***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
SmartPSS- use this for live view/playback/pulling footage" I'll download the latest version of SmartPSS, but should I add my NVR using IP address or S/N?
Camera- make ALL image, event, exposure, etc changes on the camera itself"

For me, pss still falls kinda short. I think the web gui for the nvr is highly capable for playback and archiving footage. Absolutely log into the cameras gui for image and smart recording set up. Check Pss and the nvr to see which you prefer more..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative thread. Back in January, I followed bigredfish steps exactly and the initial/setup was spot on. That is, the IP addresses of the Dahua NVR and Dahua cams were automatically assigned and connected.

Just a few questions so I understand correctly for future cams, etc...........

In post#1 its mentioned on initial/setup for the NVR and cameras, do not enable P2P and uncheck auto updates. A couple of weeks ago I did a factory reset of my Dahua NVR and forgot to disable P2P during initial set up. But immediately AFTER all the cameras were registered/assigned, I realized that P2P was enabled so I then disabled P2P. Any harm in doing what I did? If P2P is disabled, will I be able to see my cams in the gDMSS app?
You should be fine if you disabled it on the NVR, check and be sure its disabled on the cameras also.

In post#24 it reads,
"NVR- use this for master recording and network setting" You are referring to the WebGUI interface of the NVR? Always yes
SmartPSS- use this for live view/playback/pulling footage" I'll download the latest version of SmartPSS, but should I add my NVR using IP address or S/N? IP address - If you are using an NVR DO NOT install the 'PC-NVR" option upon install of SmartPSS.
Camera- make ALL image, event, exposure, etc changes on the camera itself"

Post#33/35 DWinters1979 mentions they switch their cam into a different port but it didn't work. bigredfish says they need to manually move the cables connecting to the ports. I currently have all my NVR5208-8P-4KS2E ports being used by 5 - IPC-B5442E-ZE and 3 - IPC-T5442TM-AS. So if I wanted to switch the cam in port 1 with the cam in port 8, it would work with no problems? Also, would the cam that was switched from port 1 to port 8 takes its IP address with it or just take port 8 IP address? Hopefully that makes sense.
Typically if you havent changed anything, the swap will work fine. The Port actually designates the IP so the camera will adopt what the NVR tells it. Port#1 is usually IP 10.1.1.65 and they go up from there regardless of which camera you plug into it.
My Answers in RED above in your quoted post

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

bigredfish - I just confirmed P2P is disabled on NVR and on the cameras. Per your suggestion, I'll add my NVR to SmartPSS using my IP address and not install the "PC-NVR" option.

I plan on installing gDMSS but every youtube video I watch, they enable P2P. How else can I use gDMSS without P2P enabled atleast on the NVR?

Speaking of gDMSS, are you using gDMSS or the replacement app DMSS?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You use the IP of the machine same as when you setup SmartPSS

For remote viewing you really should use a vpn such as OpenVPN. If you have an Asus router it’s pretty simple as it’s built in

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So my understanding is if P2P is disabled on my nvr and cams, the gDMSS will still work if I use the IP of the NVR when I setup gDMSS? If my understanding is correct, I'm hoping I can view cams on my wifi and while I'm away from the house.

The subject of vpn is above my pay grade but I'm willing to learn. That said, I don't have an Asus router. My neighbor uses Surfshark.....I'm not sure if its the same concept as OpenVPN. He did show me Surfshark and it appeared to be a software program that he logs into before he does any internet "stuff" to hide his IP address, etc. Are you familiar with Surfshark and can that be used instead of Open VPN?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So you use your IP as when you’re on wifi at home. When remote, you first activate OpenVPN and it effectively creates a secure tunnel into your home network, so your “wifi” address still works because you’re as if you’re sitting at your desk.

There are two different types of vpn.
1- A service you subscribe to to hide your internet browsing. Like your neighbor. That won’t work
2- a client/server vpn such as OpenVPN which allows you to connect securely to the network the server is on (home in this case) with a client that is matched only to that server.

it’s the secure way to remotely view your cameras while remote. Search the forum for OpenVPN there are many threads.

The hands down easiest way is to spend $100 on an Asys router as the server software is already integrated and you simply download the client and you’re good to go.

Ask around about specific Asus models with OpenVPN

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So my understanding is if P2P is disabled on my nvr and cams, the gDMSS will still work if I use the IP of the NVR when I setup gDMSS? If my understanding is correct, I'm hoping I can view cams on my wifi and while I'm away from the house.

