***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
NVR will often try and enable P2P when reset so check that.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m assuming you didn’t otherwise use the configuration tool to initialize the cameras? Never “initialize” cams when using a PoE NVR. Simply plug in as noted, navigate to the camera UI via the IE button and answer the couple of questions.

Also by default the cameras will assume the same login/pass as the NVR this way.

Once you use the configuration tool or hit the initialize button on the registration page screen, all bets are off. Time to factory reset the camera.

Turis

n3wb
Reaction score
No additional tool was used. Some time ago 1st camera was connected having monitor connected directly to the NVR. And this one had Port1 assigned. All further cameras got connected/configured via NVR web interface, never got POE Port assigned. And while experimenting now (through the web interface), even the 1st camera lost Port1.
Do you think there are more chances to make it work by reseting NVR or Cameras? Wonder where are those settings, which are causing issues, are stored - on the cameras or NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you played with the switch settings, I doubt resetting the NVR will help. Typically it’s the camera.

I wouldn’t advise using the NVR interface to manage the cameras.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, went through all the threads and none of the aproaches worked for me, kept trying for several house, but maybe I just did it wrong at some point.

Issue - cameras do not get Port1, Port2 and etc. assigned, only 37777, for this reason can not access their Webpages through IE eventhough icon is blue. Can I just reset NVR or cameras somehow and start with a blank page? initially, there was just 1 camera connected, 1st PoE port was GREEN and camera also had Port1 assigned - Webpage worked! But while adding more cameras, something got messed up and now even the 1st one lost Port1)

I can still View cameras, but can't access them to change the settings.

NVR - 8P (internal PoE)
Cameras were added via button "Add", IPs were assigned via DHCP:
View attachment 94161

All PoE ports are in RED, assuming this is because none of the cameras got Port1, Port2 ... assigned in the Camera List.
View attachment 94165

NVR network:
View attachment 94164
37777 is the TCP port for dahua cameras. I’ve never seen the HTTP port as that. Have you tried resetting them from ConfigTool?

Turis

n3wb
Reaction score
Out of ideas what to do next, still not working (Port1 not assigned, 37777 is assigned) after trying:
  1. Disabled P2P
  2. Reset camera while connected to the NVR
  3. Removed camera from the NVR camera list
  4. Disconnected cables of all cameras
  5. Rebooted NVR
  6. Plugged in a single camera (the one which was reset with a physical button inside cameras body)
  7. Camera appears in the top pane as not initialized (red cross), port 37777 and remains in this state (waited for an hour). Normally, does Port1 get assigned while camera is still in the top pane of the screen or only when it's moved to the bottom?
  8. After 1h waiting, decided to initialize it via the button on the Web interface, DHCP enabled, camera moved to the bottom of the screen. Port remains 37777...
  9. Connected all other cameras as well...
All NVR POE ports are shown as red circles as if no POE cameras are connected... Although connected cameras actually run fine (except for the Port1-8 being unassigned).

As a workaround connected laptop directly to the NVR with UTP cable and accessed needed cameras directly (wanted to switch off LED light).

ogulf

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 4108HS-8P-4KS2 NVR with 5 PTZ cams (all Dahua : 1 SD22204UE-GN and 4 SD1A404XB-GNR). All assigned to a "Port x", fully OK, Web access with IE icon.
I've bought 3 cams HDBW2431TM-AS-S2, but all 3 can't be assignes to a "port x", only to the 37777 port. I've tried with each cam, one by one only. Never with 2 or 3 at the same time.
Following the instructions, i've reseted one cam, unpluged it, rebooted my NVR.... Always 37777 port.
Trying to initialize it with the NVR's GUI, only to set DHCP and to uncheck P2P and Auto update ==> always 37777 port...

There is something I don't understand : if you reset the camera with the reset button, it will automaticly set static IP. Without initializing it (thrue the NVR or 192.168.1.108 for the cam behind he router), how can it turned into "DHCP" mode ?

