***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
camera 7 does not show up on port 8

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Always click off the registration page and then back to see changes. Or use the refresh button at bottom

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok did that and camera 7 plugged in port 8 never showed up.

Plugging camera 7 in to port nvr 10 to see what happens

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It doesnt matter. We care about port 8 and the new camera right now. Plug cam 8 (the new one) into port 7

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
plugging new cam to port 7 and new cam does not show up

Ipcamncvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR that I have does not have the built in POE. I plan to use two different POE switches, one for the upstairs and the other for the ground floor.

When doing the table setup of the system for testing and initial configuring, what would be some pointers to use while setting up the cameras on the 2 switches?

Thank you!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Do them one at a time and change the IP address on each before going to the next as they'll all default to 192.168.1.108

Assuming theyre on the same network as the NVR, you should be able to go to the camera registration page, search and see and add them

Consider giving each camera the same password as the NVR, makes things simpler down the road.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As long as you haven't messed with the network settings too much on the camera, or a its new camera, no need.
Just fire up NVR, plug in camera, wait 2-5 minutes, Presto.

Most problems I've seen with PoE NVR's are self inflicted
  • Setup P2P on NVR on initialize
  • Use an extender and try and run 3-4 cameras off one PoE port (it can be done but not for the novice)
  • Set their NVR to DHCP and cant find it
  • Mess with the Config tool and screw up networking settings upon setup
  • Mess with the switch network settings
  • Instead of waiting a few minutes for the NVR to find the camera, they manually Add it to the bottom pane- which usually results in a 37777 port and no ability to connect via the IE icon
  • Change something on their LAN and cannot connect to the NVR
  • Forget they changed the password on the camera
Is there a thread on using an external POE switch with a POE NVR?

Just set up cams for a friend yesterday. 5 of his cameras are on an external POE switch on the other side of the house. That switch is on Port 1 of the NVR.

I added the cams one at a time. The NVR wouldn't inialize them itself. It did show with the 108 address in the top frame but the NVR wouldn't let me add or edit them. So I connected my laptop to the external switch and changed the cam to a static address in the NVR range, but below what it was using for a direct-connected cam. It then found it and allowed us to manually add from top to bottom.

That worked for the first four cameras. Once we got to the fifth the NVR recognized it existed but it stayed at a red status and wouldn't show video. Gave an error on screen about unreachable.

If we took a working cam from an NVR port (IP 1.70) and put it into the external POE it came up fine, keeping it's IP. Then we put the original non-working cam in an NVR port and it adopted it but gave it the same IP as the cam that we moved external (1.70). The direct connect video showed in both D5 and D6 frames. It's as if the NVR forgot it already gave out the 1.70 address and just assigned it again. I changed the IP on the external camera in it's interface and then in the NVR but it wouldn't reconnect. Had to plug direct to an NVR port to get adopted and then back to the external to get it working again.

There is something goofy about the 5th cam on an external POE.

Any suggestions? I can move to a new thread if preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just set up cams for a friend yesterday. 5 of his cameras are on an external POE switch on the other side of the house. That switch is on Port 1 of the NVR.
Is this the same issue as in your post here?
Using A PoE Switch to Connect to NVR

I added the cams one at a time. The NVR wouldn't inialize them itself. It did show with the 108 address in the top frame but the NVR wouldn't let me add or edit them.
Right, because they are effectively connected to a 10.1.1.x network switch which cant negotiate with the 192.168.1.x cam IP

So I connected my laptop to the external switch and changed the cam to a static address in the NVR rannge, but below what it was using for a direct-connected cam. It then found it and allowed us to manually add from top to bottom.
Yep, now the internal PoE switch sees an IP it can handle

That worked for the first four cameras. Once we got to the fifth the NVR recognized it existed but it stayed at a red status and wouldn't show video. Gave an error on screen about unreachable.

If we took a working cam from an NVR port (IP 1.70) and put it into the external POE it came up fine, keeping it's IP. Then we put the original non-working cam in an NVR port and it adopted it but gave it the same IP as the cam that we moved external (1.70). The direct connect video showed in both D5 and D6 frames. It's as if the NVR forgot it already gave out the 1.70 address and just assigned it again.
I recall someone saying that if you uncheck Enable Arp/Ping at the bottom of the Networking Tab on the camera, it wont ask the NVR for the IP assigned to the port?
"Enable ARP/Ping to set IP address service"
I'm still not sure I understand it but I believe each port on a PoE NVR assigns an unique address to the port. So any camera plugged into that specific port and set to DHCP, will assume that same port number.

