Poor infrared

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My web browser doesnt look like the one Dahua have on their info for some reason and I followed the instructions and use IE when setting the browser up.

Does the cameras connected to the NVR make a difference for this? I am using 192.168.1.108 to access the browser and when I try 10.1.1.65 I get no where but a search page

I have e mailed Dahua but got no response from them.

Thanks

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
192.168.1.108 is the default address that your Dahua camera uses out-of-the-box. After you log into your Dahua camera (and update the admin password) you can change the IP address. The Dahua administrative web interface may look different with newer versions of the camera's firmware.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I need to change the camera's IP address's to access the cameras and do the IR changes because at the moment there is no option to access the IR on the web service i have but I have changed the privacy mask so I must be doing something right ;)
If so how do I change the IP address's?
sorry to be so slow and thick on this

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When i run Dahua Smart PSS v 2 it has the same options as the web browser i access i cant find anything that says IR or smart IR on either but i can adjust the privacy mask on both.
I am really getting lost on this and either Dahua cant be bothered letting people know that options have change on the browser and smart PSS or i am doing something wrong :(

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does the cameras connected to the NVR make a difference for this? I am using 192.168.1.108 to access the browser and when I try 10.1.1.65 I get no where but a search page
The camera connecting to the NVR does make a difference. The NVR doesn’t have the ability to configure every setting on the camera... sometimes you have to connect direct to the camera and manually set some yourself.

Also, the NVR creates a separate network for cameras that are plugged directly into the back of it. This can make it a little bit of a challenge to connect directly to the cameras. Try plugging your computer into one of the NVR’s ports. The NVR should give your computer an IP address that starts with 10.1.1.x. Once your computer has an IP address like that, you should be able to connect directly to the camera.

I have e mailed Dahua but got no response from them.
Dahua generally only supports their authorized resellers/professional installers directly, not consumers like us. That’s why I like this forum — lots of information and people willing to help out!

Last edited:

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@GT60, have you studied the Cliff Notes in the Wiki?k
Hi yes but it sort off went over my head but will keep reading it thanks

Withregards connecting to the Pc and cameras i will try that but i would have to do without the Nvr whilst i try that because i would have to take the pc up stairs and uplug NVR internet connection so i can use it for the PC.
would that be ok?
Thanks everyone for all your help.
I am also considering a flood light on the house so it comes on when someone walks past ( just seen it another house)
Would this cure the IR issue inregards to faces being recognised?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi yes but it sort off went over my head but will keep reading it thanks

Withregards connecting to the Pc and cameras i will try that but i would have to do without the Nvr whilst i try that because i would have to take the pc up stairs and uplug NVR internet connection so i can use it for the PC.
would that be ok?
Thanks everyone for all your help.
I am also considering a flood light on the house so it comes on when someone walks past ( just seen it another house)
Would this cure the IR issue inregards to faces being recognised?
That is surely can make it works better in the night, if bright enough, you can get a colorful pics in the night.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Going to read the Wiki again today but unable to connect the camera's to my pc as i only have one Ethernet port and i will need 2 so i can get on the internet.
i will see what i can order of e bay hopefully there will be a double socket thing that i can use
something like you use for all the plugs for the tv dvd and sky box etc
Thanks again everyone

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going to read the Wiki again today but unable to connect the camera's to my pc as i only have one Ethernet port and i will need 2 so i can get on the internet.
i will see what i can order of e bay hopefully there will be a double socket thing that i can use
something like you use for all the plugs for the tv dvd and sky box etc
Thanks again everyone
A "splitter" won't work. The cameras require PoE (Power over Ethernet) which can come from a NVR with PoE built in or from a network switch that has PoE. You need to have a basic understanding of how networking works to get the camera to work. Just plugging it directly into your computer will yield no results.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for telling me, youve just saved me tons of headaches.
There is some goid news i turned down the cameras brightness and contrast a little bit yesterday and tested it last night without lights and you can make out some face features.
will play about a bit more,use my wall light and read wiki until i understand it.
Thanks again

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I've just had an e mil back from Dahua and they are saying i have not got the web service running BUT i believe i have as i need the web service on IE to set up the privacy mask and this is how i did the mask https://dahuawiki.com/How_To_Setup_Privacy_Mask
I set up the web service on IE using the default address in the dam manual for the system.
Here is the latest e mails. Hope you guys can make sense of it and tell me who's right

Hi

With regard the web browser mine looks different to the photo of one you sent me and what’s shown on the Dahua web site.

There is NO option to adjust IR on the web browser I have (or to adjust the shutter speed or make sure the Smart IR is turned on)

I followed the instructions and use IE when setting the browser up.

Does the cameras connected to the NVR make a difference for this? I am using 192.168.1.108 to access the browser and when I try 10.1.1.65 I get nowhere but a search page

When I run Dahua Smart PSS v 2 it has the same options as the web browser I access I can’t find anything that says IR or smart IR on either but I can adjust the privacy mask on both the web browser and Smart PSS.

I am really getting lost on this and either Dahua HQ can’t be bothered letting people know that options have change on the browser and smart PSS or I am doing something wrong :(

Help Please

Their reply

Sorry for late reply, I was off for 2 days. Please login again through the web browser, Go to SETUP, SYSTEM, VERSION. Please tell me what is the model Number, Serial Number and Built date?