NVR's version : V4.001.0000005.1, Date version: 13/07/2021
IPC's version : 10/2020 (don't remember the whole version)

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 4108HS-8P-4KS2 NVR with 5 PTZ cams (all Dahua : 1 SD22204UE-GN and 4 SD1A404XB-GNR). All assigned to a "Port x", fully OK, Web access with IE icon.
I've bought 3 cams HDBW2431TM-AS-S2, but all 3 can't be assignes to a "port x", only to the 37777 port. I've tried with each cam, one by one only. Never with 2 or 3 at the same time.
Following the instructions, i've reseted one cam, unpluged it, rebooted my NVR.... Always 37777 port.
Trying to initialize it with the NVR's GUI, only to set DHCP and to uncheck P2P and Auto update ==> always 37777 port...

There is something I don't understand : if you reset the camera with the reset button, it will automaticly set static IP. Without initializing it (thrue the NVR or 192.168.1.108 for the cam behind he router), how can it turned into "DHCP" mode ?

NVR's version : V4.001.0000005.1, Date version: 13/07/2021
IPC's version : 10/2020 (don't remember the whole version)
The last time I did an update of the underlying POE camera, the "port X" changed too to "37777 ONVIF". Although all was working well (eg notifications and stuff), I rebooted the NVR a couple of times (who doesn't choke his NVR once in a while) and now all cams went "automagically" back to "port X".

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t manually add them or use the initialize button.
Reset camera, unplug, reboot NVR, plug camera back in, wait,wait,wait… then use the refresh button at bottom and it should transfer to the bottom pane with a port x

As @catcamstar mentions, reboot the NVR again if needed, but don’t try to manually add or initialize.

Once you get a green indicator and x port, use the IE icon to access and initialize via the camera web GUI

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so what about mobile viewing on smart phone? Wouldn't this require P2P? Enable this after everything all set up?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so if remote access is not needed (really it may not be needed) safe to just set up then disconnect from network, device runs standalone?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DO NOT follow instructions telling you to use the config tool or switch the IP of your cameras or initialize anything..!

With NVR's typically with a -P designation (Built-n PoE switch - example: 4208-8P-4KS2) none of that is required and it will often make a mess of things.

If you have a Dahua NVR with built-in PoE switch

*On initial setup for the NVR and cameras, DO NOT enable P2P in the popup that asks you this. Uncheck that along with Auto updates.

1- Fire up NVR using a mouse and monitor to do the initial setup, security questions, password, leave default Networking/IP alone (Verify it is static IP at 192.168.1.108 - assuming a standard home network of 192.168.1.x ), If you wish you could change the NVR IP address to some other static number on the 192.168.1.x network, This might be helpful if you were to add other Dahua cameras later outside of the built in PoE ports via say an external PoE switch as Dahau cameras connected this way will also default to the .108 address and create a conflict. . (I like to use .254 as I’ve yet to see that get assigned randomly by the router DHCP pool in a normal home environment)

Then disconnect from the NVR and never go back to that machine interface. Dont try and make any other setting changes here. You can change it all later in the Web interface.

2- Plug in your cameras to the NVR. Dont do anything else. The beauty of a PoE NVR is you dont have to do a damn thing, just plug them in, dont go clicking on buttons and shit when you dont know what youre doing, It WILL F$@k things up.

*Dont try to manually add them or force them to the bottom pane. Wait. Sometimes it takes a bit.