The subject of vpn is above my pay grade but I'm willing to learn. That said, I don't have an Asus router. My neighbor uses Surfshark.....I'm not sure if its the same concept as OpenVPN. He did show me Surfshark and it appeared to be a software program that he logs into before he does any internet "stuff" to hide his IP address, etc. Are you familiar with Surfshark and can that be used instead of Open VPN?
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

Asus Ac-1900 router

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rburditt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I just received a NVR5208-8P-4KS2E and IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras for my house. I somewhat followed this thread but for now performed the setup using P2P just to get things up and running and b/c I don't have a router for Open VPN. I'm trying to use the new DMSS app for remote viewing but it only works if I'm at home on wifi. I did finally start getting push notifications when outside of wifi. Would anyone know why that would be?

I've done a little searching and I don't see many threads on DMSS. Are people using it?

I'd like to eventually add an Asus router but my current setup is AT&T fiber modem which is plugged into google wifi mesh. Would inserting an Asus router be complicated or screw things up?

I was planning on using DMSS for push notifications and to view the cameras almost exclusively. Maybe that's not the best approach?

I hope piggy-backing on this thread is the right place for these questions. Thank you!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The DMSS app push notifications should work in theory (though the app and its predecessors have a checkered history with notifications)

I’m not a P2P expert so not sure what the problem would be viewing remote, did you add the NVR via P2P on the app?

rburditt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, I deleted it from the app and reinstalled using P2P and it worked. I missed that detail when setting it up. I could start another thread with this but if my setup is fairly risky, is it difficult to add an OpenVPN router to my current setup which is the AT&T fiber modem -> google wifi/mesh? I'm guessing I'd plug the new router into the modem and then the google mesh into the router or would it need some configuration to make that work? My network knowledge is pretty limited.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd replace the mesh with the new router. I have the mesh too and the advanced networking is very limited. But I love the mesh. Love it. There are other mesh systems that have deeper networking capabilities than the Google mesh but it's bucks. The Google mesh was bucks too. I would never go back to a single router setup, regardless of vpn. I don't need remote viewing much now. I just open the port forward in the Google app when I need it and then delete it again right after. Run and gun. If I need serious remote viewing I'll have to go another way with it.

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E and a few extra cams from Andy. It's replacing my current NVR-5208. Earlier this year, with the much appreciated help from this "***PSA" the NVR-5208 and cams were easy to initialize/setup.

But need advice on the following questions/answers I posed to Andy -
"After initializing the NVR-5216, can I simply unplug the cams from the NVR-5208 and plug them into the NVR-5216 OR do I need to reset the cams? Yes, that is fine. But if you want to add easy, can make factory default on the cams and re-add again on the NVR5216 one.
So you are saying is I can make the installation easier by factory default the cams and re-adding them to the new NVR? Yes, that is right
Which way would you do it? Just do this through the NVR5208-8P-4KS2E
How to factory default the cameras? System setting, has default/factory default, just click factory default then can be defaulted."

1) With the above answers in mind, I would think after initializing the NVR-5216 and simply unplugging my exisiting cams and plugging them into the 5216 that is easier THAN factory default my cams on the NVR-5208.....because wouldn't that mean I would have to re-zoom, etc. Unless there is another reason he is suggesting the default that I'm overlooking? What would you do?

2) bigredfish and other members definitely have knowledge on bitrates, exposure, fps, etc.........is it from having a photography background, tweeking the settings and seeing what works best, etc? I just don't want to break the camera attempting to manipulate the settings, etc.

3) I'm just going to swap out my WD purple hard drive into the NVR-5216. There is nothing worth keeping on it. Should I format it first before taking it out of the NVR-5208? I was thing of getting another WD purple hard drive.......besides installing it, do I need to do something in the NVR settings to tell it that it has 2 hard drives OR will the NVR automatically record to the 2nd HD once the 1st HD is full?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
3) I'm just going to swap out my WD purple hard drive into the NVR-5216. There is nothing worth keeping on it. Should I format it first before taking it out of the NVR-5208? I was thing of getting another WD purple hard drive.......besides installing it, do I need to do something in the NVR settings to tell it that it has 2 hard drives OR will the NVR automatically record to the 2nd HD once the 1st HD is full?
Reformat in the new nvr. It'll recognize each drive you put in there automatically.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E and a few extra cams from Andy. It's replacing my current NVR-5208. Earlier this year, with the much appreciated help from this "***PSA" the NVR-5208 and cams were easy to initialize/setup.

But need advice on the following questions/answers I posed to Andy -
"After initializing the NVR-5216, can I simply unplug the cams from the NVR-5208 and plug them into the NVR-5216 OR do I need to reset the cams? Yes, that is fine. But if you want to add easy, can make factory default on the cams and re-add again on the NVR5216 one.
So you are saying is I can make the installation easier by factory default the cams and re-adding them to the new NVR? Yes, that is right
Which way would you do it? Just do this through the NVR5208-8P-4KS2E
How to factory default the cameras? System setting, has default/factory default, just click factory default then can be defaulted."

