Pay for Tuning Assistance?

Reaction score
Is there anyone that y'all know of that I could pay for assistance in tuning my cameras? I live in a high activity neighborhood and would really like to get my cameras tuned appropriately.

I have DaHua and HKVision units.

The problem is mostly at night, images being largely not usable for identification despite good light.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anyone that y'all know of that I could pay for assistance in tuning my cameras? I live in a high activity neighborhood and would really like to get my cameras tuned appropriately.

I have DaHua and HKVision units.

The problem is mostly at night, images being largely not usable for identification despite good light.
This website is free. Just post your images. What camera models? some will just be poor at night regardless of how you set them.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are these dome camera's, or have you put them behind glass?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The high one is an exposed dome. The low is a turret under an overhang
something is not right. The dahua listed is a dome, the hik is a bullet. Regardless, both a poor low light performers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are right, bullet - used turret incorrectly there.
The dome, is also being hindered by a light shining at it and an obstruction on the right reflecting IR as well as some ir reflection in the rest of the image.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The exposed dome needs some cleaning of the dome, and the light reflects back into the dome if you ask me.

Reaction score
Both of you are noting light reflecting back into the dome - I'll definitely get the lawn light in the high right of the scene pointing elsewhere, but can you elaborate a bit on the reflections you all are talking about.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Get some varifocal starlights. IPC-HDW2231R-ZS or IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. Mount them as low to the ground as you can (to see under the brim of hats and stuff) and use the zoom to focus on areas most likely to see a face. You should aim for at least 100 pixels per foot on a person's face, though I know that is hard to achieve.

There are fixed-lens versions too if you want to save a few bucks on each camera.

There's also a model that is even better at low light, IPC-HFW4239T-ASE. It is designed for color capture at night, so it doesn't have IR support. Choose the 6mm lens for that one since it is more zoomed in than the other lenses.

Those guys were moving a little too fast and causing blurring at your shutter speed, particularly on the first cam that had switched into color mode. In the camera's image settings, try 1/60 exposure or better. You can easily test if the exposure time is good by moving through your driveway yourself and then reviewing the recordings.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Because of the round shape of a dome, it will pick up light from just about anywhere in the near field of it. And IR light has much more radiation as normal visible light.

Plus the camera is more sensitive for this IR light, so it will pick it up from anything that reflects it back into the dome.

You could use a external IR illuminator for the dome, but generally i would ditch the dome, and replace that one with a turret :)