PIR sensor to trigger NVR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I've got some of those but no idea how I'd get a cable run from where I'd put the PIR to the NVR! I pre planned ethernet cables for the cameras when I did a reno at the front but not for further cables...

Can alarm signals be sent over the network? I've got cbus home automation which has a PIR on it at the front door...
the camera only users 2 pairs of the 4 in an Ethernet cable...

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Really? I thought ethernet used all 4. At least gigabit which the cameras aren't but they are plugged into a gigabit switch.

Interesting option but I guess it needs to bypass the switch? It's a nice to have but sounds too hard given my setup, going to put it in the too hard basket

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those interested in my project, The Guardline PIR sensor has 12V and dry outputs. I ran a Cat 5 cable(since I have so much of this) and connected 2 conductors to the dry output and the other ends to the alarm input block on my NVR. When a car comes down the driveway the PIR receiver sounds a tone and closes the connection of the output wires. The NVR is set up for the alarm input to trigger 2 cameras. I get an email with 3 images each from the 2 cameras.