Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Granted that fracking and tar sands have added to the supply, but the point is that there is far more oil available today then ever before and more is being discovered constantly and more is being "made" constantly as well. It's interesting that the green group has hoped for this situation for years, but that there's no way in hell green energy can be a substitute, either in capacity or portabiility.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oil just crashed below $0 per barrel. No place to store it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Came here to say this as well. So, you are telling me my bet on USO was a bad one?:banghead:

I may just double down and deem it a long-term money hold. They are writing contracts for $30 out in October.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
In 2016 we used about 1.5 x the 1983 amount of oil as a world. Not like 10x. But more, for sure, steadily increasing since a minimum in 1983. Oil is finite and we run out eventually (<50 years). We are accelerating our usage faster than our rate of discovery supports.
I'm on my 50's; I remember some really crappy cars In late 70s early 80s. Ugh!
Yeah my numbers were just a guess, for making a point's sake.
As far as crappy cars, then you regretfully hung out with the wrong crowd ;) . That was the era of basically rebuilding cars yourself for not too much money.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Came here to say this as well. So, you are telling me my bet on USO was a bad one?:banghead:

I may just double down and deem it a long-term money hold. They are writing contracts for $30 out in October.
All this virus crap will pass. I cannot see this as a bad time to buy into Oil. It might go a bit lower but I don't think by much.
ExxonMobile.JPG

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
My first car was a 1976 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon with the clamshell rear. Fitted for cargo (no third row seat in back). Loved that thing. 400 cubic inch engine fed by a big old four barrel carb. It was about seven years old when I got it. I had it for 2 years of high school, 4 years of college, drove it cross country to graduate school and it lasted through postdoc work. I gave it up when I got a real job and needed to drive clients around; it needed some transmission work perhaps but whoever got it had years of service left in it. I still have the car's original timing chain in my basement. I did a lot of work on that car.

By contrast, my mom had a 1977 Caprice Estate Wagon. Pile-o-trash. Smaller engine, lightened body, crappy trans, was one problem after another. Cars want down hill from there for a while.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane guys.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, back to virus stuff:

Here is an interesting article on trial design considerations regarding COVID-19 as applies to studies soon to release data. Note there's no data from the trials in this article so don't get your hopes up.

The short story is that variations on standard of care between centers and in different countries make it a bit hard to set an efficacy baseline. But still there are several key studies that should shed light on treatments ranging from chloroquine and HC to the newer antivirals.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, back to virus stuff:

Here is an interesting article on trial design considerations regarding COVID-19 as applies to studies soon to release data. Note there's no data from the trials in this article so don't get your hopes up.
Can't we just have a little bit of “False Hope”? Please, pretty please? :rofl:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are the highlights of Trump the day he mentioned Chloroquine / Hydroxychloroquine as a possible “game changer”. Starting with the first night of the day Trump made these comments Fake News went absolutely nuts. This was the day before the next when they hammered him and Fauci(who was not here during these comment before the press went nuts) about Trump putting it out there. If you honestly listen to Trump without bias, can you honestly say his comments were not just being hopeful? If you honestly listen to him, he also says “maybe not“. The fake news left this part of it out completely however, but in this day and age par for the course. It didn’t meet their narrative.

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't we just have a little bit of “False Hope”? Please, pretty please? :rofl:

There's reason to have hope that HQ might have positive impact for moderate cases although it isn't looking good for severe ones. More data needed.

And I admit Trump used hopeful terms not absolute "it's gonna work" language. I don't like how this became political in some people's eyes.

As for me and every liberal doctor I know we are hoping HQ works great at reducing progression of COVID-19. It became a "thing" for right wing media to trumpet any questioning of HQ effectiveness as liberal Trump bashing, and left wing media of course panned him for suggesting it might (hopefully) be a cure before there was evidence to support it.

Now both wings are in full frenzy over this while the rest of the world wonders why we have our head up our own ass. The meds a can shove it.

Meanwhile >5300 people died in the world yesterday due to this thing, almost 2000 of them in the US.
I will take ANYTHING that works as good news no matter who endorsed it.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s freaking insane the freedom that many are willing to give up. In Tucker Carlsons show tonight he talk about Drones being donated to 22 American states to control people that might be, in the local governments eyes anyway, not following the social distancing that each state has been making up on their own. But what gets me is that DJI a Chinese company donated them for this purpose, and Tucker didn’t emphasize that significant part much.
Starting at the 3:15 mark...

Saying this facetiously, I guess we really should fall in line and give up the freedoms our, or at least my, forefathers fought for. As the CCP state run media CGTN told us to in that video posted early on in this thread(the guy with the fake glasses and lipstick).

Last edited:

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The rest of the world are amazed and shocked at Americans.
Its a Pandemic!
If I have to go into lockdown here in Australia for a month or even more, I will do it! if it means we might save someones Dad, Mother, Uncle, Aunty , Grandparents etc!
Things will get back to normal once its over but people wake up, its a Pandemic and its killing people!
We want the police to crack down on others here who ignore the rules put into place to protect the vulnerable in our society.
All it takes is a few to ignore the restrictions to cause havoc amoungst the popluation by spreading the virus out of control.
Its working for us in Australia and New Zealand and soon our restrictions will be eased off and we will have saved so many lives with the heavy restrictions.
I just don't get the mentality that I see on the news in America?
Wake up and put yourselves out a bit for a short time to save lives! Every Country is hurting and these restrictions are to save lives.

Once it is all over and if they don't lift any of the measures put in place to hinder your rights, then by all means, protest, go to rally's etc, strike do what ever.

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
How about this?

This picture is making the rounds.View attachment 59974

Really, the BLM issue, illegal border crossers, are the same as real Americans who have been told to lock down, and not work, without any solid science to back up the restrictions, just assumptions and models that were painfully incorrect.

If you really study the BLM issue you will find that blacks are not being singled out compared to other races. And most if not all instances involve resisting arrest.

Illegal entry into America is just that. Illegal.

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and you surely won’t my friend, as you are most likely are only watching fake news
We are the same as you as well as every country in the world. Same Pandemic. We welocme any measures put in place to stop the spread if it can save lives. We know they will all be lifted once its over.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
We are the same as you as well as every country in the world. Same Pandemic. We welocme any measures put in place to stop the spread if it can save lives. We know they will all be lifted once its over.
Are you out of work personally? Have you defaulted on your mortgage personally? Is your bank account at zero personally?
What the Lame Stream Media is highlighting is the very small portion of Americans who brought guns to the demonstrations. It was probably only 15-20 people out of thousands.
Yeah, those few probably shouldn’t have done it but those few feel their rights are being trampled on just like they want to take away their Second Amendment rights. Did they fire any shots? No. Also they were legally in the right to bear arms. Period. For those few it was about their liberty.

Last edited: