PTZ newbie, silly question

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have a few PoE cameras, found out more about issues I didn't want to need to know & for the most I am happy with the basics of BI for home surveillance / monitoring. Just 720 or 1080 PoE's.
I assume the whole idea is for the mounted PTZ device to be able to range around, look closer, broader scan range however I am unclear if there is an "AI" portion / sensor portion of these PoE PTZ's? Do they trigger to a very wide motion range, then are able to detect & zoom in for clarity automatically?
It's all well & good to move a camera around remotely or change the direction / focus dependant on time of day or other issue but what about just having a 165' up & down angle & 135 left right of sensor and it triggers & moves the camera on that trigger? Is that typical expected behavior or is that a few models up from the basic PTZ (I see Amcrest has a new PTZ Poe < $300)?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a few PoE cameras, found out more about issues I didn't want to need to know & for the most I am happy with the basics of BI for home surveillance / monitoring. Just 720 or 1080 PoE's.
I assume the whole idea is for the mounted PTZ device to be able to range around, look closer, broader scan range however I am unclear if there is an "AI" portion / sensor portion of these PoE PTZ's? Do they trigger to a very wide motion range, then are able to detect & zoom in for clarity automatically?
It's all well & good to move a camera around remotely or change the direction / focus dependant on time of day or other issue but what about just having a 165' up & down angle & 135 left right of sensor and it triggers & moves the camera on that trigger? Is that typical expected behavior or is that a few models up from the basic PTZ (I see Amcrest has a new PTZ Poe < $300)?
Hi Brett_F,

Remember the more affordable models will have less features... AI takes compute resources, expect to pay more for those promises. Also, AI is a work in progress.

Nayr had some good notes on a PTZ and setting up triggers iirc.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I'll take a look at those. I know AI is a very much work in progress solution.
I was more trying to ascertain what basic features I should expect. The problem I have is not having a viewing lens wide enough or of "up & down" viewing scale so moving to motion (trigger) makes sense for better coverage. To have a wide motion trigger & allow the lens to move upon activation. Though more moving parts in frigid temps probably means more failed devices as stationary cameras tend to last for a good few years.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
PTZ is, basically, a gimmick for most home systems. Unless you're going to sit there, 24/7, and monitor the thing you're bound to miss something important. It will invariably be looking north when something happens south. Two, or more, cameras with overlapping views is far more efficient and cost effective. That said, you can buy one in the 600-800 dollar range with lots of zoom, auto tracking and facial recognition. Just don't count on it to be 100% accurate all the time.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
PTZ is, basically, a gimmick for most home systems. Unless you're going to sit there, 24/7, and monitor the thing you're bound to miss something important. It will invariably be looking north when something happens south. Two, or more, cameras with overlapping views is far more efficient and cost effective. That said, you can buy one in the 600-800 dollar range with lots of zoom, auto tracking and facial recognition. Just don't count on it to be 100% accurate all the time.
I beg to differ about PTZ. Assuming you have the right setup, know what you are doing with ivs and appropriate situation, PTZ with auto tracking is hard to argue with.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
interesting yes, it was how I thought it should work. Thank you for that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I beg to differ about PTZ. Assuming you have the right setup, know what you are doing with ivs and appropriate situation, PTZ with auto tracking is hard to argue with.
You could get the better detail with a few fixed cameras. The problem with auto tracking is that it is impossible to be accurate all the time. It also cannot track two objects at once. No one said it doesnt work some of the time lick in your image. The only way to perform accurate auto tacking is with multiple sensors where one is taking in the entire scene. Trust me, the one time you need it to work it wont. Murphy's law. Here is a great example of that Dahua Captures mailbox break-in

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Youll find out soon enough that it doesnt work like that.
I dont get alot of traffic but I will make a compilation of every vehicle that came In today.. see what you think

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont get alot of traffic but I will make a compilation of every vehicle that came In today.. see what you think
Its irrelevant. I did not say it doesnt work most of the time. The time you need it it wont work. Several fixed cameras will give you more detail and cover the entire area for the same price.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Its irrelevant. I did not say it doesnt work most of the time. The time you need it it wont work. Several fixed cameras will give you more detail and cover the entire area for the same price.
I hear ya and yes probably true but I'm still gonna make a compilation of today

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @jmcu likes to offer, if you want auto tracking, don't depend on it, and expect it to piss you off.
That's exactly been my experience.

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please do, I am interested to see a variety. It's my back of garage where I get a lot of foot traffic & we've had several attempts to break in to trucks and two disparate garages. So I am curious for the zoom & focus / move features.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Please do, I am interested to see a variety. It's my back of garage where I get a lot of foot traffic & we've had several attempts to break in to trucks and two disparate garages. So I am curious for the zoom & focus / move features.
Working on it now about 8 mins worth of footage.. like they said I have a stationary camera covering that area too as a back up

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Here you go.. all today, not in any particular order.

Another thing.. I turn auto tracking off at night.. headlights wreck havoc

Last edited:

Brett_F

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting. I noticed it traced / tracked down to an almost 90' down angle for an inbound truck but the trigger motion sensor only seem to capture the movement around the 45' mark when backing out, not sure if that was a fine tuning or just how the sensor is triggered (I suspect a bit of both). It does seem to work with the concept / notion I was hoping for.
The headlight dilemma is a good point too, though where I would plan to leverage this, I think it may work to my favor of a single entrance back alley / garage door.
As for having multiple cameras in lieu, I suppose it is preference. I think a PTZ is worth a go for sure for the use I have in mind.
I think I'll test power consumption as well as how much more does a PTZ drain if you were to use it in a area where power consumption is an issue (versus 2-3 standard cameras).

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting. I noticed it traced / tracked down to an almost 90' down angle for an inbound truck but the trigger motion sensor only seem to capture the movement around the 45' mark when backing out, not sure if that was a fine tuning or just how the sensor is triggered (I suspect a bit of both). It does seem to work with the concept / notion I was hoping for.
The headlight dilemma is a good point too, though where I would plan to leverage this, I think it may work to my favor of a single entrance back alley / garage door.
As for having multiple cameras in lieu, I suppose it is preference. I think a PTZ is worth a go for sure for the use I have in mind.
I think I'll test power consumption as well as how much more does a PTZ drain if you were to use it in a area where power consumption is an issue (versus 2-3 standard cameras).
I use an ivs intrusion box