Device Type:DHI-NVR4104HS-P-4KS2

Record Channel:4 Alarm In:Alarm Out:

SN:3L04674PAZ43xxxx

Web Version:3.2.3.84176 Onvif Server Version:

Onvif Client Version: 2.4.1 System

Version:3.215.0000000.4, Build Date: 2018-01-19

The camera’s are IPC-HDW4431EM-ASE this is all the info on the camera’s I can find sorry but I have enclosed screen shots of the web browser interface

It will not work until you pass me the right information, you are keep sending me a recorder screen shots, from start I am asking you to login to your Camera, as long as you can’t login I will not be able to help.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[/IMG]
[/IMG] as you can see my web service is completely different from Dahua for some reason.
UNLESS i have to Log in to the cameras directly as suggested above in which case i am stuffed :( because i dont have the POE thing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any 12vdc power supply will work in place of POE.
Yes, they are wanting the screen shot from the camera, not from the NVR.
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

And thats why you can't see the settings you need. You need to look directly in the cam setup interface, not the NVR's.

Why not hire a local computer geek to help you out.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1, So how do i connect the camera to the pc via a 12v supply wouldn't i need to rewire the camera's as they have the Ethernet connectors on the cable ends so they plug straight in to the NVR

2, If i purchased a cheap POE for setting up the cameras is this the only time i would use the poe or would there be over times i would need to use it?
3, Is there anything else i would need apart from a POE and could the POE Be up stairs where the NVR is and i can access the camera's downstairs where my PC is?

Setting up the web browser for the camera's aint a problem now i know where i am going wrong i hope, the scary bit is if i have to change IP address of things to get online ;)

Thanks for all this and finally getting to the bottom of this one of many issues.
I am now going for a lie down in a dark room hehehe
Ps just had a quick look at that guide and i can see that helping me tons so thanks for that along with Wiki

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi quick question with regards the IR being worst on the 6Mp camera than the 4MP camera.
would this apply if both cameras have the same IR spec?
Dahua 4MP mic POE IR Dome IP Camera IPC HDW4431em as IPC HDW4431emp as replace IPC HDW4421em as English verison can upgrade-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/search/products?keyword=hdw4631em-ase

I have the 4MP at the minute but did order the 6MP and have been offered £20 refund or the correct 6 MP cameras.
I do have outside lighting now and am considering a flood light instead but running test's on all the different settings at the minute.
I had a chat with my installer over the starlight camera and he came back with this Model number is IPC-HDBW5231E-Z-S2 and i seen the price WTF!
Thanks

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi quick question with regards the IR being worst on the 6Mp camera than the 4MP camera.
would this apply if both cameras have the same IR spec?
Dahua 4MP mic POE IR Dome IP Camera IPC HDW4431em as IPC HDW4431emp as replace IPC HDW4421em as English verison can upgrade-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/search/products?keyword=hdw4631em-ase

I have the 4MP at the minute but did order the 6MP and have been offered £20 refund or the correct 6 MP cameras.
I do have outside lighting now and am considering a flood light instead but running test's on all the different settings at the minute.
I had a chat with my installer over the starlight camera and he came back with this Model number is IPC-HDBW5231E-Z-S2 and i seen the price WTF!
Thanks
Hi GT60,

I highly encourage you to check out the various reviews members have done here and look at the sample videos and images they have captured.

Most of us are selecting the various 2MP Dahua OEM starlight models to get the best low light peformance.

We don't care for the domes outdoors in general, and thus prefer the following models instead
IPC-HDW5231R-Z(E) and IPC-HDW42xx

There is a newer model w/o a microphone IPC-HDW22xx - see Looney2ns review on it.

The preferred / recommended vendor is Andy ( empiretecandy ) - he is in the vendor section and has earned our trust.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi mat200 yes i have asked Andy about shipping.
But i already have a 4MP camera and it was supposed to be a 6 MP and when i asked on this thread a while ago about the 6MP it was suggested the IR would be worst than what it is now but i dont understand how when they both have the same spec i think and its that what i am trying to find out now.

I am going to start a new post on camera postions and photos of my house etc as i am looking at getting a star light as recommend on here sometime in the near future.
Please can you send me the camera model numbers with out the xx

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi GT60

the low light/IR night vision issue regarding higher MP cameras is that sensor sizes tend to be the same, just with a lot more pixels in the same chip area. That results in less light hitting each pixel and therefore less sensitivity. In good light that's ok and pictures look good, but as light level fades the sensor struggles more and you tend to get a noisier image. With IR, sure you can throw enough to get a useable picture, but the on-camera IR isn't going to cut it really, you'd need external IR illuminators to get decent coverage especially to the edges of the image frame which is where on-camera usually fails miserably at, it tends to give a hot area directly ahead and little light spread beyond that.

In general the lower MP cameras perform better in lower light levels as there's fewer but larger pixels on the CCD area, hence they each get more light and you get a less noisy picture. The starvis/starlight sensors have much more sensitivity and being 2MP they benefit from larger pixels. IR performance is better too for the same reasons but external units to fill the edges if needed also helps.