China has a lot of smart people - even if under an authoritarian regime - and there is no way anyone running their country would collapse their economy if the threat was "just the regular seasonal flu". One day, this may become that.. until then, I think we're basically looking at a repeat of the 1918 pandemic.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Different experience at a second Costco I stopped off this afternoon to procure the items I forgot forgot to pickup earlier. They were all sold out of disinfectant wipes. But they insisted on wiping down the handle of my shopping cart With a disinfectant wipe before they allowed me to enter the store.
Went into Walmart briefly this afternoon...They didn't bother to make sure their disinfectant wipe station was loaded with wipes. Half the time it's empty but I'm kind of appalled that it was empty today given all the news about Corona and hand sanitation. I should have brought a wipe into the store with me but cleaned my hands pronto when I got back to the vehicle.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

No need to conbvince me. I've already made up my mind on how it originated. And a few posts back I made mention of the fact that its global GOvernments response that has me concerned the most. They're worried.
So let me get this straight.. You all think they created a bioweapon that only kills 2-6% of people who happen to already be in bad health and they released it upon themselves knowing full well they'd have to shut down their country and suffer billions $$ in losses?

Sometimes I have difficulty comprehending what other people are implying.. My brain doesn't do conspiracy very well.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Went into Walmart briefly this afternoon...They didn't bother to make sure their disinfectant wipe station was loaded with wipes. Half the time it's empty but I'm kind of appalled that it was empty today given all the news about Corona and hand sanitation. I should have brought a wipe into the store with me but cleaned my hands pronto when I got back to the vehicle.
Or just ask the service desk for a wipe.. or pick up a bottle of alcohol while your there.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.. You all think they created a bioweapon that only kills 2-6% of people who happen to already be in bad health and they released it upon themselves knowing full well they'd have to shut down their country and suffer billions $$ in losses?

Sometimes I have difficulty comprehending what other people are implying.. My brain doesn't do conspiracy very well.
Beats me but consider China knows they have a population problem. Just think how many problems it resolves to get a population reduction. I'm just playing devil's advocate so don't freak out by my comment. Also, the idea that the bioweapon escaped accidently is plausible as it's happened before.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like Everything is back to normal this week, panic here gone. Actually speaking during the big panic time, i just bought 1 week food and 2 weeks water, and some masks and disinfectant, that is all. Some Asians(Sure we are) love to storage, hope they will not return them back and make big waste.
Right now we are happy to see the busy city again. Lol.

1583285397779.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Everything is back to normal this week, panic here gone. Actually speaking during the big panic time, i just bought 1 week food and 2 weeks water, and some masks and disinfectant, that is all. Some Asians(Sure we are) love to storage, hope they will not return them back and make big waste.
Right now we are happy to see the busy city again. Lol.

View attachment 56698
Thanks for Good news Andy!

Are they still checking temperatures?