I changed the IP on the external camera in it's interface and then in the NVR but it wouldn't reconnect. Had to plug direct to an NVR port to get adopted and then back to the external to get it working again.

I have no understanding of how PoE switches are built or work, and this is nothing more than a wild assed guess, but something that may be related is that the Dahua built-in poE switches seem to be arranged/built in groups of 4 ports. I Know this because Ive had segments of 4 ports go bad when one port took a voltage surge from a lightning strike. Maybe there's a physical barrier that only allows 4 IP's to one port?

Way over my head, maybe someone else can explain it..

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is this the same issue as in your post here?
Using A PoE Switch to Connect to NVR

I added the cams one at a time. The NVR wouldn't inialize them itself. It did show with the 108 address in the top frame but the NVR wouldn't let me add or edit them.
Right, because they are effectively connected to a 10.1.1.x network switch which cant negotiate with the 192.168.1.x cam IP

So I connected my laptop to the external switch and changed the cam to a static address in the NVR rannge, but below what it was using for a direct-connected cam. It then found it and allowed us to manually add from top to bottom.
Yep, now the internal PoE switch knows sees and IP it can handle

If we took a working cam from an NVR port (IP 1.70) and put it into the external POE it came up fine, keeping it's IP. Then we put the original non-working cam in an NVR port and it adopted it but gave it the same IP as the cam that we moved external (1.70). The direct connect video showed in both D5 and D6 frames. It's as if the NVR forgot it already gave out the 1.70 address and just assigned it again.
I recall someone saying that if you uncheck Enable Arp/Ping at the bottom of the Networking Tab on the camera, it wont ask the NVR for the IP assigned to the port?
"Enable ARP/Ping to set IP address service"
I'm still not sure I understand it but I believe each port on a PoE NVR assigns and address to the port. So any camera plugged into that specific port and set to DHCP, will assume that same port number.

I changed the IP on the external camera in it's interface and then in the NVR but it wouldn't reconnect. Had to plug direct to an NVR port to get adopted and then back to the external to get it working again.

I have no understanding of how PoE switches are built or work, and this is nothing more than a wild assed guess, but something that may be related is that the Dahua built-in poE switches seem to be arranged/built in groups of 4 ports. I Know this because Ive had segments of 4 ports go bad when one port took a voltage surge from a lightning strike. Maybe there's a physical barrier that only allows 4 IP's to one port?

Way over my head, maybe someone else can explain it..

[/QUOTE]

YUP! Same NVR. He was ready to do the install yesterday and I completely forgot about that thread! I had shut it all down months ago and boxed it up so had to refresh myself on the issue.

I'm betting you are correct on there being a limit of 4 per port. It's consistent with what we were seeing when trying to get the 5th working.

I put the idea in his head to move the NVR to the switch location and save all the headache. I vaguely remember that when I power cycled the NVR on the bench I think it screwed up the four on the switch.

It will be a week or two before I get over there to play with it again.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive never tried using multiple cams on a single PoE port on a Dahua NVR so you have more experience than I!

What I do is run the NVR to an external switch that then connects to the LAN
I add cameras to that same external switch and they of course all have 192.168.1.x addresses like the NVR

Then I still use some of the PoE ports on the NVR (assigned 10.1.1.x IP's) as well as grab cameras from the external switch (192.168.1.x IPs') and both live happily on the NVR for recording

comboPoEandExternalswitch.jpg

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ive never tried using multiple cams on a single PoE port on a Dahua NVR so you have more experience than I!

What I do is run the NVR to an external switch that then connects to the LAN
I add cameras to that same external switch and they of course all have 192.168.1.x addresses like the NVR

Then I still use some of the PoE ports on the NVR (assigned 10.1.1.x IP's) as well as grab cameras from the external switch (192.168.1.x IPs') and both live happily on the NVR for recording

View attachment 79632
Oh! That could work too! Much easier than fighting the POE ports.

avspin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread! Just bought from Andy an NVR5216-16P-4KS2E.
Followed your instructions.
I moved two of 16 cameras (4K, IP, Dahua mfg) over from a Q-see NVR and they popped on fine and recording. Had to change the camera passwords but the are working.
Two questions; they are recording constantly. I would like to have them record on motion. Did I loose this functionality or and I missing a setting.
And secondly I can't log into the NVR through a browser I keep getting locked out. I tried different browsers but all with the same lock out. What am doing wrong.
Thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On recording motion only (which I don’t recommend because you WILL miss shit), look at post #2 and simply remove recording for “regular” and only keep motion.

On login, try another browser, but it should be the same as the login credentials you gave it at setup. If you can login to the machine interface, you can login via a browser.