Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
While I don't believe this was some intentional human engineered virus, I have been and remain a proponent of keeping manufacturing and other jobs on our shores.

It's not just the chips we have to learn to make at scale. It is also the little things like tiny screws. We don't currently have the manufacturing capacity to make this stuff.

Partisan politics aside, I hope we find a way to beef up our US manufacturing infrastructure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

There you go making sense again ;)

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I don't believe this was some intentional human engineered virus, I have been and remain a proponent of keeping manufacturing and other jobs on our shores.

It's not just the chips we have to learn to make at scale. It is also the little things like tiny screws. We don't currently have the manufacturing capacity to make this stuff.

Partisan politics aside, I hope we find a way to beef up our US manufacturing infrastructure.
Unless americans are willing to change their spending habits, and valuing paying a bit more for domestic stuff, those small items that are produced in large quantity wont ever be made here in the US again.

China competes not just on cheap labor but also cheap regulations. They have no qualms signing all of the environmental deals that comes up, but adhering to them is another matter.With both of these in mind we simply cannot compete without lowering wages substantially and ignoring most of the environmental and labor regulations. Frankly that may appeal to the CEOs but that would be pure garbage town for the workers.

What we can do is focus on bringing back some of the high tech jobs, like chip making, and then diversifying our supply chain for other products. Taiwan, vietnam, SK, JPN etc...

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every other country puts tariffs on imported goods. It's cheaper for them to buy locally. We do not. This is a big part of the problem.
most of the high tariff countries are developing nations, or island nations (like Bermuda).

The highest tariff among advanced nations i can find it south korea at 8.67% with Norway being 2nd (among advanced nations) at 3.13%

The U.S averages 1.66%, and the E.U appears to be 1.79%. Canada is at 1.52%.

This doesn't take into account any special tariff rates due to trade deals mind you, but our tariffs aren't much different than our peers. We could raise them across the board and promote more domestic jobs, but then other countries would retaliate and there's nothing we'd be able to do about them raising tariffs against us.
sauce: List of countries by tariff rate - Wikipedia

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Vat is basically a sales tax, although it tends to be applied differently in Europe than is common in the US. Their tariffs on imports are in addition to whatever VAT has been applied. As a result E.U residents will pay VAT regardless of the country of origin, but if that country is outside of the E.U economic zone then there will be an additional fee (tariff) included in the price.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I will have to disagree here. How many of us have bought cameras and had them shipped direct from China. Did you have to pay the delivery guy a tax for him to hand it over to you?

Now try to sell something to Europe, Asia, etc. The shipping form asks the value of the item so that the recipient can pay a tax on that amount.

I have never paid a direct import tax on anything.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
that makes sense given the context of your argument.

Here the receiver will generally have the import fee either included in the price or a customs fee tacked on. When selling to a buyer in another country that tends to be something the seller has to flesh out on their end.

That said there are probably some loop holes in the system.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Loopholes? Hah! Europe is very VERY adept at getting their pound of flesh via the VAT. I'm aware of this from other forums that I frequent and the horror stories that people have told...

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i was referring domestic loop holes here in the USA.

Also doing some more research below is the CBP website regarding internet purchases. I also looked through my order history and all of the stuff i ordered directly from china (whether from alieexpress, or through amazon and shipped from china) did not appear to have a customs or import fee attached, but the one item i bought from the UK did.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, we can't do this in the bathroom together anymore until this pandemic is over,

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Several docs I know feel positively about ivermectin and are waiting to see if RCTs confirm the results.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
In Wuhan, this is how the party goes, WUUUUUUHAAAA!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here......

Vitamin C 2000mg/day
Vitamin D3 2000mg/day
Zinc 50mg/day
Quercetin 1000mg/day
Pepcid 40mg/day

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Informal poll:

Let's say in Q1 2021 one or more vaccines for COVID-19 are released in the US that have completed phase III trials and are deemed safe and effective.

Who is in?

I am, despite some lingering methodology concerns about the Moderna RNA vaccine. Less concern about some of the others.

Trying to get a feel from those here about how quickly you would get the vaccine or if you are opposed to getting it.