3 Open a browser on a PC on your network (again assuming a standard home network of 192.168.1.x) and type 192.168.1.108 or the IP you changed it to, and hit Enter. You will go to the WebGUI interface of your NVR. This is how you will manage your NVR from now on. Login with the name and pass you assigned the NVR

4- Assuming the newer 4.0 dark interface, Choose "Management" at top left then "Camera". This will take you to a page (Registration) that looks like the thumbnail below. The NVR will have automagically assigned each camera a channel and an IP address in the 10.1.1.x range** and a port of 1,2,3 etc.. You can NOT access the cameras without going through the NVR interface and using the Blue IE icons. See thumbnail below. (well you can access them but its a PIA and not necessary)

5- Click on the BLUE IE icon to open the individual cameras Web GUI to make changes to your camera settings, IVS, etc. The login for each new camera will default to Admin/your NVR password
The Login and Password for each camera will be identical and the same as your NVR. Dont F$@K with them!
*On initial login/setup for the cameras, DO NOT enable P2P in the popup that asks you this. Uncheck that along with Auto updates.

View attachment 58246

* It seems some older cameras and/or cameras that had already been initialized with another NVR, may retain their "old" password, but new Dahua cams out of the box will assume the same login credentials of the NVR via synching.
If you see a red dot next to a camera, and/or a gray IE icon that does not open the camera GUI in a new window as expected, its likely that the password on the camera is different than that of the NVR. If so, using the "pencil" icon, edit the password information for that camera to the password you may have previously set on another NVR or installation.

*The Edit dialog does not change anything on the camera. It simply allows you to edit the information of the camera that the NVR uses to communicate with the camera.

View attachment 66178

Notes

A -When you go to the camera registration page, do not try and add cameras attached to the built-in PoE ports manually to move them from the top pane to the bottom. Let the NVR do it automagically, May need to unplug them and reboot once. WAIT! It may take a few minutes for them to appear in the bottom pane. DO NOT be tempted to manually add them or move them from top to bottom panes.

If the camera does move to the bottom and is assigned a correct 10.1.1.x address but you continue to get a red indicator, another option is to open the camera access panel, and while still connected to the NVR, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. Then unplug it, delete the entry from the registration page, and plug it back in.

B- If using a Dahua NVR with the bullt in Poe switch, cameras using the built in PoE ports and showing port 37777* can’t be reached via the interface (IE button) as noted. Usually see this if you try to add them manually from the top pane to the bottom. (Or if you are using a splitter or extender and trying to run multiple cameras off of One PoE port. I dont recommend it) If you let the NVR assign and pass credentials by itself, they’ll show up as port 1,2,3 etc and you’ll be able to access them via the IE button

*UPDATED:
When using the built-in PoE ports, the NVR will assign them an IP (10.1.1.x) and a local port (1,2,3) and they will automatically populate the bottom pane as described above. You cant add them manually or it will mess up.

On cameras connected via external switch (like the ones shown at 192.168.1.x in the thumbnail below) you search for them in the top pane, and then have to add them to the bottom manually. These cameras connected via external switch will use port 37777. These you need to add one at a time and login to the camera and assign it an IP other than 192.168.1.108 as that is the default IP for all Dahua cams. Then add another and assign it another IP and so on, one at a time.

Also, cameras using an external switch CAN be accessed directly via their IP address.

View attachment 66033

C- I’ve found it works best not to mess with any settings other than Network and Recording schedule on the NVR. I make all Image, Exposure, Event, and FPS/Bitrate changes on the camera itself >>>> and it pushes them to the NVR fine. Making image and Event changes on the NVR does not always push them correctly to the camera however.

D- For day to day viewing/playback and downloading of clips on your home network, simply download and install Dahua SmartPSS on a computer on that network and use it. This is simpler and better than trying to use the NVR web interface all the time just to view cameras or download footage. That said, dont try and use SmartPSS to adjust or mange the camera image or Event/MD/IVS settings Do this on the camera itself.

E) Note: Its best to limit changes to Image, Encoding, Bitrate/FPS, IVS, Motion Detection, etc to one device or the other, I recommend using the camera interface. If you make some changes on the camera and others on the NVR, it will mess up something eventually

Questions:

Does the pencil icon pop-up on the nvr camera registration page modify the camera password or is that only so you can login into the cam?
It just allows you to enter the proper credentials already on the camera for the NVR to communicate with the camera, it does not modify the login/password of the camera

You said when you plug a cam into the NVR it changes the camera password to the nvr password but i didnt' find this to be true.
On a new camera or one factory defaulted and using the built-in PoE ports on the NVR, I can assure you it assigns the NVR password to the camera. If you have changed the camera settings somehow directly, installed the camera on another NVR previously, changed the IP or messed with onvif or ports, it may not adopt the NVR credentials and you may need to A) use the "old" password you originally set for the camera, or B) factory default the camera and start over.

