Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just for your benefit, to illustrate that they haven't scrubbed this story from the web, yet.

Search "33-year-old fully vaccinated New Orleans woman dies of corona virus"
I'm amazed there is this much coverage of her death.
Original story from WDSU-6 in New Orleans.
I would say it is still online since the family's statement is people still need to mask up and get vaccinated, it is sad the vaccine did not help their loved one.

Reaction score
The Covidians and lockdown enthusiasts are hard at work trying to hold on to that power as long as possible.
They're losing, badly. Their extreme tactics are intended to demoralize and wear down their opposition.
What they fail to comprehend is the incredible resolve and strong beliefs and intelligence of our side.
Their extreme tactics will fail, miserably.
The spectacle will be glorious.

mercfh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mean, at least where I am at I haven't really seen much restriction. In Kentucky at least Beshear did a pretty good job (compared to other states) with keeping Infection/Hospitalization low. Both sides seem to like him as he isn't super heavy handed, but also you can tell really wants to do whats best for the state.

Pretty much everywhere I go it's "mask up if you are unvaccinated" but there is no sweeping mandate. Which at this point in time is fine with me. I had no issue wearing a mask, but as I am now vaccinated I generally don't.

That being said it's going to be difficult for any state to "rescind" getting people to wear masks, that's just the reality of it. At this point the vaccine is available freely to anyone that wants it so at this point it's kinda going to be difficult to convince anyone that hasn't gotten it to get it (Which is their right).

I was "fortunate" I guess to have a lot of family in the medical field, and the burden covid initially put on hospitals. It was a real issue. Now did the news obviously overhype it? (Well yeah they do everything) but I got to see the "ins" of first hand how crippled it had made some larger hospitals in this area. It's nowhere near that bad now obviously, even with the Delta variant/etc...

I think the real problem is this is going to be an on-going thing for awhile. I don't see us as a whole ever reaching any sort of "herd immunity" at this point and naturally either the virus is going to become a "more-deadly" flu (Flu isn't even that deadly, but statistically this virus is more deadly) that we see yearly, or something that naturally mutates to a state of high transmissibility but low fatality (Which is what will probably happen, just from an evolutionary perspective it makes sense, but obviously that's not guaranteed obviously)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please use data for facts, not touchy feely hear say information.

In 2017-2018 the flu killed more people under 17 in the USA then COVID has. Total deaths for covid under 17 is under 400, the FLU in 2017-2018 for that age group was 643. The population of under 17 is 76 million in the US.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Texas Governor Threatens Fines for Local Officials Who Enforce Mask Mandates

By Brittany Bernstein

July 29, 2021 9:22 PM

Texas governor Greg Abbott (Brendan McDermid/Reuters)

Texas governor Greg Abbott on Thursday threatened to issue fines to local officials who enforce new mask mandates.
Abbott’s warning comes after the CDC reversed course earlier this week and recommended that people in areas with substantial spread of COVID-19 should wear masks indoors — including vaccinated individuals. The new guidance is the result of concerns over the highly transmissible Delta variant.

“Texans have mastered the safe practices that help to prevent and avoid the spread of COVID-19. They have the individual right and responsibility to decide for themselves and their children whether they will wear masks, open their businesses, and engage in leisure activities,” Abbott said in a statement.
The Republican governor issued an executive order on Thursday encouraging residents in areas with high transmission to “follow the safe practices they have already mastered,” such as wearing masks where social distancing is not feasible.

However, government entities including county, city, school-district, or public-health authorities cannot issue mask mandates. Local government entities that violate the policy and require face coverings may be fined up to $1,000.

The order adds that government entities cannot “compel any individual to receive a COVID-19 vaccine administered under an emergency use authorization.”

Additionally, governmental agencies, public entities, and private entities that receive public funding cannot require proof of vaccination as a condition of receiving services.

The order does not prohibit nursing homes or living facilities from requiring residents to be vaccinated.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The study the CDC cites for their "mask guidance" was a study conducted in India, on a vaccine not approved for even emergency use in the US, the Astra Zeneca vaccine, and was rejected in peer review. As soon as the White House/CDC cited it that rejected status was changed to "under review" then changed again later to say "reviewed". Yet another fine example of the CDC "following the settled science". The whole thing is totally out of control and the White House and MSM are in cahoots to keep the country locked down and under their direct control.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you know what would work? Vaccinations in conjunction to Lockdowns especially in hard-hit areas

Even if you have half a country vaccinated (note, not everyone will want the vaccine, and ideally not everyone will find the need of the vaccine provided they follow appropriate health safety guidelines [i.e. staying isolated, social distancing, etc.]), combine that with a 2-week lockdown, you won't see a surge in cases, especially in those areas in which Vaccination numbers are low. It is recommended to get the vaccine, but not many will be ready to opt for it due to the current approval nature by the FDA

Now when you reopen schools in the fall and all the vaccinated kids head to classroom, this virus will, and I MEAN WILL, find a way to outsmart the vaccine / herd immunity as well. This is typical in all such respiratory viruses and therefore, requires drastic action and not the lazy approach.

We will have annual shots, this is not going to be eradicated anytime soon especially given the human psyche and behavior

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
In-spite of getting the vaccine, I've been wearing a mask in public spaces since Day 1, and that includes everything from Costco to Public Restrooms. The irony is the WHO has recommended vaccinated people to keep their masks on whereas the CDC suggested that vaccinated people can take their masks off. What happened when people removed their masks? The virus spread like wildfire in turn lowering the efficacy of the currently available vaccines. Now we need booster shots thanks to all this hypocrisy. Let's not blame individual people; but put accountability on the parties that mislead the general public.

Last edited: