Point to Point Wireless Bridge Recomendations

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was hoping to get a standard 808.3af so I could just plug in a POE cable and be good to go, but doesn't look like that is the case :(
The Ubiquiti NS-5AC-US supports 802.3af though many of their products are only 24V passive PoE.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
At only 45m, you might try just an outdoor AP. More of those will run 802.3af/at and can run in a mesh mode with another AP.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Ubiquiti NS-5AC-US supports 802.3af though many of their products are a 24V passive PoE.
In this instance, what does Passive POE matter if it powers the device from a POE switch? If they are 802.3AF then it should be able to downgrade the power from the 48V of 802.3AF to the 24V the unit needs to power?

Isn't it similar to how a 802.3AF camera can work from a straight POE switch? My understanding is that 802.3AF is 48V POE...

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At only 45m, you might try just an outdoor AP. More of those will run 802.3af/at and can run in a mesh mode with another AP.
Doesn't that bring issues of don't use a IP camera over wifi? Or is it only if the camera itself is connecting via wifi?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd rather have a wire between the two, but you get it done as you need to sometimes for what you want to spend. A single cam with basic settings isn't going to tax things too much. I'm not much of a wireless guy but I think the mesh is basically similar to what's happening radio-wise with point-to-point (but it's not dedicated and you don't have the more directed antennas). If it were a WiFi cam with a marginal receiver that you're trying to keep up on a distant AP that would be a lot more shaky.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In this instance, what does Passive POE matter if it powers the device from a POE switch? If they are 802.3AF then it should be able to downgrade the power from the 48V of 802.3AF to the 24V the unit needs to power?
A non-802.3AF POE device, in the case you cited is called the "PD", cannot communicate with a "PSE" device, which is this case is a 802.3af POE switch.
Therefore, the 802.3af POE switch will not supply power to the passively-powered 24VDC radio.
Isn't it similar to how a 802.3AF camera can work from a straight POE switch? My understanding is that 802.3AF is 48V POE...
What do you mean by a "straight" POE switch?

BTW, good reading (yawn..) here ==>> Power Over Ethernet Wikipedia

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't that bring issues of don't use a IP camera over wifi? Or is it only if the camera itself is connecting via wifi?
The issue is if you are using that wifi for also your internet LAN - it will bring your whole system to a grinding halt.

To be clear, the only device connected to this AP would be that one camera, not your whole internet.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

802.3af, 802.3at, and 802.3bt are the main official PoE standards and operate around 48V how much power (watts) they can delver varies. Some camera MFGs have adopted their own variant of at/bt that can deliver more power to a power hungry PTZ.

Passive PoE is not standardized, MFGs do whatever they want. It's cheaper / easier for them, at the expense of a few safety/quality features.

In case of the Ubiquiti NS-5AC-US it can be powered by a normal 802.3af switch at (48V) or Ubiquiti's 24V passive injector. This is uncommon. Often equipment designed for 24V passive PoE comes with a power injector you can use to supply power to the device.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The issue is if you are using that wifi for also your internet LAN - it will bring your whole system to a grinding halt.

To be clear, the only device connected to this AP would be that one camera, not your whole internet.
That makes sense. Would have to hide the SSID so no one else go on it, but that would work.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
802.3af, 802.3at, and 802.3bt are the main official PoE standards and operate around 48V how much power (watts) they can delver varies. Some camera MFGs have adopted their own variant of at/bt that can deliver more power to a power hungry PTZ.

Passive PoE is not standardized, MFGs do whatever they want. It's cheaper / easier for them, at the expense of a few safety/quality features.

In case of the Ubiquiti NS-5AC-US it can be powered by a normal 802.3af switch at (48V) or Ubiquiti's 24V passive injector. This is uncommon. Often equipment designed for 24V passive PoE comes with a power injector you can use to supply power to the device.
Thank you, that is what I had read in the wiki, but couldn't figure out why the Ubiquii would allow both 48V 802.3af and the 24V passive, sounds like it is a rareity for them to be able to accept both...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i have ubiquiti 2.4 ghz loco nano pair running since 2020. at 300 feet with one tree branch partially in the way. How come nobody told me anout the damn POE switch adapter before now DAMMIT ALL…
=>> Ubiquiti INS-3AF-I-G Indoor Gigabit Adapter . There's an outdoor version as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have ubiquiti 2.4 ghz loco nano pair running since 2020. at 300 feet with one tree branch partially in the way. How come nobody told me anout the damn POE switch adapter before now DAMMIT ALL…
=>> Ubiquiti INS-3AF-I-G Indoor Gigabit Adapter . There's an outdoor version as well.
Is this you LOL

1680754440543.png

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the outdoor model, if all it is is an inline converter, that would be very useful to me

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.