PoE Switch Suggestion List

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gio... please update as a Google Docs spreadsheet. Reduces the risk of malware and it will always be "up to date" without users having to re-download. :)

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a TP Link TL-SG1008PE switch, but I'm short one port, what should I do? Do I really need to upgrade, to a 16 port switch?

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a TP Link TL-SG1008PE switch, but I'm short one port, what should I do? Do I really need to upgrade, to a 16 port switch?
if you have a spare port elsewhere (some other switch) just run a power injector,
if the down stream cams don't have that much of a power requirement you could probably just (ab)use something like:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZTNHNW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1CTMZL0LKZFWD&colid=B5T1KVAL6F9F&psc=0

if you want stuff neat and tidy you might use this an excuse to get a 16 or a second 8.

just spit balling ideas.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is a standard Gigabit Ethernet interface. Connect it to anything you want (switch, PC, AP, etc). It's not a proprietary stacking backplane interface.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see any Planet switches in your list? I have used them in quite a few installs as well, i.e. 8 Port PoE with dual gigabit uplink (RJ45 or SFP): FGSD-1022VHP. They are $139USD from our supplier:

-Jamie M.
Some of these Planet switches look exactly like another model, with the exception of the LCD screen, which is pretty nice! I added a couple switches I found on their web site, but am assuming that including your dealer pricing is pointless for the rest of us?

Thanks again for your valuable input into the list.

Mark

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info on Ubiquiti switch management and the SFP adapters. I will update the list accordingly.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered one of these: Ubiquiti TS-8-PRO ToughSwitch 8 based on what I read here and in a few other threads. I'm a total noob with this stuff so I'll let you know from a noobs pov how easy to set up it is once it arrives.

Thanks for the info and very useful list.

/r

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
based on what I read here and in a few other threads.
Be aware that, although selectable for 24/48v, these are Passive PoE and as a consequence hugely over-priced and may present a risk to non-PoE devices.
You'd need to be very sure what you connect them to.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Be aware that, although selectable for 24/48v, these are Passive PoE and as a consequence hugely over-priced and may present a risk to non-PoE devices.
You'd need to be very sure what you connect them to.
So are you saying that as long as I plug them into POE devices only i'm all good? - Or should I rather cancel the order (while i still can) and get something more for dummies?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
based on what I read here and in a few other threads.
I had a look through the thread here and the spreadsheet but didn't see any references to that specific model - though I could easily have missed it.
So what guided you to that choice?

So are you saying that as long as I plug them into POE devices only i'm all good?
Certainly it's not advisable to plug a passive PoE source into a non-PoE device. It will probably be OK, but not guaranteed.
Or should I rather cancel the order (while i still can) and get something more for dummies?
That's your choice, based on your selection criteria, and your confidence level in it.
But I wouldn't buy a passive PoE switch, especially one that supports a proprietary standard, and one at what seems like a high price.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There, Cancelled.

I was reading the reviews on amazon once I saw someone here somewhere... I can't find the thread now mentioned how fantastic the touchswitch was. - Unless I ordered the wrong model which is pretty feasible.

Usually I buy tp-link because I've had many tp link routers, extenders etc over the years but I was not able to find a reasonable tp-link switch on amazon (one that ships internationally anyway.) - other than this one: T1500G-10PS which started getting me to the ubiquiti price range.

but now i've just found this one! TL-SG108PE

Maybe one of these will be better?
For either of them I'm adding around $30 for shipping.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... now i've gone down the rabbit hole of: "If you liked that then you WILL like these too!!!" - grrrrr. lol. expanded my search now to netgear as well and there seems to be lots of reasonable priced option. (Anything under 200 shipped for me is a good price).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading the reviews on amazon once I saw someone here somewhere... I can't find the thread now mentioned how fantastic the touchswitch was. - Unless I ordered the wrong model which is pretty feasible.
Using the search there are in fact a few generic ToughSwitch mentions, both positive and negative, for example:
Best Poe router for 8 items?
But have the whole search : Search Results for Query: toughswitch | IP Cam Talk
expanded my search now to netgear as well and there seems to be lots of reasonable priced option.
Don't get too hung up on the over-analysis - there is no 'single best choice' - there are lots of good choices, any of which will be fine.
The trick is to avoid the less-good choices.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used to think I could live with unmanaged switches (I have many), but managed switches are typically “fendermended”, so I have started down the path of acquiring Ubiquiti UniFi switches and WAP’s. It is going to be a long-term upgrade process, and I am watching for deals via .com

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone used a Hikvision switch? Saw them for sale so just wondering if someone had anything to say about them?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t recall any discussions in the last six months, but may have missed it.

I looked quickly at some of their offerings, and some models look like others in the list; maybe BV Tech?

I think these things all start to look the same after awhile!

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about the Cisco SG200-50P? 25 POE ports, 50 total, managed, 1000mbit. Got mine on ebay for $200.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used to think I could live with unmanaged switches (I have many), but managed switches are typically “fendermended”, so I have started down the path of acquiring Ubiquiti UniFi switches and WAP’s. It is going to be a long-term upgrade process, and I am watching for deals via .com
I made the jump for Ubiquiti after researching here about cams. I have a USG, the 16-150w switch (I need more ports now, lol), very quite switch. Cloud Key and 2 AP AC Pros. The integration is amazing. If you're not in California(taxed) check out Newegg. They've been having a lot of deals on Ubiquiti lately. Also set up a deal alert on slickdeals.com