1) With the above answers in mind, I would think after initializing the NVR-5216 and simply unplugging my exisiting cams and plugging them into the 5216 that is easier THAN factory default my cams on the NVR-5208.....because wouldn't that mean I would have to re-zoom, etc. Unless there is another reason he is suggesting the default that I'm overlooking? What would you do?

2) bigredfish and other members definitely have knowledge on bitrates, exposure, fps, etc.........is it from having a photography background, tweeking the settings and seeing what works best, etc? I just don't want to break the camera attempting to manipulate the settings, etc.

1- Andy is right in that that may save troubles down the road, I would try simply plugging in ONE AT A TIME and seeing if they are recognized first. They likely have static IP addresses now on your LAN network? The new NVR MAY assign them the appropriate 101.1.1x address if all goes well. The login/pass will likely stay the same as they are now, so you may have to use the edit icon (little pencil) to tell the NVR what the correct login/pass is.

2- 8 years of trial and error

3- The new NVR will automatically format and recognize how many drives you have. Shouldnt need to do anything,

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Shockwave 199 - your answer is appreciated.

bigredfish - I agree, Andy is right that it may save me possible troubles down the road. But if I understand you correctly, you would 1st plug them in ONE AT A TIME and see if they are recognized, check to see if the NVR MAY assign them the 101.1.1x, and edit the correct login/pass if necessary.

If I go Andy's way.......obviously I leave the cams plugged in while doing the NVR factory default (making sure the camera box is ticked), but at what point do I unplug the cameras? The NVR I believe automatically restarts after the factory default process, so do I unplug cameras when it gets to the initialization step?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I would plug one camera in at a time into the new nvr to see if they are just recognized. But when setting up the nvr before hand I would give it the same password as the one you're retiring. That will avoid a possible glitch with password mismatch between nvr and cameras. I think you might be surprised to see the cameras just pop up no problem. Of course the new ones will for sure.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^
Agree with this

Honest answer is I dont know, never defaulted the NVR and cameras all at once, and not real sure of the benefit.

I've plugged plenty of cameras from one NVR to another and had no real issues. If they are currently plugged into PoE ports on the old one and plugging into PoE ports on the new one, they should adopt the new NVR login pass and be assigned an IP in the 10.1.1.x range per the port assignments (beginning with port #1 at 10.1.1.65). Worst case you have to use the pencil icon to tell the NVR the old login info stored on the cameras.

mno64

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the security camera stuff and the information in these forums have been really helpful.

I have a NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E and couple of Dahua 5442 cameras that I bought from Andy connected to them to the PoE ports (as described in this post- thanks!), and the connections, IVS detection, etc. work fine. I also have 2 Amcrest ip4m-1051 wifi cameras with the latest firmware that I've initialized and successfully manually added/registered them as ONVIF to this NVR. I can view them on and record them continuously to the NVR. I've set them via their camera web interface for motion detection and they detect and record to the local SD card and I can play back their motion detection recordings through their web interfaces and amcrest pro software without any issues.

However, the motion detection recordings of these wifi cameras do not show up at all when searching and therefore not available to play back on the NVR or smartPSS software - only the 'general' continuous recording is available to play back. I've even checked that their motion detection events are logged using the ONVIF device manager software. What I'd like to do is record continuously and get the motion detection events of these wifi cameras to the NVR, and only record the motion detection events to the local camera SD card.

Any ideas if I even have a shot at recording the motion detection events of these amcrest wifi cameras to the NVR using the onvif connection? I'd really like to make this happen since these cameras will be located where it is very difficult to run an either net cable to. Thanks in advance!

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the security camera stuff and the information in these forums have been really helpful.

I have a NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E and couple of Dahua 5442 cameras that I bought from Andy connected to them to the PoE ports (as described in this post- thanks!), and the connections, IVS detection, etc. work fine. I also have 2 Amcrest ip4m-1051 wifi cameras with the latest firmware that I've initialized and successfully manually added/registered them as ONVIF to this NVR. I can view them on and record them continuously to the NVR. I've set them via their camera web interface for motion detection and they detect and record to the local SD card and I can play back their motion detection recordings through their web interfaces and amcrest pro software without any issues.

However, the motion detection recordings of these wifi cameras do not show up at all when searching and therefore not available to play back on the NVR or smartPSS software - only the 'general' continuous recording is available to play back. I've even checked that their motion detection events are logged using the ONVIF device manager software. What I'd like to do is record continuously and get the motion detection events of these wifi cameras to the NVR, and only record the motion detection events to the local camera SD card.

Any ideas if I even have a shot at recording the motion detection events of these amcrest wifi cameras to the NVR using the onvif connection? I'd really like to make this happen since these cameras will be located where it is very difficult to run an either net cable to. Thanks in advance!
In my experience with forcing onvif in a dahua nvr, continuous is all you get. It will not log motion events.