If my cameras are now on the NVR private network of 10.1.1.x how can I view them without going through the NVR interface first?
The same way you would with an NVR without built-in PoE ports. By using SmartPSS (desktop), or the Dahua Mobile apps DMSS, iDMSS or gDMSS. They will "see through" the NVR to allow you to view your cameras. Remember, use these apps to view and download video clips. If you want to make changes to the Image, Events etc, do it on the camera itself.

Can I still use a VPN? Wont that be a problem again with the cameras on the 10.1.1.x network?
Yes. You will access them the same way as above. The VPN puts you inside your network as if you are sitting at your desk at home.
"I like to use .254 as I’ve yet to see that get assigned randomly by the router DHCP pool in a normal home environment"

This site has AT&T U-verse router that has default gateway of 192.168.1.254, so be careful what static address you assign.

And, what if someone wants to use P2P? Does it work? Thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True, and those who are far more network savvy than I would suggest a dedicated route in the router and/or a vlan.

Yes P2P works, but it also complicates some things. Not sure the IE icon access works with P2P for example… I haven’t tested it but have had a number of folks come here with problems that originated with P2P and turning it off solved them.

Last edited:

Turis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,
came back to give a heads up and thank to everyone who responded on my request, finally SUCCESS! All 6 cameras got Ports assigned.
Process that worked for me:
1. Reset NVR through GUI: Maintain -> Manager -> Default -> Factory defaults. Amongst other settings, it also changed: Plug and Play - unflagged, H.265 Auto Switch - unflagged, P2P - unflagged. But whether it helped or not, can't confirm.
2. Did not perform any reset on cameras, just unplugged all from the NVR.
3. Plugged back in camera one by one. Waited for a few mins expecting camera to move to the bottom screen pane, but that did not help, it just stayed in the top pane with the green check mark. Although this worked after rebooting the NVR! So repeated NVR reboot after plugging in each camera: Plug camera -> Reboot NVR -> immediately find camera in the bottom pane. Did not change any IP settings, only entered camera password after it appeared in the bottom screen pane.
4. Switched P2P ON, rebooted NVR - cameras still have their Ports assigned. NVR POE ports are shown as green as well. So far so good!

Guys, went through all the threads and none of the aproaches worked for me, kept trying for several house, but maybe I just did it wrong at some point.

Issue - cameras do not get Port1, Port2 and etc. assigned, only 37777, for this reason can not access their Webpages through IE eventhough icon is blue. Can I just reset NVR or cameras somehow and start with a blank page? initially, there was just 1 camera connected, 1st PoE port was GREEN and camera also had Port1 assigned - Webpage worked! But while adding more cameras, something got messed up and now even the 1st one lost Port1)

I can still View cameras, but can't access them to change the settings.

NVR - 8P (internal PoE)
Cameras were added via button "Add", IPs were assigned via DHCP:
View attachment 94161

All PoE ports are in RED, assuming this is because none of the cameras got Port1, Port2 ... assigned in the Camera List.
View attachment 94165

NVR network:
View attachment 94164

Frigide

n3wb
Reaction score
DO NOT follow instructions telling you to use the config tool or switch the IP of your cameras or initialize anything..!
I followed your instructions. I changed the IP in de machine to 10.0.0.xxx and then went to the web interface.
I connected a camera and after a while the NVR connected.
I have a green light and the camera is port 1. The IE is blue and a opens a new tab.

But in the new tab the camera is not opening. The 10.0.0.xxx:10080 don't exist.
Any idea where it is going wrong?