Problems with new Dahua N22AL12

SuperChimp

n3wb
Reaction score
hi all I'm new to the Dahua camera world, but not to the world of surveillance/security in general.

We're making the move for our commercial property from Arlo to Dahua/Amcrest/Similar. Planning to use with an Amcrest branded 16 channel NVR. I purchased (6) of the N22AL12 during the recent sale. However, the cameras have a really bad IR reflection ring on them when used in the dark which is annoying and makes them borderline unusable. I've tried all the fixes listed on the site...making sure the dome is screwed in tight, removing nearby obstacles/reflection sources, etc. I know these are supposed to be "starlight", but it seems like they're useless in the dark without the IR lights on.

Based on my limited experience I'm thinking that the issue is simply that we're using a dome camera where a turret or bullet camera is appropriate and that N22AL12 just doesn't have a good enough implementation of the starlight technology.

Have others been having this experience too and any recommendations on what turret to get?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the one N22AL12 I purchased for an experimental setup; make sure the screws are tightened equally and that nothing is getting in contact with the lens

dimammx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also make sure inside of the dome is clean and oil free. lens gasket sometimes leaves an oily residue on the dome.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In general it is recommended that you use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)

cameras to look at... read the reviews

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm looking at mine now and i see what you're talking about. it has an extreme fisheye or vignetting effect. there is some reflection of the dome. the lens and dome are clean. to the OP take a screenshot and post it.

SuperChimp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I don't have an issue with the one N22AL12 I purchased for an experimental setup; make sure the screws are tightened equally and that nothing is getting in contact with the lens
I did that, they all are tightened equally (as far as they can go without over torquing). That doesn't seem to be the issue.

Also make sure inside of the dome is clean and oil free. lens gasket sometimes leaves an oily residue on the dome.
I checked and it seems to be clean, I'll try again.

In general it is recommended that you use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)

cameras to look at... read the reviews

IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
Thanks I will look into these and purchase one of them.

i'm looking at mine now and i see what you're talking about. it has an extreme fisheye or vignetting effect. there is some reflection of the dome. the lens and dome are clean. to the OP take a screenshot and post it.
Yup. This. Check out my photo from a few minutes ago. Yes there is a ladder in front of it, but the fisheye effect you see here is present at all times regardless of whether I have a latter in the foreground.

Attachments

SuperChimp

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting observation (FYI I bought this based on your recommendations on another site). I think the other concern here is that the starlight feature doesn't seem to really engage at all. In low light there's really not very good performance unless the IRs are on, which of course creates the fisheye effect.

Do you think my application would be better served with a turret cam?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting observation (FYI I bought this based on your recommendations on another site). I think the other concern here is that the starlight feature doesn't seem to really engage at all. In low light there's really not very good performance unless the IRs are on, which of course creates the fisheye effect.

i'm learning these starlight cams really need some ambient light or IR to see at night period. while you can switch it to color at night and play with the gain to make it look good, as soon as something moves it will be a giant blur so you're back to the drawing board. bottom line is there's no substitution for light, and even a starlight with IR is meh. I just bought a starlight plus varifocal and it's zoomed into the mailbox 100 ft away, some of the specs indicate the IR will go that far but in real world applications it falls way short. sure i can see someone at the mailbox, but i can't identify if they are holding a gun, middle finger, or if it's a topless girl at night :) if you look at posts and videos of most guys on here, they are in a lit area, house lights nearby, street lights, etc. makes a big difference. i'm in a mandatory low light area, i can't have more than 25w bulbs outside, and trust me that's not enough. next step for me is an IR blaster. to to answer your question, a turret will give you less dome reflection since it doesnt have any, only reason i bought the dome was due to it's low price and wanted to tinker .

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @SuperChimp

I think these are good values at the deal that was at B&H

If you have enough ambient light you can try to keep the cameras in color mode. These would be good with that.

Also with the wide FOV these work really well when subjects are closer to the cameras.

For most outdoor locations I like a turret form better... still worth keeping these starlight domes at the price point they were at.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

I purchased one of them, Definitely NOT on the same caliber with the Starvis sensor Cams, Have the same issues with poor IR Quality at night, I would not purchase another, A good application for these would be Inside a building with ambient light, That being said, Not bad for the $$$ but do not expect the quality as the Starvis.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I also noticed they removed the Starlight nomenclature from the listing :eek: